Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

I literally disabled ad block, something i do on sites i like/trust and believe deserve the ad revenue, hit refresh and this blog post was here. Weird. (also I will have the site-skin ads on, but I'll not use the endorsement system as I barely downloaded more than 10 mods and the rest of the mods I've seen seem, out of touch with FO:NVs tone (the only Nexus game I have so far. 1st gaming PC, been stuck on console for years!), but I may in the future if I get oblivion or Skyrim for my PC.

*edit, oh yeah, i can endorse directly for NMM, I suppose I'll endorse them sooner or later.

Edited by TonyKebell

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It ranges in cost from £2.49 a month (around $4) to £39.99 for a lifetime membership (around $64).

That isn't exactly true. When I went premium I fully intended to get the lifetime membership until I was suprised by tax on top (plus tax 20% UK)...

It ranges in cost from £2.49 a month (around $4) to £39.99 for a lifetime membership (around $64).

That isn't exactly true. When I went premium I fully intended to get the lifetime membership until I was suprised by tax on top (plus tax 20% UK)...

Which VAT the Nexus doesn't see... :whistling:

(But yeah, a "plus applicable taxes" disclaimer might be appropriate.)

Which VAT the Nexus doesn't see...

Yeah but the Nexus being a UK run site, displaying in £s makes it odd not to see the VAT included or at least mentioned (not even on the subscriptions page as a warning - ie native VAT costs not included).

And besides when you are talking about ranging in cost you aren't talking about the Nexus you are talking about how much it costs the person paying out the money in the first place.

Edited by TheOutlander

This article reminded me to disable my adblocker. :P Was going to do it ages ago and had done so on my old PC and... I think on this PC before I formatted it. However, I forgot to do it on this PC(after formatting).

I was considering membership already after reading a past article but now there's even more incentive to do so. :)

Dark0ne, I fully support you. I don't block ads. I am eventually planning to but a lifetime Premium membership once I have it saved up, but your statement about everyone even just donating $1 being a big deal has galvanized me. I think I shall become a Supporter very very soon!

Download speeds are not a big deal to me, but keeping the Nexus up and running is! Thanks again for all your hard work, and that of the staff's!

To be honest, i'm not bothered by the endorsement system in any way. As a sort of demonstration of what i mean:

If i had a mod with a 80% endorsement rate, 0 comments or only one word comments then i'd probably ignore that mod and focus on other things.

On the other hand if i had a mod with 0 endorsements but a few comments of praise about specific parts or constructive critism to help me improve then i'd likely work harder on the mod.

Put simply i like to know what people like in order to help me improve the mod, zero feedback means i don't know how to improve it or simply assume people like the way it is. i guess this is because i make mods for myself then stick them up when i got them working for myself, i have no real reason to change them.

About the badwidth caps, i wouldn't mind a larger cap on premiums accounts if it helps with your traffic to lower costs, although i can appreciate it would probably annoy other folks. Maybe an option in the member's section to volunteer yourself for a download cap would be better way about it. Still do whatever you feel necessary for the site Dark0ne, i'm sure most of us will be ebhind you whatever you do ;)