Stop asking us to buy premium

Paulicus1

I rarely buy new games, and have had many recent bill increases with more on the way. If you can afford premium, great. Not everyone can. I'm fine with restricted download speeds and whatever other perks I lose out on, I just don't like constant harassment to buy a product I don't need, as most reasonable people would.

I'm here to offer feedback, not argue with any of you, so I'm out. Keep bashing whoever you guys want, I figured out a solution anyway.

Edited by Paulicus1

I'm here to offer feedback, not argue with any of you, so I'm out. Keep bashing whoever you guys want, I figured out a solution anyway.

Let me guess: A certain userscript that does away with the free / premium ad page entirely. And people wonder why Nexus Mods has to continually ask for money.

Mark my words, if that userscript becomes more popular, Nexus Mods will likely be forced to take action that the free users will most certainly not like.

Guest deleted34304850

That was a really stupid thing to write, even more stupid than your posts in this thread.

By the way, not once in this thread were you "bashed". You offered an argument, and were given reasonable counters to that argument. Nothing more than that.

Edited by 1ae0bfb8

I just don't like constant harassment to buy a product I don't need

I think you're just taking the piss now, you're talking about not wanting to buy a product "you don't need", while using that product to download 100+ mods for free.

If the Nexus was truly a product "You don't need", then you wouldn't be seeing the nag screen 100+ times, you would instead, just not be here.

Hi Paulicus1,

I'm sorry if you feel your feedback has been met with hostility, but you must understand that this isn't the first time a post like this has popped up and it won't be the last. The frequent posters in the community are clearly tired of the same old argument.

Premium reminders have always been a part of the site and probably always will be (unless in some ideal world we can afford to offer Premium free for everyone). When people complain about this small change to the download flow, they quickly forget that we recently doubled the download speed for non-Premium users. So while you might have to click an extra time for your downloads, you can now actually get the files twice as fast.

It's also worth mentioning that we've been able to put more money into our Mod Rewards system, giving back to the awesome people who make the mods you enjoy. I daresay some of the authors who replied here can attest to how much they've benefited from this scheme compared to user donations alone. Since we started the system we've been able to triple what we pay out from ~$10,000 to ~$30,000 per month. That increase alone can be related directly to having reminders of our Premium plans in more visual locations.

I've had several users say to me "I paid ~$2 in 2010, why does it say I don't have Premium anymore?" since this change. In a lot of these cases the users had bought the Supporter plan to remove ads a long time ago and had no idea there was a way to get faster downloads and support the site they love.

I'm always surprised by the lengths people will go to avoid this incredibly minor inconvenience. If you want to install dodgy and (frankly) scummy third party scripts from questionable sources, go ahead, but please don't post links to them here. I have edited your original post to remove that link and deleted (what I'm assuming) is your post on our Reddit page.

I hope you can at least understand why these messages exist. We want to provide the best possible website and community for everyone who uses the site, but advertising alone will not cover the costs to make that possible (especially in the age of ad blockers). Premium is optional and I completely get that it may not something you can or want to purchase, but if just a small fraction of users who see the message decide to support us we can continue to improve the site for everyone.

Your solution is the moral equivalent of pirating 100 movies instead of buying them because you're sick of seeing ads for them every night on TV.

If you haven't tried downloading 100+ mods (many with multiple files), you should do so before dismissing others' feedback. You may find yourself thinking somewhat differently.

HAHAHAHA! Someone suggesting any of the users arguing against this threads point hasn't downloaded lots of mods is funny to me.

With that said if you want to see these types of inconveniences go away, you should propose a better solution with actual statistics backing it. Otherwise nothing will change and you are just wasting time.

"If you haven't tried downloading 100+ mods (many with multiple files), you should do so before dismissing others' feedback. You may find yourself thinking somewhat differently."

As someone that has downloaded a lot more than 100 mods every week for months I can tell you it takes less time to just get over it and download mods than it takes to whine about the premium banner.

Because the OP is a spammer, that's why, and these threads should be locked and hidden away. The site is not just reminding us that it needs support, it also keeps reminding us that the modders need support. Is that an annoyance to you too that all things are not just free and fall out of the sky? I haven't gotten the chance to support these guys just yet, but looking a gift horse in the mouth and complaining is just the most disgusting thing man. That's people's work you're just profiting off of shamelessly. I'd give these guys a warning if it were me. Or maybe two because they didn't even bother to check it's already been discussed a thousand times. Stupid. "I can't afford" - you can't even afford a thank you? Guys like this don't deserve anything.

Edited by bitoolean

• 2 weeks later...

They should find another way to incentivize people to sign up, this kind of obtrusive advert is absurd and unbecoming of the Nexus. I realize the site requires money but I'd rather they sell premium on it's own merits, rather than badgering us to sign up with every download. Speeds are already capped.

Not to sound adversarial, because I do understand both sides of this, but an alternative is lose the ability to freely download mods from here or pay up. At least you're getting something for nothing in return. Perhaps that makes it easier to handle? I can't see them moving in any other direction from where they are if they're not getting enough revenue. You could also do what I do when it comes to sites that I don't want to pay for for their content...I simply look elsewhere. I don't have a right to that content anyway. It's provided as a service at whatever price they deem fit. I can in my own right decide if it's worth that and pay it or move on. This isn't to be dismissive, but frankly you're owed nothing. I could see more of a grievance if you're being pushed ad content that has nothing to do with the site, but this is 100% in support of that which you want to take advantage.