AMA with Robin Scott - Tuesday 6th September

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #42006545. #42007195, #42034580, #42043845 are all replies on the same post.

Oubliette wrote:

Oh I'm so sorry I misrepresented your numbers in ignorance that really throws everything else I had to say right out the window. I can see it's a point of pride and it's obvious I hurt yours if that's enough to make everything else seem completely unimportant.

The old chat wasn't capable of supporting more than 40 or so people without suffering horrible lag. That doesn't mean more people didn't want to use it, simply that it wasn't possible to really accommodate those numbers. I'll give discord that, it definitely hasn't flinched with numbers growing ever larger and never seeming to decrease despite people needing to do things like sleep, eat, work and go to school but I'm sure that's just me being ignorant on how the chat works again.

Use @staff or ping staff directly with @Dark (for example, to ping me) and the staff will be notified they've been mentioned. It's as simple as that.

You thought the old chat was full of cliques and lots of unnecessary reporting but you want the new chat to ping you directly whenever there's an issue and this is somehow going to increase your enjoyment. I don't see it at all but it's your baby raise it however you want. Just don't be surprised when some people think your kid has no manners and they don't want to spend any time with it.

Dark0ne wrote: Okie dokie!
endgameaddiction wrote: @Oubliette

Cliques exist everywhere. And if discord is a haven for modders to chat, yeah, you are bound to run into cliques. It is what it is. I personally don't associate with that kind of stuff. I don't mind a chat room. But I stay away from elitist groups. They are not worth the time and endorsement of their mods.
Rethrain wrote: This is as much the truth for mods and modding as in real life peoples and cliques.

And no, it's not really worth it.

There's no difference between exclusionary and inclusionary, they lead to the same thing.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #42005055. #42005615, #42008530 are all replies on the same post.

Oubliette wrote:

Yes the old chat had trolls - it also had staff working hard to elevate the problems pretty much around the clock. The new chat has the same problems as the old chat, magnified by additional numbers and while staff appears to be there seeing what's going on but not actually doing anything about it. Old chat yes has it's issues but if staff was present when someone was being a troll they didn't need a report to take care of the issue. And I'm sorry but when I'm in chat specifically saying that it's an unpleasant environment with all the trolls and staff stops by to say "hi" but still does nothing that doesn't really make me feel more confident in them but yup that's my fault for not knowing how to report someone or that I should be doing so every time there is an issue.

If I'm going to have to report every troll, spammer or harasser I see in discord then I'm going to need to know how that works. So tell me how to make a report from discord that's not connected to nexus? The profiles aren't connected to nexus so I can't click their avatar to make a report and their usernames can and often are different, not that it's possible to search nexus for a user by name either. If I report them on discord what, exactly, does that do? Yes I'm very aware of the old spammer that came back to chat many many times, usually you can spot them by their love of "eggs" so shall I report every user that's seems to have too much interest in ovarian edibles or wait till they hit me with the cp? So far I have no indication that they wouldn't just have a field day with discord as I have not seen a single kick or ban and have had no indication that either would be permanent the way they are on Nexus, if users can just change their name on the fly how do bans even work? What are the consequences for a particularly heinous ban in the new chat here? Are there any? Or is it a great place for people who are unsatisfied with a modder to hop in spew some threats knowing their account here is safe and they can continue to utilize the sites resources incognito?

Up to this point I've tried to use reports for direct rule violations only (of which the new chat seems to have none) so pardon me for not knowing I should be pinging you every time someone posts an objectionable link or says something offensive.

Yes you're right, I've already stated I won't be using it not because I don't like it but because I have no intention of going for a friendly chat and instead wading through the cesspool that is humanity without a filter on the internet - that doesn't mean I shouldn't point out it's problems in the hopes that they can be fixed and I might return. Of course so far I'm not seeing any indication that you care about any of these issues so I guess I'm just tossing cold water on your new toy party. Party on (I guess).

Dark0ne wrote: Use @staff or ping staff directly with @Dark (for example, to ping me) and the staff will be notified they've been mentioned. It's as simple as that.

This information, along with the rules for Discord, are in the "Information" channel on Discord.

that doesn't mean I shouldn't point out it's problems in the hopes that they can be fixed and I might return but so far I'm not seeing any indication that you care about any of these issues so I guess I'm just blowing hot air on your new toy party.

That's all well and good, but you have indeed come in blowing hot air, jumping to the sort of extremes that we see in this community time and again. You started off by deriding us mentioning having "900-1000 users online", without doing your own research to realise that we were right with that stat, and you were wrong. It wasn't a particularly good start. If you want me to take you seriously and calmly listen to what you have to say on the matter then you yourself need to calm yourself and raise your points in a measured way. Free of hyperbole.

Having said that, we are clearly going another direction with Discord to the old site chat. I wasn't a fan of the old site chat at all; from the way it looked and worked to the way it was moderated and the general "feel" within the chat. The cliques, the constant crying to moderators when someone so much as thought of saying something inappropriate, the constant attempts by groups of users to get other users in trouble, the iron-fist moderation. It wasn't a fun community at all. Hence why I was barely there.

I understand some of the old chat users aren't going to like the fact I want to change that, but, other than the fact Discord is far superior to the old chat from a technology stand-point, I also do not want to see a return to the old way the chat was run and the type of community that fostered. As such, if that's what you're looking for, you're not going to get that from the new Discord chat and this is all a bit of a moot point.

More people have come in to Discord in the past week than came in to the original site chat in an entire year. Discord is new, and we're letting it lie fallow for the time being to see how it turns out. After a bit of time, we'll then assess how it's worked thus far and make changes as necessary. As is prudent.
Alkohol wrote: Just your typical "I can't deal with the internet, so I'll just whine about people making jokes I don't like" user.

It's also not his job to vigilante. Minor disagreements are nothing to report, discord has an ignore function, USE IT.

More people turning up to see what the new chat is like in the first month or so is not a a viable indicator of how well it is going to work long term.

A large proportion of people only tried using the "previous" chat as a tech support area. Demanding help from people that had no obligation, or desire to do so - and getting extremely obnoxious/aggressive when told to look elsewhere. While the tech of the old chat might have fallen to disrepair, it wasn't the real issue. That was just down to people selfishly expecting far too much from others, despite being told otherwise on the entry page (which they no doubt ignored).

See what the Discord chat is like in a few months time. If the same numbers and behaviour are consistent with how they are now, then fine - label it a success and stick with it. The first month of a change being introduced is never something to judge by as far as I'm concerned.

Saying that, I've chosen not to participate in the whole thing at this point, but that's my choice and I don't expect anyone to care honestly. Too many people and far too many ways to stir up drama without any real repercussions for their actions, and I see no good coming from it without some form of actual consequences being introduced, which cannot be done without proper integration with the site itself which would then lead to long term repercussions for misbehaviour for most offenders.

In response to post #42014800. #42014985 is also a reply to the same post.

CaladanAnduril wrote: I have a question who's not directly related to Discord but...
In the light of the late events ( ModDB was acquiring GameFront ) how the downloads of the mods from GameFront is still justified.

Tnx in advance
Dark0ne wrote: Not that it's related to this news post at all, I'll bite.

ModDB have paid for the GameFront domain and their social media. Defy Media wouldn't "sell" the files/actual site content itself. I know, because I pursued that avenue myself when GameFront went down, but didn't just want to buy the domain names because...what's the point? What good is the domain name if you can't save all the files as well?

As an example, if the Nexus changed its name tomorrow but kept all the files and the site look/content the same, then people would catch on very quick and things would continue as normal. But if the Nexus kept its name, but lost all its files, what would the site be? Would anyone use it? No, because what would the point of a file hosting site be without the files?

What made Game Front and File Front good wasn't their name, it was the 15 years of vintage content that they were still hosting that couldn't be found anywhere else, and the small but still active community they had on their forums. Saving the name wasn't particularly important to me, but saving that content was. If I could have bought the name and the content, then I would have. It would have saved us 2 months of archiving work. But buying just the names seems pointless to me.

As far as I know, ModDB are busy indexing the content now themselves, either from the work we've done or from the work the archive.org volunteer team did for the Wayback Machine. Once again, as far as I know, they're contemplating putting it on to their version of GameFront, which is currently being used as a skin for moddb.com at this time.

So, TL; DR, the folks at ModDB bought the GameFront domains and the right to use the GameFront name, nothing more. Ergo, it doesn't really affect anything on our end.

Tnx and respect, keep going !

In response to post #42031025. #42032155 is also a reply to the same post.

Dogflesh wrote:

In response to post #42029330.

Dogflesh wrote:

Much like everyone else on earth I don't read the ENTIRE TOS.

In response to post #42025090.

Dogflesh wrote:

Hey there Dark0ne,
Recently I was blacklisted from your website, because i had a second account. I made my second account because my first was banned for "trollish behavior" (which I am very sorry for my behavior) I had to make the second account because every time i tried to use the forums/modpage i would get locked out of everything.I didn't see ANYWHERE that i couldn't have a second account and when i tried to ban appeal i was blacklisted. I dont know if you are gonna read this or if you are just gonna ban me again because that seems to be the recurring theme for this website but I only made my second account so i can appeal the first one. I hope that some way i can get my first account back to i can continue working on the mods i spent so much time making. It saddens me that i have to use a proxy just to use a website that hosts my hobbies.

Second accounts not being allowed is listed clearly in the ToS, something which you agree to when you sign up.

Not reading the TOS for this site? Well why should I feel sorry, and already created a second account because you got banned on the first. Do you understand the pattern smartass?

so you're trying to tell me that you read the entire TOS? I find it hard to believe, I haven't met a single human being that actually reads the goddamn thing. Most people just scroll to the bottom so they dont have to read s#*!. Sorry that this site has admins/moderators that "get off" on banning people for sharing their perspectives. I just want to be able to post my mods for others to play not go through drama because I corrected someones grammar.

Nimboss wrote: Actually I have read the TOS many times over the years because nexus have a habit of updating it, and it is always a good reminder what and whatnot is allowed on nexus.
You should try it also, that way you might last longer on this site so you actually will be able to upload a mod to this site.

I actually read TOS too for many sites. Not in full, but I spend 2-5 minutes looking through the usual Do's-and-Dont's, content rights, and looking for anything that stands out that I haven't seen before. It almost always boils down to something along the lines of "No hate-speech, no illegal stuff, our stuff is ours, yours is yours/may be used by us (depending on type of site), use some common sense."

This is the most derailed thread I think I have ever seen! :P

So many different tangents, so many choices.

Firstly, I just want to iterate that this AMA is not for questions like:

- I was banned, why?

- My account is locked, what is the reason?

- Can you unban me please?

But for pretty much anything else, I like the idea of finding out what Robin puts on his toast. How he likes his eggs in the morning (with a kiss?) and all that sort of stuff, obviously there will be a lot of mod related material as well.

In response to post #42006545. #42007195, #42034580, #42043845, #42058680 are all replies on the same post.

Oubliette wrote:

Oh I'm so sorry I misrepresented your numbers in ignorance that really throws everything else I had to say right out the window. I can see it's a point of pride and it's obvious I hurt yours if that's enough to make everything else seem completely unimportant.

The old chat wasn't capable of supporting more than 40 or so people without suffering horrible lag. That doesn't mean more people didn't want to use it, simply that it wasn't possible to really accommodate those numbers. I'll give discord that, it definitely hasn't flinched with numbers growing ever larger and never seeming to decrease despite people needing to do things like sleep, eat, work and go to school but I'm sure that's just me being ignorant on how the chat works again.

Use @staff or ping staff directly with @Dark (for example, to ping me) and the staff will be notified they've been mentioned. It's as simple as that.

You thought the old chat was full of cliques and lots of unnecessary reporting but you want the new chat to ping you directly whenever there's an issue and this is somehow going to increase your enjoyment. I don't see it at all but it's your baby raise it however you want. Just don't be surprised when some people think your kid has no manners and they don't want to spend any time with it.

Cliques exist everywhere. And if discord is a haven for modders to chat, yeah, you are bound to run into cliques. It is what it is. I personally don't associate with that kind of stuff. I don't mind a chat room. But I stay away from elitist groups. They are not worth the time and endorsement of their mods.
Rethrain wrote: This is as much the truth for mods and modding as in real life peoples and cliques.

RoyBatterian wrote: There's no difference between exclusionary and inclusionary, they lead to the same thing.

Unregulated chat on the internet? Nothing could possibly go wrong with that!

In response to post #42006545. #42007195, #42034580, #42043845, #42058680, #42084960, #42088820 are all replies on the same post.

Oubliette wrote:

RoyBatterian wrote: There's no difference between exclusionary and inclusionary, they lead to the same thing.
Arthmoor wrote: Unregulated chat on the internet? Nothing could possibly go wrong with that!
k0parshEU wrote: Explain to me how shutting people up would work maybe you are an expert in doing this in real life as well? Or do you just put your hands over the mouth of anyone saying "racist' things, i.e. and say "from now on you do not speak", or "you did not say that"!

Unregulated chat on the internet? Nothing could possibly go wrong with that!

It's regulated, just not in the same way as it was before. Hence why upset.