A Collection of FLAWS in FO4 LORE ~ add your own!

Drivinghard

Maybe Beth was trying to atone for the (many) deficiencies of FO3.

In FO3, your father is essentially the main character, he gets to do all the cool stuff and be idolised - you're just following in his wake (shadow?) trying to find him.

FO4 reverses that - now you're dad (mom?) trying to find your son.

Meh - I skipped playing the main story entirely and just installed Frost.

Maybe Beth was trying to atone for the (many) deficiencies of FO3.

In FO3, your father is essentially the main character, he gets to do all the cool stuff and be idolised - you're just following in his wake (shadow?) trying to find him.

FO4 reverses that - now you're dad (mom?) trying to find your son.

Meh - I skipped playing the main story entirely and just installed Frost.

In that case they failled misserabely. FO3 was 10x better, with all its deficiencies. (& a main plot which is ridicules* )

*= a recurring stupidity to believe water gets massively irradiated. THAT will only happen if you detontate a nuke submerged. THEN all the water cought in the blast will be iiradiated. On a world scale this however means nothing, unless you detonate all nukes in the world somewhere in the Atlantic. Beyond that it gets totally diluted.

Another source would be radioactive dust (fallout) washed into rivers. These will simply transport said dust to the ocean floor. Takes weeks, maybe months, years tops in some isolated spots to wash it clean.

There will be NO irradiated water streaming down the Potomac after 200 years.

So, the entire "purifiaction" story for FO3 is BS. ...but still way better as this FO4 crap. (ignoring the original ending here, where you where forced to die ("Its your destiny"), even with rad-immune companions ...)

Radiation doesn't work the same in the Fallout universe.

That's a fact.

In mutually exclusive ways. Running around in power armor with a fusion core strapped to your back... no problem.

Drinking 'cola' heavily infused with isotopes which make you glow in the dark... no problem.

Driving a nuclear powered car (without massive shielding)... no problem.

Cary 100+ fuses in your backpack... no problem

But drinking water (even bottled up water deep inside bunkers) 200 years after, will make you sick & rad-storms are somehow 'a thing'...

animals actually immune to it, get 'mutated' (like scorpions), etc.etc. (of course there is the mysterious 'FEV' which can be used to 'explain' some of it)

The list of stuff that actually does make sense is way shorter for this 'world', but even though I dislike 'm, at least I can 'suspend' my disbelieve and enjoy a good fantasy game. If at least things make sense within that world, which worked more or less up to FO3 (I can't say a thing about NV, never played it) but for FO4 even that is too much to ask, imho.

Radiation doesn't work the same in the Fallout universe.

That's a fact.

In mutually exclusive ways. Running around in power armor with a fusion core strapped to your back... no problem.

Drinking 'cola' heavily infused with isotopes which make you glow in the dark... no problem.

Driving a nuclear powered car (without massive shielding)... no problem.

Cary 100+ fuses in your backpack... no problem

But drinking water (even bottled up water deep inside bunkers) 200 years after, will make you sick & rad-storms are somehow 'a thing'...

animals actually immune to it, get 'mutated' (like scorpions), etc.etc. (of course there is the mysterious 'FEV' which can be used to 'explain' some of it)

The list of stuff that actually does make sense is way shorter for this 'world', but even though I dislike 'm, at least I can 'suspend' my disbelieve and enjoy a good fantasy game. If at least things make sense within that world, which worked more or less up to FO3 (I can't say a thing about NV, never played it) but for FO4 even that is too much to ask, imho.

New Vegas was actually pretty good. I liked it better than FO3.....

Eh, the story was okay and the writing was generally better, but the game was far too technically flawed for me to like it more than Fallout 3.

And it's not just that they were over-ambitious and didn't leave enough time to properly QA the game. Their world design was stuck in the old isometric days and their use of the new systems Bethesda designed was badly flawed. They never understood the random encounter system at all...they didn't even make it random at all for the most part. And by the time the DLC came out they were reduced to using pathetic "monster closet" style spawns and outright spawning enemies in right in front of your face.

Plus, I really hate their love for unbeatable scenarios that force you to keep reloading to get past them and their insistence that every faction has to be a viable choice no matter how badly those factions suck.

I think they need to decide (Bethesda) what exactly it is they want.

That said, so do mod users.....

If you want things like Mini-Nukes, Missile Launchers, Miniguns, Lasers, Plasma and whatever - all working 200+ year after the bombs fell - then you need an infrastructure that exists that can continue to support those things.

Yet what we see in the game is an infrastructure that struggles to provide electricity and running water - and still has "trash" that represents the 2077 event littering the landscape.

This far into the future, there should be some semblence that the 10 generations of survivors that have since past have done something to improve the Quality of Life. Instead what they give you is a landscape and infrastructure that resembles 20 years removed from the Ground Zero event.

I think they need to decide (Bethesda) what exactly it is they want.

That said, so do mod users.....

If you want things like Mini-Nukes, Missile Launchers, Miniguns, Lasers, Plasma and whatever - all working 200+ year after the bombs fell - then you need an infrastructure that exists that can continue to support those things.

Yet what we see in the game is an infrastructure that struggles to provide electricity and running water - and still has "trash" that represents the 2077 event littering the landscape.

This far into the future, there should be some semblence that the 10 generations of survivors that have since past have done something to improve the Quality of Life. Instead what they give you is a landscape and infrastructure that resembles 20 years removed from the Ground Zero event.

Agreed.

The first game was set 25 years after. For which the environment fits.

Then they just stuck to the 'look' & advanced the date, by a lot.

The worst thing about FO4 is this stupid radiation stuff.

yes its science fiction but it is just too nonsensical.

The 2nd worst is the codntion of the wasteland.

After 2010 yrs all cars by now should be rust puddles and all buildings even skyscrapers collapsed as thier iron skeletons rusted away.

Towns and lanscapes look more like 20-30 years post apoc not 210 yrs.

The TV Tropes website says it best:

• Your settlements can be infiltrated by synths armed with Institute weaponry! Which is bad. Sometimes these synth infiltrators are Brahmin... and searching them yields synth components, and sometimes Institute Weaponry as well.
    Which is just weird. What was the Institute even trying to accomplish with that one, anyway?