Trying to understand

MajorCyco

You also acknowledge that ModDrop may retain, display, distribute, or perform, server copies of Submitted Projects that have been removed or deleted

No i did not read, i just give a quick look on the curseforge TOS and they say no adult stuff, i have some skimpy mods, so i think there is not for me, the others i did not read nothing.

But saying that one of the places i suggest is terrible do not help, i am sure there is somewhere that we can go or at least try to go, because this is the most logical action, nexus will not change their position, i already wrote for some places that host mods asking if they could open a FO4 section, if more people do this, maybe we can bring some attention, i don´t think we will have a nexus clone now, but with time we can have a even better place.

Fact is, there is not much talking about this outside nexus forums, i think i see 2 youtube videos about this and some articles in kotaku and other sites, even here, there is 3 or 4 topics about this, and the topics become a dumpster, mods are still being uploaded, so is up to us to find competition, i am very open to any place to give a try, you say modrop is terrible, ok, i will remove that from my list, but there must be more places than i mention.

Here's the sentence right BEFORE the one he posted in the ToS

With regard to User Submissions known as “add-ons”, "maps", "mods", or other types of projects submitted through the ModDrop desktop client application or sites powered by ModDrop (“Submitted Projects”), the aforementioned rights granted by you terminate once you remove or delete such Submitted Projects from the Service.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to be the guy who will say that, but will work for them... because people here are fighting something that clearly will not change, and people are fighting here on nexus forums, this alone shows how much power they have.

I wrote this already but will write again, users are the ones that should be fighting this, not mod authors, they will pay the price (money price), not authors...

What MA should be doing is not arguing about copyright, ownership etc... they should talk about other places and take their work and put on other platforms, from LL, moddb, curseforge, moddrop, modworkshop etc... and see how it goes, give the users a option and maybe we can have a change, maybe a topic about places to go will bring more attention than topics about copyright.

I also think this is the most logical course of action. Most of all, I hope people will not just remain scattered to their own discords, social media and other places where they'll be hard to find for new users.

I quite like moddingham. It's a bit bare-bones atm, but it's entirely 'by modders for modders'. Adult content is a bit of a pickle for the time being, mostly due to the hosting, but there's quite a good alternative for that already. Something of an 'if you build it they will come' vs 'if they come I'll build it' paradox is inherent in any new modding site, of course. Either way, dagoba will defnitely take feedback into account.

Edited by DoctaSax

I also think this is the most logical course of action. Most of all, I hope people will not just remain scattered to their own discords, social media and other places where they'll be hard to find for new users.

I quite like moddingham. It's a bit bare-bones atm, but it's entirely 'by modders for modders'. Adult content is a bit of a pickle for the time being, mostly due to the hosting, but there's quite a good alternative for that already. Something of an 'if you build it they will come' vs 'if they come I'll build it' paradox is inherent in any new modding site, of course. Either way, dagoba will defnitely take feedback into account.

Didn't know Dagoba had a site up.

I'm also hoping that NSFW manages to pull through with their plans for hosting.

I look forward to seeing how you request a file deletion without violating the unlimited storage and distribution license you would be agreeing to.

The ToS with a "license" like that, isnt valid, if it goes to court, they will say, that it isnt valid, there are enough examples. The ToS has a lot of problems... (unnoticed changes etc, you have to agree to changes, if u dont want to agree, u can delete ur account, with all your stuff)

I *think* the Nexus's position is that you have have uploaded only a copy of your mod that they can do with as per the TOS and that you retain the original (and thus full rights) to do with as you please (upload to another site, etc.)

I *think* the Nexus's position is that you have have uploaded only a copy of your mod that they can do with as per the TOS and that you retain the original (and thus full rights) to do with as you please (upload to another site, etc.)

Sounds like their mental gymnastics are allowing them to think "Hey you still own your mod cause you can totally keep working on it and upload it anywhere you want!" when in reality they are claiming at least partial ownership over any mod uploaded and then if anyone complains they reference a new system "Collections" that they promise more information will come soon.... as in after the deadline when no one has a choice anymore.

I personally think the danger is not with them not deleting things.... that is bad but that they claim they have the rights to EDIT the mods and then redistribute the edited mod. When they do that will that mod be shown as the original MA even tho they did not make that edit OR will it now be claimed by Nexus as their own mod? How will that work?

Think of it this way. You own the mod. They own the file you upload.

edit: So far the only "editing" they've done to uploaded files is repairing corrupted files. What would be the point of archiving a file to keep it available forever if they are just going to edit the mod and change it anyway?

Sounds like their mental gymnastics are allowing them to think "Hey you still own your mod cause you can totally keep working on it and upload it anywhere you want!" when in reality they are claiming at least partial ownership over any mod uploaded and then if anyone complains they reference a new system "Collections" that they promise more information will come soon.... as in after the deadline when no one has a choice anymore.

I personally think the danger is not with them not deleting things.... that is bad but that they claim they have the rights to EDIT the mods and then redistribute the edited mod. When they do that will that mod be shown as the original MA even tho they did not make that edit OR will it now be claimed by Nexus as their own mod? How will that work?

The editing thing is related to removing corrupted files or deleting problematic comments from a mod page, etc. and that sort of thing. Not stealing your mod. Look, I am against the way they have handled this too, but extreme paranoia undermines the legitimacy of the mod author's position in all of this.

Guest deleted34304850

i rather think gaslighting and derailing conversations to suit agendas undermines the legitimacy of the mod author's position. there are many in this thread that seem to be here to do exactly that and what few mod authors there are in this thread have been swamped by trolls and gaslighters unloading on mod authors at every turn.

i rather think gaslighting and derailing conversations to suit agendas undermines the legitimacy of the mod author's position. there are many in this thread that seem to be here to do exactly that and what few mod authors there are in this thread have been swamped by trolls and gaslighters unloading on mod authors at every turn.

There is some of that, for sure. But also, I think, anyone who doesn't have the "gahh, Nexus suxorz!" type attitude is labelled a troll or accused of gas-lighting, etc. As I said, I hate the way they are going about this, but some of what has been posted here is way off base.