⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager and the introduction of Tannin42, our new head of NMM development

Dark0ne

Time goes, things change. As a MO user I have several questions:

1) What will happen with NMM UI? Will we be able to make it look similar to MO? I understand that someday I'll have to use NMM instead of MO and I really don't want to get used to absolutely new interface.

2) What about advanced features of MO, will we be able to include/turn them on in NMM? MO provides a lot of valueable information about mods and their components and I would hate to lose it.

3) Are you interested in translators? I've noticed that certain part of Russian-speaking community has troubles with English UI and English tutorials, which often results in mistakes. I can help you with translation and documentation - I have an experience of teaching people how to mod their games properly and maintain small guides about mods in my free time.

Edited by VictorDragonslayer

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warm welcome Tannin and for me it sounds quite promising what will happen. And I'm pretty sure we all will benefit from the lessons learned over a long time. Looking forward to see a new mod manager.

As one of those uses that learns slowly but steady, a installer that is simple and allows you to gradually move to more advanced features sounds great. Hope you can pull it off. That has been what has kept me from migrating to MO, the daunting thought of having to master the complexity all at once.

In response to post #43212230.

VictorDragonslayer wrote: Time goes, things change. As a MO user I have several questions:

1) What will happen with NMM UI? Will we be able to make it look similar to MO? I understand that someday I'll have to use NMM instead of MO and I really don't want to get used to absolutely new interface.

2) What about advanced features of MO, will we be able to include/turn them on in NMM? MO provides a lot of valueable information about mods and their components and I would hate to lose it.

3) Are you interested in translators? I've noticed that certain part of Russian-speaking community has troubles with English UI and English tutorials, which often results in mistakes. I can help you with translation and documentation - I have an experience of teaching people how to mod their games properly and maintain small guides about mods in my free time.

re 1) The UI will be different from both NMM and MO. It will be very themeable but I don't think you will be able to completely change the structure of the interface.

re 2) That is the plan, yes. My hope is that eventually the new NMM will be able to provide even more details than MO did but likely not in the default setting and probably not in the first public release.

re 3) We're developing the new NMM with translation in mind. Again, we haven't made a final decision yet how we're going to get translations in but MO had localizations and I was quite happy with how that worked. I figure there will be another announcement once we cross that bridge.

In response to post #43209810. #43210050, #43211665, #43211820 are all replies on the same post.

christoph392008 wrote: Stunning. Explains a lot on the MO end tho. Being saddled with NMM (lacking a stable MO for FO4) hasn't always been a pleasure.

Excited to see what happens!
Tannin42 wrote: Please don't draw the wrong conclusion here: MO2 progress was very slow long before I was offered this position. My previous job was quite tiring and made it hard for me to invest time into MO.
This slow progress on MO was a reason for me to accept the offer, it wasn't the other way around.

Of course there was some progress on MO and now there is none but I'm not sure if I would have had a stable MO2 anytime soon even if I had continued.
christoph392008 wrote: Totally understandable and thanks for the response.

I'm very happy you are getting a paying gig for MM development. Its excellent news!
shinji72 wrote: As a long time and very happy user of MO I have mixed feeling about this.
On one hand I'm happy about you and about your work being recognized. I also plause to Dark0ne wise decision. It's not easy to swallow one's pride and acknowledge somebody else has made a better job.

But I fear (and I'm sure others share the same feeling) that you can't have both world. Both a easy to use NMM and a more complete (yet still rather easy) MO.
Anyway, the border has been crossed. We'll wait and see...

DISREGARD. Redundant text, reposted on main page.

Edited by silencer711

In response to post #43210445. #43210615, #43210805 are all replies on the same post.

CreeperLava wrote: Fantastic news, a great decision indeed ! Thank you for everything you have been doing for the modding community ! I'm excited to see how the modding scene will evolve with this new tool and all the features, like profiles, you are developing.

I'm curious to see how you plan to give us the ability to mod all the games with one tool. Some games are harder to mod than others, and require specific tools, like the Mass Effect trilogy. How will you tackle these ? By integrating the tools already made for these games, or creating new ones ?
Tannin42 wrote: Ideally we'd prefer to use existing libraries / tools to implement advanced features instead of reinventing the wheel, but this will have to be decided on a case-by-case basis: A tool with a command line interface or a library will be relatively easy to integrate but we can do very little with a pure gui application apart from starting it.
CreeperLava wrote: Makes sense, thanks for answering. I suppose you've already thought of it, but I think it would be useful to contact the authors of these tools, so that they can help develop these command line interfaces, if they're absent.

In any case, I wish you luck !

Then I imagine this would be something like Neovim -- a console app with 3rd party GUI?

Nice, congrats!

NMM was in due for an overhaul quite long time ago.

Hopefully, the new NMM will have this virtualization/sandboxing/however it's called so that game folders are being kept clean while modded. Also modlist overwriting order. Yep. That's all I ever need.

I am tickled pink to hear the news about such a great marriage of skills and talent. I think what Tannen42 brings to the table when it comes to the grand scheme of things will no doubt exponentially help The Nexus Team. Thanks Robin for giving us the scoop and thank you Tannen for providing a great platform greater possibilities. I look forward to what the possibilities (they really are endless) that are bound to show everyones strength's. Have a wonderful Day!