Vortex Alpha Release

Dark0ne

In response to post #57727526. #57731256 is also a reply to the same post.

mcdanielskh wrote: OK im quite sure there use to be a submit feedback button inside of Vortex.
I saw it the first few minutes I was using Vortex a few days ago, but have not found it since.
Shouldn't it be easy to find? I would submit feedback about that but.. :)
J.O.D. wrote: Press the three dot button next to your profile in upper right corner...

A HA, that's where it is. Thank you :)

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still trying to figure out how to make it work like MO (can it?) i want to keep my Skyrim installation pristine, while mods are just virtually installed as MO does.

Am i blind or that is not implemented in Vortex?

In response to post #57766476.

remlnx wrote: I'm still trying to figure out how to make it work like MO (can it?) i want to keep my Skyrim installation pristine, while mods are just virtually installed as MO does.

VFS is not in Vortex, hardlinks are. So the data folder is intact still, just another method.

In response to post #57766476. #57771296 is also a reply to the same post.

remlnx wrote: I'm still trying to figure out how to make it work like MO (can it?) i want to keep my Skyrim installation pristine, while mods are just virtually installed as MO does.
J.O.D. wrote: VFS is not in Vortex, hardlinks are. So the data folder is intact still, just another method.

So basically: I have to deploy to use my mods (Vortex will physically install it in my Data folder based on my install and load order i set on Vortex) and simply use the purge function to have it back as vanilla.

Am i right? Sorry im not really good on technical stuff and i have no clue on how hardlinks are working.

In response to post #57766476. #57771296 is also a reply to the same post.

J.O.D. wrote: VFS is not in Vortex, hardlinks are. So the data folder is intact still, just another method.
So basically: I have to deploy to use my mods (Vortex will physically install it in my Data folder based on my install and load order i set on Vortex) and simply use the purge function to have it back as vanilla.

Am i right? Sorry im not really good on technical stuff and i have no clue on how hardlinks are working.

Essentially, except for the parenthetical part. Vortex copies hard links into the data directory, not the files themselves. This is a more space efficient method.

In response to post #57639276. #57653421, #57697701, #57699261, #57703476, #57727756 are all replies on the same post.

hati39 wrote: Since I seem not to be the only one with this problem: do I install skse64 as a seperate tool like LOOT beside the games directory or do I install it inside the games directory (as described in the skse readme). And I remember some problems during my MO times, so: What do I do with the scripts of any mod that uses skse? Will I have to move them to skse/scripts or does Vortex handle them like any other mod file?

edit: the usage of FNIS reveals some questions in the same direction ;)

edit #2: ok, since I want to start testing and nobody has an answer for me, I've installed skse64 as I did with MO, so I installed the main files to the games dir and the data folder as a mod. I leave fnis uninstalled for now.
mcdanielskh wrote: disregard. accidental post. Sorry
lued123 wrote: You can just install the entirety of SKSE as "vanilla" files. MO required the scripts to be installed as a mod because the VFS was weird, but Vortex uses highly compatible features that come with Windows, so you don't have to do that.
mcdanielskh wrote: Let me get this straight, We should just install in Vortex as packaged?
Or dont use Vortex?
I want to use Vortex so I can easily remove them by purging.
Can Vortex install stuff outside of the Data folder?
If not then I'm back to doing it as I did it.,
DarkDominion wrote: Install SKSE64: dll and exe go into the game file ( afaik Vortex can’t do this ) and I would suggest to zip up the scripts and install those through Vortex as any other date file dependent file ( so its easier to remove ).
That’s how I [edit] do it and it never fails...

EDIT: this is straight from Gophers video on how to install SKSE for Oldrim, not so much my idea :D
mcdanielskh wrote: Thanks DarkDominion, That's what I thought as well, and what I originally did. :) Which happens to be how I use to do it in MO as well. I was thinking lued123 was saying something more profound than he really was. No offence intended lued123 and I get what you are saying as well. However, I think adding the parts that go into the Data folder by zipping and adding as a mod makes a lot of since as DarkDominion also suggested.

Just installed skse64 2-00-06 as a 7z file. Vortex will only install files in data folder. So! Manually drag n drop skse files into root folder (Skyrim) and root dir for scr fold. Part good part bad. The good is the fact if you wanted to uninstall skse it would be a night mare going through the script folder to figure which ones you need to remove. Using vortex to install what it will makes it easier to remove script files later.

Then all you have to do is set the path on the skse icon by the game. Select the 3 dots choose edit and put in the path for skse64_loder.exe. You then can launch game from there as well perhaps desktop icon if you set it up. Edited by scorpious2012

In response to post #57785636.

scorpious2012 wrote: Does anyone know to edit the target path for Skyrim Special Edition. Currently is has a hard coded path that can not be changed. Therefore I can't start game from Vortex. It shows target as SkyrimSE.exe not the SkyrimSELanucher.exe. Any help would be great.

Someone may have a better way to do this, but use the Add Tool option on the dashboard. This will open a modal form allowing you to enter the information of an executable. Once that is setup click on the three vertical dots next to the name you chose for the executable and select the option "Make Primary". Now when you launch from the big image it will run the executable you selected. This is how I have it set to run F4SE for my Fallout game.

In response to post #57635051.

Nashman10 wrote: This software is obviously still in very early development, but using this has given me hope for what it can be.

My main issue with the mod currently is the file management in the specific game folders. Vortex seems to use the same system as NMM has used for "putting" mods in your game by just placing them in your Data folder, making it much too cluttered. I was hoping Vortex would use the system MO used by creating a separate "ModOrganizer" where anything to do with mods you downloaded can be easily accessed, edited, etc. Also I hope the Mods menu will, in the future, put your mods in Category tabs

The social aspect and user interface seems to be the main point of this alpha and it has immense opportunity to provide user with a better experience than MO or others could ever be.

Modding software has obviously needed an update, and I think this can get it done, but it still has a while to go.

I have it setup for advanced users, not sure if this menu option is always available, but there is a bar across the top of the Mods "tab". The last option is "Open in File Manager". This will open the Mods in your file manager that will be loaded before being deployed. You can edit the mods there, then using the "Deploy Mods" command it will push your edits as hard links to your data folder.