Mod authors should have made a master list of locations

hucker75

Old but gold, if Microsoft made cars:

For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on. At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:
1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.
2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.
3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue.
For some reason you would simply accept this.
4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.
5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.
6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.
7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.
8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.
9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.
10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off."

Interesting aside, for a thread that became virtually pointless before it even got to the second page, it had, up to recently, 5 people following it.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You obviously have no idea of what you are talking about.

There is the rule of One. Only ONE mod can change any given thing. If you have two mods that change the same thing, the one that loads last, wins.

Conflict resolution has been a thing on Beth games since Morrowind. (because of the two items in the line above here.) Given the sheer number of mods out there in the world, (keep in mind, nexus is only ONE of many sites that host mods) The database would become unwieldy within 15 minutes of a games release. You would need to list each and every change a given mod made to an area. That can run into the thousands of records. Now, lets use the Sanctuary example here. 350 of them...... the potential for MILLIONS of changes.

Trying to track all of that would be absolutely pointless. Very bad case of information overload. Thus, it is up to the END USER to resolve conflicts in THEIR SPECIFIC setup. If the end user doesn't know how to do that, then they need to learn how, or use fewer mods.

How much info do you need? "In my mod I used the cellar behind house X. That hatch now leads to a dungeon in a new worldspace." Or "In building X, the third door on the right in the hallway which was boarded up in the vanilla game, now leads to a room I've created."

what i find breathtaking is that this guy cannot/will not read a mod description.

can you imagine if he had to wade through a database of what elements a mod alters?

he's beyond parody.

I can't read conflicts in a mod description, because to give away what had been placed where is a spoiler.

They make huge profits from gullible people paying double what the item is worth and not caring that they'll have countless problems down the road. If Apple made a car it would only drive on the wrong side of the road.

I thought you had earlier abandoned the use of analogies given how demonstrably bad you are at them.

And you just hijacked your own thread.

I gave two analogies then realised they were going over everyone's head. I actually spoke to someone today and tried to use an analogy, and she stopped me before I started, and told me she doesn't understand analogies. And no, it's not because of analogies I've used in the past, I've not met her before.

They make huge profits from gullible people paying double what the item is worth and not caring that they'll have countless problems down the road. If Apple made a car it would only drive on the wrong side of the road.

if apple made a car, it would drive on the right side of the road, but what would be different would be it would only use apple fuel, you couldn't repair it yourself, and if you tried to, it would shut down and become a brick

basically the tesla model.

You've hit the nail on the head. And yet the gullible fools keep on buying them.

Guest deleted34304850

what i find breathtaking is that this guy cannot/will not read a mod description.

can you imagine if he had to wade through a database of what elements a mod alters?

he's beyond parody.

I can't read conflicts in a mod description, because to give away what had been placed where is a spoiler.

how would you know fhey are in a spoiler, if you can't read them? and does something being placed in a spoiler tag

mean that no matter what you do, you will simply never see this piece of text, ever in your life?

and, have you ever thought, based on all the content in this thread,

it may just be you?

Okay, I'm going to try (probably uselessly) to explain one of the most obvious technical problems with your idea and why people use patches instead. I'm going to ignore all teh sociological reasons why it won't work since you also seem to be ignoring those reasons.

Let us posit that we have five mods which conflict due to object placements. This is the simplest thing your idea could "fix" so we'll stick with that. Mod A is the first one released, "The Bounty Office" (and immediately abandoned by the author). Mod B was released next and is called "Commonwealth Regulators". Mod C was next "Presumption of Innocence? Murdering accused criminals for fun and profit". Mod D is "Mutiny at the Bounty" and Mod E is "Gun for Hire" and was released fairly recently.

The author of Mod E creates an office space in Diamond City for their mod. They want to block off an unneeded hallway with rubble because having it open looks weird. They want to put some kitty pictures on a wall for decoration, and a bookcase with some books and a water cooler and other stuff to make the office look nice.

So, they go onto your database and find out that the rubble blocking the hall blocks a door from Mod A. And the kitty pictures conflict with a door from Mod B. The bookcase blocks a door from Mod C and the water cooler/other kibble blocks something from Mod D.

According to your theory, the Mod Author of Mod E has to remove all those items in order to avoid conflicting with those other mods. And if a player happens to use all five mods that makes sense. But if the player is only using Mod E then the office looks bizarrely bare for no reason with big empty spaces where it looks like something should be. Even if the player is using one or two of the other mods, there are still empty spots that serve no purpose. They are empty only to cater to other players.

But the other option is to make patches. You make a patch for Mod A and Mod E that removes the rubble. You make a patch for Mod B and Mod E that removes the kitty pictures. You make a patch for Mod C and Mod E that removes the bookcases and you make a patch for Mod D and Mod E that removes the water cooler and other kibble. Then players that are only using Mod E get the office as the Author intended. Players that are using A and E keep the door from A accessible while having all the other items still in place. Players using A, D and E avoid conflicts but still get the kitty pictures and water cooler/kibble.

You avoid the conflicts while causing the least possible disruption to any of the mods. And since the patches can be ESL format they don't even take up mod slots that you could use for other mods.

That is the most basic reason why your idea is not a good one. So, if you have a conflict in your game, either request a patch or make one yourself. It's better for everyone.

You obviously have no idea of what you are talking about.

There is the rule of One. Only ONE mod can change any given thing. If you have two mods that change the same thing, the one that loads last, wins.

Conflict resolution has been a thing on Beth games since Morrowind. (because of the two items in the line above here.) Given the sheer number of mods out there in the world, (keep in mind, nexus is only ONE of many sites that host mods) The database would become unwieldy within 15 minutes of a games release. You would need to list each and every change a given mod made to an area. That can run into the thousands of records. Now, lets use the Sanctuary example here. 350 of them...... the potential for MILLIONS of changes.

Trying to track all of that would be absolutely pointless. Very bad case of information overload. Thus, it is up to the END USER to resolve conflicts in THEIR SPECIFIC setup. If the end user doesn't know how to do that, then they need to learn how, or use fewer mods.

How much info do you need? "In my mod I used the cellar behind house X. That hatch now leads to a dungeon in a new worldspace." Or "In building X, the third door on the right in the hallway which was boarded up in the vanilla game, now leads to a room I've created."

he's beyond parody.

I thought you had earlier abandoned the use of analogies given how demonstrably bad you are at them.

And you just hijacked your own thread.

I gave two analogies then realised they were going over everyone's head. I actually spoke to someone today and tried to use an analogy, and she stopped me before I started, and told me she doesn't understand analogies. And no, it's not because of analogies I've used in the past, I've not met her before.

if apple made a car, it would drive on the right side of the road, but what would be different would be it would only use apple fuel, you couldn't repair it yourself, and if you tried to, it would shut down and become a brick

basically the tesla model.

You've hit the nail on the head. And yet the gullible fools keep on buying them.

If that's all any mod ever did, then sure, it would work. The problem is, most mods don't just change one tiny little item, they change a whole boatload of stuff.

Have you ever opened even one simple mod in the CK? Or FO4Edit, and looked at everything it has changed? THOSE are ALL potential conflicts.

I suggest that you educate yourself on mods, how they work, and how they are made, and maybe then, you will understand why your idea is unworkable. Not holding my breath on that though. Might blow a hole in your simplistic world view.

Guys, its pointless. It was already obvious this guy ignores everything said to prove him wrong, on page 2.

So, instead of ignoring the facts and defending his 'idea' up to a hilarious point, he might do better to prove us all wrong by actually creating such database and fill it up himself.

Should be easy, I hear. :dry:

...but just like this 'idea', that will never happen. Just like this thread ending, for as long as we go against it.

So I'll just quote:

It is my honest opinion that the troll has been fed enough. If y'all stop feeding it, this could end. Twelve pages of this is eleven too many.

Please don't feed the troll.

Guest deleted34304850

Guys, its pointless. It was already obvious this guy ignores everything said to prove him wrong, on page 2.

So, instead of ignoring the facts and defending his 'idea' up to a hilarious point, he might do better to prove us all wrong by actually creating such database and fill it up himself.

Should be easy, I hear. :dry:

...but just like this 'idea', that will never happen. Just like this thread ending, for as long as we go against it.

So I'll just quote:

It is my honest opinion that the troll has been fed enough. If y'all stop feeding it, this could end. Twelve pages of this is eleven too many.

Please don't feed the troll.

what if i want to add a post? as long as i abide by the tos, i'm free to do it - on the other hand - surely if you don't want to read the posts in the forum, then do as the tos say and move on, rather than thinking you have the right to tell anyone whether they can post in a forum or not?

So based on one interaction, which probably happened only in your imagination, you've inferred that everybody in this thread also suffers from the inability to understand (your) analogies even though over the course of several posts they were systematically demolished using facts and logic and objectively better analogies were put forward.

Not only are you bad at analogies, your inability to recognise this is a clear demonstration of the Dunning-Kruger Effect, a form of cognitive bias identified in the 1999 study: Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments.

How much info do you need

He doesn't need any info. You're the one who wants it done. You need the info. Again, expecting other people to solve your problems for you.

Ah so herein lies the nub, if I understand your point correctly. You won't create the database yourself because it would spoil part of each mod. But it's OK if it spoils it for other people so other people should create the database for you to remain blissfully spoiler-free.

So you're entitled, selfish and delusional.