Feature Request: Manual Load Order Sort.

sirlach

I didn't see anything about dynamic patches on the page I was looking. https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Managing_your_Load_Order

And, no, I use "replace". F4SE says I have an old version of LooksMenu when the only version I see in Vortex is the new one.

I mean, you're saying that I can just let Vortex run and it will be perfect when I'm saying that it's not. That's not up for debate because I can look in my game and see that it's not perfect. Then you're saying that I need to read a knowledge base instead of doing something easy and intuitive. Okay. As I said, I skimmed the whole Groups thing because I was hoping for an easy solution for an incredibly simple problem. Dragging a plugin to the bottom of a load order isn't what I would call micromanaging, either, not by a long shot.

Fine, though. I will put off playing until I have time to read the knowledge base and learn all about groups and nodes and singularities and such. Perhaps you're right, after the initial annoyance, it will be easier. However, you can't argue with me about finding this to be a lot more of a pain than learning NMM, as I'm the only one who can answer for myself. If the payoff is worth it or not is yet to be determined.

As far as the last line, what do you mean? Why was Advanced Animation Framework difficult in NMM? I don't recall having a problem.

The part about load order that Mentioned GROUPS, one of those GROUPS is called "Dynamic Patches", and DYNAMIC PATCHES get put at the bottom of the load order.

But Yea I figured I was wasting my time typing that all out.

You seem to insist that your load order can only be correct if you do it by hand.

So I suggest you forget all about Vortex, seriously.

Just go back to NMM, because there's no way that Vortex and you are going to get along, you're dooming yourself to failure by insisting you MUST manually sort your load order when you've been told that you don't need to.

I've been using Vortex for over a year, and using it with absolutely no problems, I know it inside and out, but you just tried it the other day and you "know" that your load order isn't right, even though I'm running a virtually crash-free load order by letting Vortex do it.

So, please, stay with NMM, you're just going to be frustrated with Vortex.

I didn't see anything about dynamic patches on the page I was looking. https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Managing_your_Load_Order

And, no, I use "replace". F4SE says I have an old version of LooksMenu when the only version I see in Vortex is the new one.

I mean, you're saying that I can just let Vortex run and it will be perfect when I'm saying that it's not. That's not up for debate because I can look in my game and see that it's not perfect. Then you're saying that I need to read a knowledge base instead of doing something easy and intuitive. Okay. As I said, I skimmed the whole Groups thing because I was hoping for an easy solution for an incredibly simple problem. Dragging a plugin to the bottom of a load order isn't what I would call micromanaging, either, not by a long shot.

Fine, though. I will put off playing until I have time to read the knowledge base and learn all about groups and nodes and singularities and such. Perhaps you're right, after the initial annoyance, it will be easier. However, you can't argue with me about finding this to be a lot more of a pain than learning NMM, as I'm the only one who can answer for myself. If the payoff is worth it or not is yet to be determined.

As far as the last line, what do you mean? Why was Advanced Animation Framework difficult in NMM? I don't recall having a problem.

The part about load order that Mentioned GROUPS, one of those GROUPS is called "Dynamic Patches", and t just so happens that DYNAMIC PATCHES get put at the bottom of the load order.

But Yea I figured I was wasting my time typing that all out.

You seem to insist that your load order can only be correct if you do it by hand.

So I suggest you forget all about Vortex, seriously.

Just go back to NMM, because there's no way that Vortex and you are going to get along, you're dooming yourself to failure by insisting you MUST manually sort your load order when you've been told that you don't need to.

I've been using Vortex for over a year, and using it with absolutely no problems, I know it inside and out, but you just tried it the other day and you "know" that your load order isn't right, even though I'm running a virtually crash-free load order by letting Vortex do it.

So, please, stay with NMM, you're just going to be frustrated with Vortex.

I have absolutely no idea why you are so combative about this. I seriously do not want to fight about a piece of software. You're acting like I personally insulted you and that's just silly.

I mean, what are you even telling me? That my load order is right because your load order is right for you? That makes no sense. I start the game AND I SEE THE PROBLEM. There is no arguing that. Something needs to be adjusted with my load order, period, full stop. As for DYNAMIC PATCHES, I still don't see it on that page.

The rest of your post is nothing but over exaggeration. Stop that, it's dishonest.

Anyway, the previous poster gave me something to try when he said to make a new group that loads after default. I'll look into that.

Seriously, it looks like intention here is to beat down anyone who expresses frustration until they shut up. I think that's unfortunate and probably won't help anything. Either way, I want no part of fanboy warfare. If I have any other problems I'll try elsewhere. Thank you to those who genuinely want to help.

Thanks for all the replies.

I understand the benefits of the "Vortex Way" and I subscribe to it and try and convert the uninitiated myself at times. :smile:

I just feel that by adding 1 feature and putting as an "for advanced users - please be aware of what you are doing" - type of thing that you would

a) Provide a way for people that have learnt how to manage mods manually continue to do it and then let them learn the benefits of Vortex in their own time rather than rejecting it outright.

b) Cancel out the only remaining criticism/barrier to total adoption of Vortex as the best modern mod manager.

Thank you for your genuine interest in making an excellent mod manager even better. However, I am skeptical of the benefits to be achieved by adding a totally manual plugin management option to Vortex.

First, I doubt that implementing this option would involve simply adding a few lines of new code. I suspect that it would involve considerably more code and would require that some compromises be made in the current Vortex. LOOT groups and sorting are so intertwined with Vortex that it's hard to imagine how a simple "manual plugin load order button" could easily override all those features. Here I hasten to add that I am not a programmer, and so I ask to be corrected on this point, if wrong.

Second, this manual option will not save Vortex from criticism. I know of no mod manager that has been immune to criticism, no matter how many times it has been improved upon. Furthermore, those critical of Vortex plugin management already have NMM, which is a mod manager where they can manually manipulate to their heart's content. Instead of criticizing Vortex, let them use their time constructively by dragging and dropping their plugins elsewhere.

Third, Vortex "total adoption" seems not to be a benefit that Nexusmods is pursuing. As far as I know, Vortex is provided as a convenient tool to facilitate downloading and installing mods, as was NMM. However, Nexusmods doesn't restrict download privileges to Vortex alone. It allows other mod managers to hook into its download system.

Edited by Augusta Calidia

Thanks for all the replies.

I understand the benefits of the "Vortex Way" and I subscribe to it and try and convert the uninitiated myself at times. :smile:

I just feel that by adding 1 feature and putting as an "for advanced users - please be aware of what you are doing" - type of thing that you would

a) Provide a way for people that have learnt how to manage mods manually continue to do it and then let them learn the benefits of Vortex in their own time rather than rejecting it outright.

b) Cancel out the only remaining criticism/barrier to total adoption of Vortex as the best modern mod manager.

Manually manage your mods in Vortex is no problem what so ever. I have used both MO and NMM prior to Vortex and found no problems adapting what so ever. With 300 mods (+200 esp) to manage for Skyrim SE i am very impressed with Vortex. If i am not happy with auto sort i can just add the mod to a group, make a group or make a rule for a group or a mod. Anything you could do with NMM you can do with Vortex.... but better.

@ pokota .... perhaps you did not monkey around with Vortex but here are some screenshots about how to use the groups and rules in the Plugin Screen :

1 - As you can see, you double click on the Plugin you would like to move to a group ( in the bottom - called Dynamic Patches - ), and a window will open on the right side of that plugin; do you see the Group ( field ) where Default is displayed ? There is a dropping arrow, just click on that arrow and you choose Dynamic Patches and that plugin will be automatically placed on that group ( bottom of the pile ).

Click on MANAGE RULES and the below window will pop up. Here you choose your plugin and setup a condition. Under the Select field, you can choose that plugin to LOAD AFTER the other mod showing on the right field ( you need to pick ) - same principle that dragging and dropping :

Click on MANAGE GROUPS and you will see the Group Diagram … as you can see, the Dynamic Patch is the last one in my Load Order. On this screen you can create group, remove, add and name your own group, etc, etc. etc, ….

Last but not the least, in the Plugin Screen you can DRAG & DROP any plugin wherever you want by just dragging the plugin by clicking and holding ( to drag ) the little icon beside each plugin. So, Vortex allow you to do everything than NMM does but in a different way. However, people insist in adding a function like NMM, drag and drop as we usually did back with NMM but that is not available.

From the 2 - 3 seconds you need to drag and drop a plugin in NMM to the 2-3 seconds required by Vortex to just ADD a plugin to the Dynamic Patch Group, the difference is not even necessary to compare ( talking here about the physical effort that we need to use to handle such task ) … however, moving a plugin in NMM could destroy your load order while moving a plugin in Vortex to the such called Dynamic Patches Group, will not destroy anything and always you can change without affecting your game.

HadToRegister tried to help you and convince you that manually dragging / dropping are not necessary in Vortex but still that functionality exist and it is available to whoever would like to monkey around that way with the plugins and even though he tried to help you, you were not grateful for the time he wasted to explain to you to embrace the way Vortex works.

For the record my friend : we try to help the best we can but ultimately, it is your call if you want to continue dealing with NMM or just give a shot to Vortex to learn it and be happy with it. I have been using Vortex for more than a year ( since it was out ) and never had the need to move a plugin anywhere. My games are stable ( SkyrimSE and Fallout 4 ) and Vortex has made my game modding, super easy and reliable. Since I do not have the need to manually move anything anywhere, I just let Vortex to handle the plugins for me and be done with it. Easier than that you will never find in the entire world.

However, as HadToRegister said : thinking NMM wise to handle Vortex is not going to work …. that is the reason I have been screaming out of my lungs to EMBRACE and TRUST Vortex 100% and to completely eliminate from your brain, what you learned with NMM. Going in the opposite direction will be simply unwise.

Cheers, :geek:

I totally agree here, some mods need to go at the bottom of the load order so you have to keep making new rules for them when you get a new mod to keep them there. My idea is to add a new rule "must load at bottom" so the mod will always be loaded last.

I totally agree here, some mods need to go at the bottom of the load order so you have to keep making new rules for them when you get a new mod to keep them there. My idea is to add a new rule "must load at bottom" so the mod will always be loaded last.

You can already do that using group assignments. Use a late loading group.

Edited by Augusta Calidia

As Augusta says, Vortex already handles that.

How would it work if we did add the setting you described and you set it on several plugins? They can't all be last.

Out of interest which plugins "need" to be last that aren't already put there by Vortex? Usually mods that "need" to be last have some kind of inherent issue or need their loot data updating.

Double click the mod, in the right hand panel that opens up, put the mod in the "DYNAMIC Patches" group.

BOOM, instant "to the bottom of the load order"

Reading the "Managing your load order" section in the Knowledge Base