Vortex vs NMM? Confused

shamiro1

Guest deleted34304850

you know you could have avoided all your issues if you'd have bothered to read the stickies that say very clearly - If you have a stable game and a mod system that works for you DONT transition to Vortex.

But you didnt read it and this is the consequence of your action.

What lesson have you learned here?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm back after a 9 month absence, and I intended to resume my FO4 modding spree, but, my NMM seems to be obsolete, can't seem to find a way to update to the new "non-official" versions and I find that a new thing called Vortex seems to be the manager supported by Nexus now? The plot thickens. Dunno what to do. :geek:

I'm back after a SEVEN month absence, and just spent three or four days getting mods in order on NMM, only to find out very late in the process that supposedly no one's using NMM anymore. Then again, I still use a BlackBerry Passport smartphone, so I'm okay with it not being the latest and greatest, as long as it's functional.

Ah... IS it functional?

I wouldn't at all say that, there's still quite a lot of people who use NMM for one reason or another. I'm willing to bet there are still people out there who still use Windows XP. Not many, but they're probably out there. Vortex has a bit of a learning curve to it, but I've found it to be a God-send in my experience. My Fallout New Vegas installation has never been so stable when I switched over to it. It also helped me declutter and improve Fallout 4's stability too; still has issues because of some mods I refuse to let go of, but nothing like it was before. I can't vouch for non-Bethesda games, but for Fallout 4 & Vegas, I wouldn't even consider going back to NMM for those games.

I'd recommend patience when learning it, but yes, the program is indeed quite functional in my experience. If you don't watch the video tutorials, I at least highly recommend taking it slow, and reading through the FAQ section, and especially the Support Forums here. Lot of helpful people here, their posts helped me set it up relatively painlessly.

Cannot overstate this, set it up for a fresh installation.

Maaan the United States Post office still has branches using Windows 94 and most of the rest are using windows 7

There are three well known options, NMM, MO and Vortex. Me? I am still using NMM here, even went so far as to get the "community updated" version so I no longer have that failed update check issue. Since all of them are popular or well supported,

3) Hate MO.

2) Tried Vortex with a dummy installation. I see the idea, it's cool and another example of the general society wide move for things to be "more straightforward". Unfortunately it simply didn't work properly for me. The time taken to fix the problem (probably not even permanently) takes away from time spent actually playing the game and having fun.

1) NMM works for me and all the mods I use install/update/configure okay.

---

"If it ain't broke...."

No, Vortex is lol.

OP, I would suggest you to stick to NMM, it's simplier, faster, and doesn't crash every 2 seconds. Adding loot to the pack is no big deal, really.

I suggest you go read the NMM support forum if you think it isn't 'broke"

A lot of people have far worse problems right now with NMM than Vortex, of course, many are the ones who used to complain about Vortex, so there's a common denominator there