⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

Well i have finally done the right thing and paid my chitty. I use this site evey day and its a fantastic place to be, thanks.

It's also great to get shot of them awful adds; i agree with bdavis that the sound adds are a real intrusion !!!

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd gotten back into Skyrim recently and was thinking about just how dang much I've used Nexus sites over the years, starting back with Oblivion, and started thinking I should really donate considering how integral this place is to enjoying those games fully. Then this post comes along and finally got me off my butt to contribute! In for a lifetime membership, and I'll even turns ads back on if there's an option for that (I don't mind em).

I think you guys would have better results if you slowed down on your expansion before putting restrictions on your users because of a lack of ad revenue. I'll continue using my adblocker, I cannot stand ads in any form. The slower download speed does bother me but I don't think that's the right way to handle this situation, and a one-time fee of $1.60 for a supporter title just to get that speed back seems very petty.

It seems like you're having real problems with premium membership funding if that and ad revenue aren't enough anymore, and I think you need to focus on incentivising premium accounts first and foremost. Not limiting average adblocking user experiences because they don't generate any revenue for you.

It's a shame this network is becoming so large that it has to ask its users to pay for it now.

I use ad blockers and always will. I use it for different reasons, medical ones to be precise because of the sudden moving ads, flickering and flashing causes minor seizures and it is rather irritating to me when I get an unexpected surge of visual stimuli.

I also don't endorse many mods lately because quite frankly, I don't have time to mod my own game due to my own modding projects.

Maybe Dark0ne can add incentives to modders who achieve a certain amount of endorsements. Maybe if someone gets 5k endorsements, they get some special privileges or a nice little name tag.

However I do appreciate all the effort Dark0ne has put into this site - it's been life changing for me.

Once I have my system repaired, I will be donating back the money I made from donations to a life time membership.

Thanks again for this wonderful site,

Tony

I never thought the 1 quid contribution was that much better than the adds (my adblock is disabled for the nexus), that's why I never really considered becoming merely a supporter and was saving up for a lifetime premium. Now that I know I might consider a 1-month premium, to give it a go and then stay as a supporter until I decide to go all out.

Nice incentives, I think you hit the mark on the adds, throttling and skins stuff. It's creative, it's out-of-the-box thinking and it's respectful and just towards users. Not so sure about the endorsement system, not as brilliant as the rest, but does no harm at worst and is a nice touch at best for really active endorsement frenzied people.

Just a thought: Bitcoin is on the rise and would help you generate revenue from those who think paypal is pure evil (like me). You could probably even charge a bit more in bitcoin if you wanted and I would still pay it. Again, just a thought. Edited by indefiance

As usual, oh great Dark0ne, these are some fantastic ideas and you have my personal eternal thanks for keeping the goals of the site all about the mods and not about the cash! I, and many others, appreciate your efforts and sacrifices.

I read through the entire article and really liked what I read. But, I know there are plenty of good folks and fans of the site that cant make it through a wall of text. There is one section I want to quote that i think is REALLY important for folks to understand.

Keep up the great work!

"In this day and age I have a lot of respect for those people who could install an adblocker but don’t, or for those people who have an adblocker installed but choose to disable it on the sites they like and want to support. Even if you can’t afford a Premium Membership, If you do this, you’re supporting the Nexus financially and helping to pay for the upkeep of the sites. Without you, we couldn’t afford to keep these sites running. And I respect that."