Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager and the introduction of Tannin42, our new head of NMM development

Dark0ne

I never understood why NMM was still being called a "beta" to me, in all meaning of the word. it was a complete magnificent tool to mod Bethesda games and the witcher since i only play those. and dying light but NMM has no support for that, anyway love to see that the new tool, will be a better tool (not that NMM wasn't) and i can't wait to see it, also hoping to see the new website layout soon too. Nexus to me its the nirvana for gamers Keep up the good work guys! :D

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good. I've been using MO pretty much since it was released and it is likely the best mod organizer I used for any game. Actually I was never a fan of organizers until I read the description of MO. Having only one tool in active development will also make it easier for content creators to publish, debug and support their mods and addons.

I am confident that the team will succeed in this new task and I wish you all the luck.

Godspeed!

An update is always (well, most of the times) good news for every program we use BUT do we have to uninstall ALL our mods AGAIN?? Can't we avoid this somehow? It's totally a pain and prevent us from updating NMM and benefit from any new feature.

Thx.

I'm looking forward to testing out this new manager. Best of both worlds? Who can complain!

I think that the importance of UI and UX cannot be understated. That's the number one complaint I hear about the existing managers. In NMM, information is hidden and simply cannot be found. The lack of information and inability to quickly experiment with different file orders is why modding didn't "click" for me until I switched to MO. In MO, lots of people complain about the UI (I personally can't say why, but I've heard loads of complaints). And well... ya'll are familiar with Bash's UI.

Hopefully you will be able to bring Phill on board to get a cohesive, solid UI. But even if you can't, I'd recommend finding *someone* with design experience (and also someone has spent lots of time *actually using* mods) to provide input. As it turns out... ya'll devs don't really have that much time to *use* mods, which means there are often details of normal or advanced use that get overlooked until beta testing.

Another common complaint about MO is "too much power", especially when users don't think they need to read. MO has some built-in tutorials to help address beginner issues, but I think your strategy of allowing some power to noobs and more power to advanced users is smart. Just... keep in mind no amount of obfuscation is going to be enough without adequate user education. Having good tutorials on release is also going to be important to your success, or you're going to see bad tutorials written by users who are grabbing the low-hanging fruit, and a lot of user problems caused by misinformation about features. (Heaven only knows there are enough bad guides out there already).

Edited by Thallassa

If I get a new computer I will gladly install a new mod manager and reinstall/rebuild Fallout 4, Fallout 3, Skyrim, NV and other games' mod builds, but until that happens I won't be touching anything new. Too much at stake. Thanks for the information and heads-up though.

Be nice if the separate mod folder feature of MO could be accomplished without having to run constantly while the game is running, but that seems impossible. Better yet, Bethesda reworks SSE so that it has a separate mod folder built in. You know, like most moddable games out there lol

In response to post #43209560.

Dreadborn wrote: An update is always (well, most of the times) good news for every program we use BUT do we have to uninstall ALL our mods AGAIN?? Can't we avoid this somehow? It's totally a pain and prevent us from updating NMM and benefit from any new feature.
Thx.

We are of course aware of this problem. On the other hand we don't want old "baggage" to hold us back.
I can't make any promise yet but we will look into importing from existing NMM and MO installations into the new versions and I will do my best to make updates of the new manager more robust.