AMA with Robin Scott - Tuesday 6th September

TheTokenGeek

I'm seen some of the notes from mod authors that they now have a discord group set-up. They mention that asking them questions or getting updates and previews of what's coming next for their mods is much easier there. I haven't had a chance to try it myself, but I look forward to doing so when i have the time. Thanks for constantly moving forward to embrace new technologies.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #42005055. #42005615 is also a reply to the same post.

Oubliette wrote:

Yes the old chat had trolls - it also had staff working hard to elevate the problems pretty much around the clock. The new chat has the same problems as the old chat, magnified by additional numbers and while staff appears to be there seeing what's going on but not actually doing anything about it. Old chat yes has it's issues but if staff was present when someone was being a troll they didn't need a report to take care of the issue. And I'm sorry but when I'm in chat specifically saying that it's an unpleasant environment with all the trolls and staff stops by to say "hi" but still does nothing that doesn't really make me feel more confident in them but yup that's my fault for not knowing how to report someone or that I should be doing so every time there is an issue.

If I'm going to have to report every troll, spammer or harasser I see in discord then I'm going to need to know how that works. So tell me how to make a report from discord that's not connected to nexus? The profiles aren't connected to nexus so I can't click their avatar to make a report and their usernames can and often are different, not that it's possible to search nexus for a user by name either. If I report them on discord what, exactly, does that do? Yes I'm very aware of the old spammer that came back to chat many many times, usually you can spot them by their love of "eggs" so shall I report every user that's seems to have too much interest in ovarian edibles or wait till they hit me with the cp? So far I have no indication that they wouldn't just have a field day with discord as I have not seen a single kick or ban and have had no indication that either would be permanent the way they are on Nexus, if users can just change their name on the fly how do bans even work? What are the consequences for a particularly heinous ban in the new chat here? Are there any? Or is it a great place for people who are unsatisfied with a modder to hop in spew some threats knowing their account here is safe and they can continue to utilize the sites resources incognito?

Up to this point I've tried to use reports for direct rule violations only (of which the new chat seems to have none) so pardon me for not knowing I should be pinging you every time someone posts an objectionable link or says something offensive.

Yes you're right, I've already stated I won't be using it not because I don't like it but because I have no intention of going for a friendly chat and instead wading through the cesspool that is humanity without a filter on the internet - that doesn't mean I shouldn't point out it's problems in the hopes that they can be fixed and I might return. Of course so far I'm not seeing any indication that you care about any of these issues so I guess I'm just tossing cold water on your new toy party. Party on (I guess).

Dark0ne wrote: Use @staff or ping staff directly with @Dark (for example, to ping me) and the staff will be notified they've been mentioned. It's as simple as that.

This information, along with the rules for Discord, are in the "Information" channel on Discord.

that doesn't mean I shouldn't point out it's problems in the hopes that they can be fixed and I might return but so far I'm not seeing any indication that you care about any of these issues so I guess I'm just blowing hot air on your new toy party.

That's all well and good, but you have indeed come in blowing hot air, jumping to the sort of extremes that we see in this community time and again. You started off by deriding us mentioning having "900-1000 users online", without doing your own research to realise that we were right with that stat, and you were wrong. It wasn't a particularly good start. If you want me to take you seriously and calmly listen to what you have to say on the matter then you yourself need to calm yourself and raise your points in a measured way. Free of hyperbole.

Having said that, we are clearly going another direction with Discord to the old site chat. I wasn't a fan of the old site chat at all; from the way it looked and worked to the way it was moderated and the general "feel" within the chat. The cliques, the constant crying to moderators when someone so much as thought of saying something inappropriate, the constant attempts by groups of users to get other users in trouble, the iron-fist moderation. It wasn't a fun community at all. Hence why I was barely there.

I understand some of the old chat users aren't going to like the fact I want to change that, but, other than the fact Discord is far superior to the old chat from a technology stand-point, I also do not want to see a return to the old way the chat was run and the type of community that fostered. As such, if that's what you're looking for, you're not going to get that from the new Discord chat and this is all a bit of a moot point.

More people have come in to Discord in the past week than came in to the original site chat in an entire year. Discord is new, and we're letting it lie fallow for the time being to see how it turns out. After a bit of time, we'll then assess how it's worked thus far and make changes as necessary. As is prudent.

Just your typical "I can't deal with the internet, so I'll just whine about people making jokes I don't like" user.

In response to post #42005055. #42005615 is also a reply to the same post.

Oubliette wrote:

Yes the old chat had trolls - it also had staff working hard to elevate the problems pretty much around the clock. The new chat has the same problems as the old chat, magnified by additional numbers and while staff appears to be there seeing what's going on but not actually doing anything about it. Old chat yes has it's issues but if staff was present when someone was being a troll they didn't need a report to take care of the issue. And I'm sorry but when I'm in chat specifically saying that it's an unpleasant environment with all the trolls and staff stops by to say "hi" but still does nothing that doesn't really make me feel more confident in them but yup that's my fault for not knowing how to report someone or that I should be doing so every time there is an issue.

If I'm going to have to report every troll, spammer or harasser I see in discord then I'm going to need to know how that works. So tell me how to make a report from discord that's not connected to nexus? The profiles aren't connected to nexus so I can't click their avatar to make a report and their usernames can and often are different, not that it's possible to search nexus for a user by name either. If I report them on discord what, exactly, does that do? Yes I'm very aware of the old spammer that came back to chat many many times, usually you can spot them by their love of "eggs" so shall I report every user that's seems to have too much interest in ovarian edibles or wait till they hit me with the cp? So far I have no indication that they wouldn't just have a field day with discord as I have not seen a single kick or ban and have had no indication that either would be permanent the way they are on Nexus, if users can just change their name on the fly how do bans even work? What are the consequences for a particularly heinous ban in the new chat here? Are there any? Or is it a great place for people who are unsatisfied with a modder to hop in spew some threats knowing their account here is safe and they can continue to utilize the sites resources incognito?

Up to this point I've tried to use reports for direct rule violations only (of which the new chat seems to have none) so pardon me for not knowing I should be pinging you every time someone posts an objectionable link or says something offensive.

Yes you're right, I've already stated I won't be using it not because I don't like it but because I have no intention of going for a friendly chat and instead wading through the cesspool that is humanity without a filter on the internet - that doesn't mean I shouldn't point out it's problems in the hopes that they can be fixed and I might return. Of course so far I'm not seeing any indication that you care about any of these issues so I guess I'm just tossing cold water on your new toy party. Party on (I guess).

Dark0ne wrote: Use @staff or ping staff directly with @Dark (for example, to ping me) and the staff will be notified they've been mentioned. It's as simple as that.

This information, along with the rules for Discord, are in the "Information" channel on Discord.

that doesn't mean I shouldn't point out it's problems in the hopes that they can be fixed and I might return but so far I'm not seeing any indication that you care about any of these issues so I guess I'm just blowing hot air on your new toy party.

That's all well and good, but you have indeed come in blowing hot air, jumping to the sort of extremes that we see in this community time and again. You started off by deriding us mentioning having "900-1000 users online", without doing your own research to realise that we were right with that stat, and you were wrong. It wasn't a particularly good start. If you want me to take you seriously and calmly listen to what you have to say on the matter then you yourself need to calm yourself and raise your points in a measured way. Free of hyperbole.

Having said that, we are clearly going another direction with Discord to the old site chat. I wasn't a fan of the old site chat at all; from the way it looked and worked to the way it was moderated and the general "feel" within the chat. The cliques, the constant crying to moderators when someone so much as thought of saying something inappropriate, the constant attempts by groups of users to get other users in trouble, the iron-fist moderation. It wasn't a fun community at all. Hence why I was barely there.

I understand some of the old chat users aren't going to like the fact I want to change that, but, other than the fact Discord is far superior to the old chat from a technology stand-point, I also do not want to see a return to the old way the chat was run and the type of community that fostered. As such, if that's what you're looking for, you're not going to get that from the new Discord chat and this is all a bit of a moot point.

More people have come in to Discord in the past week than came in to the original site chat in an entire year. Discord is new, and we're letting it lie fallow for the time being to see how it turns out. After a bit of time, we'll then assess how it's worked thus far and make changes as necessary. As is prudent.

Just your typical "I can't deal with the internet, so I'll just whine about people making jokes I don't like" user.

Gosh, it must have taken so much to be able to give a rebuttal to each of the points mentioned there. *golf clap*

In response to post #42014800.

CaladanAnduril wrote: I have a question who's not directly related to Discord but...
In the light of the late events ( ModDB was acquiring GameFront ) how the downloads of the mods from GameFront is still justified.

Tnx in advance

Not that it's related to this news post at all, I'll bite.

ModDB have paid for the GameFront domain and their social media. Defy Media wouldn't "sell" the files/actual site content itself. I know, because I pursued that avenue myself when GameFront went down, but didn't just want to buy the domain names because...what's the point? What good is the domain name if you can't save all the files as well?

As an example, if the Nexus changed its name tomorrow but kept all the files and the site look/content the same, then people would catch on very quick and things would continue as normal. But if the Nexus kept its name, but lost all its files, what would the site be? Would anyone use it? No, because what would the point of a file hosting site be without the files?

What made Game Front and File Front good wasn't their name, it was the 15 years of vintage content that they were still hosting that couldn't be found anywhere else, and the small but still active community they had on their forums. Saving the name wasn't particularly important to me, but saving that content was. If I could have bought the name and the content, then I would have. It would have saved us 2 months of archiving work. But buying just the names seems pointless to me.

As far as I know, ModDB are busy indexing the content now themselves, either from the work we've done or from the work the archive.org volunteer team did for the Wayback Machine. Once again, as far as I know, they're contemplating putting it on to their version of GameFront, which is currently being used as a skin for moddb.com at this time.

So, TL; DR, the folks at ModDB bought the GameFront domains and the right to use the GameFront name, nothing more. Ergo, it doesn't really affect anything on our end. Edited by Dark0ne

YES! At long last my burning questions to Robin can be answered! For ages I've pondered perhaps the biggest mystery of all, so big that I lie awake at night pondering it.

What does Robin put on his toast in the morning?

But wait, what if he doesn't EAT toast? GASP! I... I feel faint.

All joking aside this is an awesome idea, I'm sure people have a lot of questions about the Nexus, about the team, and the future of the site. Probably even that question about his toast preferences. Thanks for doing this AMA Robin!

In response to post #42023585.

SamusKnight2K wrote: YES! At long last my burning questions to Robin can be answered! For ages I've pondered perhaps the biggest mystery of all, so big that I lie awake at night pondering it.

All joking aside this is an awesome idea, I'm sure people have a lot of questions about the Nexus, about the team, and the future of the site. Probably even that question about his toast preferences. Thanks for doing this AMA Robin!

well im thinking of asking about what he thinks of bacon. as he isnt an American i wonder if he knows what that is? :D

In response to post #42023585. #42024420 is also a reply to the same post.

SamusKnight2K wrote: YES! At long last my burning questions to Robin can be answered! For ages I've pondered perhaps the biggest mystery of all, so big that I lie awake at night pondering it.

qwertyzeldar wrote: well im thinking of asking about what he thinks of bacon. as he isnt an American i wonder if he knows what that is? :D

Bacon is love, bacon is life.

All life flows from that one strip of bacon, and all life returns to that one strip. Said the old prophecies from the bacon gods. Ye shall feast of bacon until the bacon accepts you. And when the bacon gods descend upon this world all will be blessed with bacon breath, and life will be complete.

Damnit now I want bacon...

Hey there Dark0ne,
Recently I was blacklisted from your website, because i had a second account. I made my second account because my first was banned for "trollish behavior" (which I am very sorry for my behavior) I had to make the second account because every time i tried to use the forums/modpage i would get locked out of everything.I didn't see ANYWHERE that i couldn't have a second account and when i tried to ban appeal i was blacklisted. I dont know if you are gonna read this or if you are just gonna ban me again because that seems to be the recurring theme for this website but I only made my second account so i can appeal the first one. I hope that some way i can get my first account back to i can continue working on the mods i spent so much time making. It saddens me that i have to use a proxy just to use a website that hosts my hobbies.

In response to post #42025090.

Dogflesh wrote:

Hey there Dark0ne,
Recently I was blacklisted from your website, because i had a second account. I made my second account because my first was banned for "trollish behavior" (which I am very sorry for my behavior) I had to make the second account because every time i tried to use the forums/modpage i would get locked out of everything.I didn't see ANYWHERE that i couldn't have a second account and when i tried to ban appeal i was blacklisted. I dont know if you are gonna read this or if you are just gonna ban me again because that seems to be the recurring theme for this website but I only made my second account so i can appeal the first one. I hope that some way i can get my first account back to i can continue working on the mods i spent so much time making. It saddens me that i have to use a proxy just to use a website that hosts my hobbies.

Second accounts not being allowed is listed clearly in the ToS, something which you agree to when you sign up.