Trying to understand

MajorCyco

I am a premium member and have been a member of the Nexus community since 2006. I read through the justification for changing the rules for modders but am having a having a hard time understanding it. For 15 years, Nexus has been my source for mods. A one stop for what's new, what others have recommended, and for updates to favorites.

Today Nexus remains my main place to look, but it has now been supplemented with six Discord channels where mod authors have moved their content. Instead of relying on Vortex to update my mods, I now am back to checking manually. Now I am making backup up my mods for fear that other authors will also pull their content. As a paying customer, I have to ask what value am I getting from this. I have no interest in someone curating my mods or in bundles. As Nexus has been such a critical part of my gaming for so long, I am really disappointed. I would offer for consideration allowing mod authors to opt out to ensure that we can maintain the quality of products for your customers. Again, my perspective, is that this move is tailored for novices at the expense of us older, experienced games.

If there is a business case, as a customer I would really love to understand.

See this is the big thing man. You are paying Nexus Mod. For and i qoute

"Ad-free experience"

"More results"

"Uncapped download speeds"

"Instant downloads"

"Increased PM limit"

"Multi-threaded downloads"

So Ad free.. we all have a means to fix that. More results.. They throttle folks searching the website. Uncapped DL speed... throttle again. Instant downloads... Force manual downloading vs bulk aka throttle. PM limit increase... Thanks? and multi threaded downloads.. No pay no multi download.

The services your paying for isn't the mods. Cause that's against TOS for and allot of other things your paying them to make the access easier. they are forcing mod authors to give up rights. archiving everything even now they are doing it. which is against what they said they are doing as it goes into effect next month.....cause for some reason to delete mods they need to save and archive them first that isn't fishy at all. They want money. Bottom line. The new system works perfectly for paying members. Freemium is literally what we all have been doing now. Manual one by one. Collections will not download all unless premium.

They need to just be honest and go "Pay us monthly" and stop acting like they are redesigning mods for the future. They are scaring off Mod makers and showing what can/will happen in the future when someone gets hungry for more money.

IF you want 5 bucks a month i'll pay it. Im sure allot of folks will. Nexus Mod. Free to look. Pay to download. then you can pay mod makers and server costs and host costs. You can stop trying to ruin your thing more let alone hiding behind " it is the best for us all. it is the future" History books are full of those kind of speakers and it never ends well

Edited by maxmanatarms

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They need to just be honest and go "Pay us monthly" and stop acting like they are redesigning mods for the future. They are scaring off Mod makers and showing what can/will happen in the future when someone gets hungry for more money.

The fact that they aren't just raising rates or making Premium almost a necessity is proof that your "they just want money" idea is not true.

The fact that they aren't just raising rates or making Premium almost a necessity is proof that your "they just want money" idea is not true.

Collections will not work with free users.

You will need to click each mod in the 100+ collection and download it. then install it one by one.

Collections with premium will download all mods to your system.

They haven't stated if it will install them in the proper order but thats neither here or there.

They aren't going to change it now. They will wait till the new system and tos is in effect and ironclad and then. IF there is any new increases will hit then cause its to late for people to pull files away they will be stuck. Bait and switch is a thing and im sure many many folks have seen it many different ways. Im watching it happen now. once everyone in the pen. Thats when the carrot will turn into the club.

They keep saying the collection (MOD PACK) is the new future for mods. But they keep stating "deleting will ruin it" They must control everything for it to work. and the new system works 10x better and functionally when you pay them to use the new system.

Edited by maxmanatarms

If you don't think this is about revenue, you are deluding yourself. For the non-paying members, they get to download each mod in a collection individually. That gets really tedious for a large list..... Why not just spend a couple bucks for one month of premium, and get the 'one-click download' ability? You and I both know that WILL happen. And being a 'one-click' install, (pretty much) there are going to be a LOT of folks interested in that ability, and will to pony up a couple bucks to make it that easy.

Collections will not work with free users.

You will need to click each mod in the 100+ collection and download it. then install it one by one.

Collections with premium will download all mods to your system.

They haven't stated if it will install them in the proper order but thats neither here or there.

They aren't going to change it now. They will wait till the new system and tos is in effect and ironclad and then any new increases will hit then cause its to late for people to pull files away they will be stuck. Bait and switch is a thing and im sure many many folks have seen it many different ways. Im watching it happen now. once everyone in the pen. Thats when the carrot will turn into the club.

They keep saying the collection (MOD PACK) is the new future for mods. But they keep stating "deleting will ruin it" They must control everything for it to work. and the new system works 10x better and functionally when you pay them to use the new system.

Collections WILL work for free users. They just need to download every mod in the collection individually.

Nexus would loose a good deal of traffic and usage by going paid 100% A good deal of MAs don't support mod collections and would opt out given the choice, which would certainly crimp the value of a collections pack for mainstream usage. That is why Nexus is not providing an opt-out.

There's nothing wrong with making money a priority for Nexus; it is a business. They have a right to choose how they want to operate their site too, even if it means big loses in creator content for the here and now. Truth is, since they decided to take this route, right now is the best time to do it--prior to major Beth games coming out. MA's were purposefully left out of the loop of this and were initially just told that their files would be archived from now on without a grace period to choose to leave. Thankfully, the decision on that was reversed.

Nexus can choose how to run their business and MA's have a choice right now to stay and live with the TOS, or pull their files and find a new home. Seems like an opportunity for one of the smaller sites that currently hosts these same mods and caters to this community.

Edited by NexBeth

One big issue for me is that I could potentially lose the "one stop shopping" convenience that the Nexus now gives me. I simply don't have the time to visit multiple Discords, web sites, etc. We'll see how it plays out.

One big issue for me is that I could potentially lose the "one stop shopping" convenience that the Nexus now gives me. I simply don't have the time to visit multiple Discords, web sites, etc. We'll see how it plays out.

It will be like it was back in the days during Morrowind, when mods were starting to come out and Nexus didn't exist yet because it DIDN'T HAVE ANY MOD CONTENT TO HOST, so we went to a bunch of different sites, but since WJ can just grab mods from all different sites, then that makes Nexus kind of Unnecessary in all this.

It will be like it was back in the days during Morrowind, when mods were starting to come out and Nexus didn't exist yet because it DIDN'T HAVE ANY MOD CONTENT TO HOST, so we went to a bunch of different sites, but since WJ can just grab mods from all different sites, then that makes Nexus kind of Unnecessary in all this.

Ya. I remember those days. No thanks. I'll pass. And WJ is no replacement for the Nexus.

Ya. I remember those days. No thanks. I'll pass. And WJ is no replacement for the Nexus.

WJ is just a downloader that can download from a bunch of different sites with one click.

WJ doesn't replace Nexus, but it shows Nexus that it can automatically grab Mods from ANY site, and it doesn't have to be Nexus exclusively.

Like...oh, MOD DROP, that IIRC the Nexus was pretty upset about.