Trying to understand

MajorCyco

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raptilize, on 17 Jul 2021 - 7:29 PM, said "stop hate"

Offering up a different point of view shouldn't be a reason for hate, too bad you're not sticking around for this answer, theres irony in it.

there is no hate at all from my side. i'm just a little exhausted and i added some sarkasm due to repeated content like yours branded as surprisingly new. i accept that. be happy...

i think i need a long break. there is not much to understand or at least it is all said to be able to understand. seems a porblem for some and we are now on page 33.

.. and editing broken quotes is a mess.

Gonna have to agree with the guy that basically said 99.99% of mod authors aren't going to change a thing despite the noise. Thats exactly what they are banking on with the surprise policy changes with accompanying deadline.  I mean they didn't really say that out loud but they did say....

"We understand that not everyone in the mod author community shares our convictions and our vision, and that is why we are granting a 1 month grace period in which mod authors can request to have all their files deleted for good by contacting [email protected]."

I understand being upset over the archiving bit too, my own personal experience with archiving came when I tried to get my 10 yr old World of Warcraft account back.. I got it! I did! It was right there. Apparently they archived all the info and it went smooooth like butter. I didn't ask them to but they did it anyway. Apparently its a common practice here on the internet, I mean look at wayback.archive.org! They got a whole weird thing going on over there.

*Stolen from Wikipedia cuz its on the internet and its on the internet so its true"

Â

"The Wayback Machine began archiving cached web pages in May 1996, with the goal of making the service public five years later.

Internet Archive founders Brewster Kahle and Bruce Gilliat launched the Wayback Machine in San Francisco, California in October 2001, primarily to address the problem of website content vanishing whenever it gets changed or when a website is shut down. The service enables users to see archived versions of web pages across time, which the archive calls a "three-dimensional index" Kahle and Gilliat created the machine hoping to archive the entire Internet and provide "universal access to all knowledge"Â Your mods might even be there, too.

As aggravating as this post might come across, This isn't a brand new thing. The precedent was set sorta right after they invented the internet. This isn't that precedent by the way, this is just an example that came much much later.  I'm willing to bet pretty much any other file hosting sight in the world does about the same thing. Thats why we've been warning you kids for years and years and years "Don't upload anything you're not comfortable having on there!" Cuz its more permanent than a tattoo.

I understand copyright materials and all that. I would suggest if you don't want any copyrighted material you have on this website to remain on here you gather your copyright ID# or certification# or whatever they give you when you copyright something, and you present that to Nexusmods with a formal letter asking them to remove such n such material and they will probably be legally bound to do so and more than happy to comply.

*Buyer Beware!!!*

From the US Copyright Office

Â

Notice

Please be aware that when you register your claim to a copyright in a work with the U.S. Copyright Office, you are making a public record. All the information you provide on your copyright registration is available to the public and will be available on the Internet.

Say it aint so copyright people! Say it aint so! .....on the internet??!! REALLY???!!!!  Even the Copyrighterers don't respect your copyrights!!!

Obviously this is just for the US, other jurisdictions I'm sure have their own rules about copyright, looking at you China.

I understand I have the right to remain silent and anything I say can and will be used against me on the internet.

Â

archive.org remove websites and content from their system when requested to do so. So dunno why you're using them as a comparable example to Nexus Mods.

Sad.

I tested Fallout 4 a while a year or two ago with a few mods from Nexus, and was elated at the additional variety and content that so seamlessly integrated into the game. I have immense respect for most of the developers, who just want to show the world a different and often better version of the game

I just rejoined about a week ago, and the very next day I saw the post.

I'm a complete modding newbie, but I don't think this not software packaging at all, is it guys? its an ugly part of human nature. I'm probably preaching to the choir and sincerely hope I'm wrong though.

And some people have been here and helped build this place for over a decade....

"The Wayback Machine began archiving cached web pages in May 1996, with the goal of making the service public five years later.

Internet Archive founders Brewster Kahle and Bruce Gilliat launched the Wayback Machine in San Francisco, California in October 2001, primarily to address the problem of website content vanishing whenever it gets changed or when a website is shut down. The service enables users to see archived versions of web pages across time, which the archive calls a "three-dimensional index". Kahle and Gilliat created the machine hoping to archive the entire Internet and provide "universal access to all knowledge" Your mods might even be there, too.

Yes, and much of it is illegal.

Posting something to the internet does not relinquish one's rights in the IP of that material. They get by with it because most people don't have the time, money, or bandwidth to chase it down and assert their rights in said material.

I sometimes see entire articles taken from publishers with paywalls replicated in forums. That some people will copy such material does not make it legal.

ETA: And frankly, even where no paywall is involved, copying rather than linking to the original deprives the original host site of the traffic.

Yep, just because someone does a thing doesn't make it a legal thing to do.

That archive.org does this doesn't make it legal. It's not even morally justifiable. Wholesale republication of someone's work without their permission is a copyright violation, pure and simple. It's frankly sickening to me that such a company is allowed to get away with this, and that they feel entitled to do it over the objections of the rights holders. But I'd wager it's why Nexus thinks they're above the law too. "Look, they're doing it, I guess we can too."

Even more sickening that you have to pursue a DMCA takedown to get the unauthorized republications taken down from archive.org.

Sad.

I tested Fallout 4 a while a year or two ago with a few mods from Nexus, and was elated at the additional variety and content that so seamlessly integrated into the game. I have immense respect for most of the developers, who just want to show the world a different and often better version of the game

I just rejoined about a week ago, and the very next day I saw the post.

I'm a complete modding newbie, but I don't think this not software packaging at all, is it guys? its an ugly part of human nature. I'm probably preaching to the choir and sincerely hope I'm wrong though.

And some people have been here and helped build this place for over a decade....

if you are new i recommend you to get all information about the game limitations of fo4 regarding modding. if you do not know about that happy modding with low frame rate, fps drops and ctd sooner or later. this game is already optimzed in vanilla state and you should know how to mod if you don't wnat to suffer from too many or badly optimized mods. dx11 and openworld is a problem because of dx11 interface limitation (google "drawcall limit"). many people including modders do not care or do not have a clue that fo4 is limited and you cannot just install a "bunch of mods" without consequences. you need some background. so you should know about that and get the information if you haven't done it so far.

that is also a reason why "mod lists" (only a good thing if the "mod list curator" exactly knows what he do) can be a nice frame dropping event even with decent hw.

Internet Archive founders Brewster Kahle and Bruce Gilliat launched the Wayback Machine in San Francisco, California in October 2001, primarily to address the problem of website content vanishing whenever it gets changed or when a website is shut down. The service enables users to see archived versions of web pages across time, which the archive calls a "three-dimensional index". Kahle and Gilliat created the machine hoping to archive the entire Internet and provide "universal access to all knowledge" Your mods might even be there, too.

Yes, and much of it is illegal.

Posting something to the internet does not relinquish one's rights in the IP of that material. They get by with it because most people don't have the time, money, or bandwidth to chase it down and assert their rights in said material.

I sometimes see entire articles taken from publishers with paywalls replicated in forums. That some people will copy such material does not make it legal.

ETA: And frankly, even where no paywall is involved, copying rather than linking to the original deprives the original host site of the traffic.

Yep, just because someone does a thing doesn't make it a legal thing to do.

That archive.org does this doesn't make it legal. It's not even morally justifiable. Wholesale republication of someone's work without their permission is a copyright violation, pure and simple. It's frankly sickening to me that such a company is allowed to get away with this, and that they feel entitled to do it over the objections of the rights holders. But I'd wager it's why Nexus thinks they're above the law too. "Look, they're doing it, I guess we can too."

Even more sickening that you have to pursue a DMCA takedown to get the unauthorized republications taken down from archive.org.

IIRC, the reason that Archive.org is able to do what it's doing is because they're officially recognized by the IRS as a non-profit, so they have grounds to claim that it's fair use. Don't quote me on that, because I'm not 100% sure. I just know that there's a loophole that lets them do what they're doing.

SOME Modders would've just been happy being told about the change BEFORE THE NEXUS ACTUALLY CHANGED IT

SOME Modders would've just been happy, if after finding out about the change, they were allowed to remove Some, all, or none of their mods for ever how long they have their mods hosted here

SOME modders would've just been happy being able to say "Nah, I don't want my mod included in a mod list, because I update it far too often" or "It's still got some bugs I'm working out"

The way the Nexus handled this, they made sure that NONE of the options mentioned above, were available to modders, and instead they choose the option that would upset as many people (mod Authors, Mod Users) as possible.

Thanks to Neonsquare for posting some interesting contextual background.

I'm having a little trouble understanding why anyone would choose to be a mod collection curator. Taking on that role will put them directly in the hotseat/line of fire of those who are least likely to have any knowledge whatsoever of mods and modding and are completely unwilling to seek information, try to solve their own problems, read anything made available to them, and might be unable to comprehend and carry out the simplest of directions.

I don't mean to imply that every single user of a curated collection will be a nightmare to support, only that they'll get more than their fair share of them.

But then I guess I don't fully understand the value of these proposed collections, anyway. Modding is something we do to customize our gaming experience per our own tastes and interests. Installing a pre-packaged, pre-configured collection someone else created is antithesis to personalized customization. Curators might try to be flexible by offering a variety of different variants of collections - but that would require users to read a lot of information to select which one they'd prefer which may require more effort than they're willing to expend.

It'll be really interesting to see how this collections experiment pans out. I suspect it's going to be really problematic, and Nexus may regret the trust they lost with MAs to accommodate it.

IIRC, the reason that Archive.org is able to do what it's doing is because they're officially recognized by the IRS as a non-profit, so they have grounds to claim that it's fair use. Don't quote me on that, because I'm not 100% sure. I just know that there's a loophole that lets them do what they're doing.

That's not what fair use means. Rather than try to explain it here, I'd suggest you search it.

Also, profit motive has nothing to do with whether IP law has been violated.