155 replies to this topic

Site Bot

Site Bot

Fear me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569,167 posts
SkyRealism - Encumbrance

Have you ever wondered how the dragonborn can run around arrying around dozens of weapons, multiple suits of armor, and hundreds of potions...yet when they pick up a flower, they suddenly move at half speed?

Higherleopards

Higherleopards

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
I get to be the first to comment here? this mod is dope! great idea. It adds a lot more realism with a seemingly simple tweak.

MTichenor

MTichenor

Slayer of Trolls

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
@Higherleopards

Thanks! It really is a simple tweak too, as a proof of concept mod. It's definitely not what I'd consider "publishable" material yet, but it will be...as soon as someone can tell me how I can apply a slow to characters that doesn't rely on the SpeedMult variable. If you're interested in Realism, keep an eye on any other mods I release. I've got grand plans, but I'd like some feedback and support.

Atardecer

Atardecer

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 4,238 posts
I really like the idea of this mod and been waiting for something since it seems hardcore encumbrance is no longer being developed. However I'd foresee a whole bunch of compatibility problems with combat mods and overhauls regarding stacking speeds. I'd like to perhaps see weight affect stamina also/instead (same compat problem though I guess). Also Im not sure about the idea of skills affecting speed. I think it should be purely stamina based and work so that you cannot move if you are over your carryweight by 50 or so, and have speed/weight scaled from that. While the units of weight measurement are not exactly defined (ie. not pounds) I think 300 is too much and prefer to start with less. Anyway, Skyrealism looks promising and look forward to its future ;)

Edited by Atardecer, 28 July 2012 - 03:23 pm.

MTichenor

MTichenor

Slayer of Trolls

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
@Atardecer
Don't worry. I fully intend to re-write the combat system eventually with an eye towards extreme realism as well. It's called SkyRealism for a reason.

As for skills affecting speed...I don't like the idea that someone can choose what their magicka / health / stamina scores are just because they've leveled up. It's not realistic. At some point I intend to minimize the effect that level up bonuses have on those stats and make those scores mostly dependent on skills.

As for weight units not being defined...I'm writing a mod RIGHT NOW that will be converting all weights to pounds (kilograms screw up the sneak system), along with a ton of changes to materials, recipes, and the like.

toorup

toorup

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts
great idea ill be tracking

autosynthesis

autosynthesis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
I've just postponed my next playthrough so I can wait for all 5 SkyRealism mods, I am excited to say the least!

Atardecer

Atardecer

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 4,238 posts
Sounds good, although it going to have to be a hell of a combat system to tear me away from duke Patrick's and skyre compatibilityb ;) I'm all for the realism factor. Slower weapon speeds ftw.

MTichenor

MTichenor

Slayer of Trolls

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
@autosynthesis Don't wait on my behalf! Honestly, it's going to take time for me to get everything done. Hopefully I'll get my 3rd mod out by tonight, but no promises. The big one will be the Mass and Materials mod. I'm actually trying to get permission from all my favorite mod authors (Immersive Armor, Cloaks of Skyrim, Crafting Complete, Weapon Variants Expansion, etc.) to use their mods as requirements before I start making serious modifications. There's far too many compatibility issues to keep track of if I don't make them all work together right. @Atardecer As for SkyRe...I seriously hope I can get T3mp0 to help me out with a combat system. I know I'm going to need help if I'll do anything like that. I'd like to get help from the author of Total Realism - Basic Needs as well, in order to get Feast and Famine done right.

Edited by IndigoNeko, 29 July 2012 - 12:58 am.

thedisgrace

thedisgrace

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
I love this mod(and its sister mod), it's a much better system than vanilla and really stresses the need for stuff to carry things in. Flat capacity increases given by backpack/etc mods, when used on vanilla always truck me as cheatish since you can already carry so much. This makes them practical, intuitive, necessary, and immersive. Nice job! I do have a problem though. Recently the speed variable has been fluctuating madly. I will be jogging along in a straight line with a pretty heavy load and my character will go slowly one second and then fly along at breakneck speeds the next. It's distracting and occasionally dangerous (nearly threw me off a cliff one time) not to mention making combat tricky. I'm not sure what is causing it. I will play with some things (in-game, load order) and will let you know if I can find out what's going wrong.

Edited by thedisgrace, 30 July 2012 - 10:34 pm.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.812 seconds