Trying to understand

MajorCyco

In all honesty, I get the impression that they never planned to give us the out they are giving until people started raising a fuss about the missing delete button, which only happened because a modder who's name I can't remember accidentally uploaded the wrong mod to a page he'd just published, messaged the staff to have it removed upon realizing the button was missing, and was denied, despite having a valid reason to have the file deleted. The possibility that this situation could've been much worse genuinely frightens me.

This is the facts.... it came out mid June on the Mod Author's Discord server. People asking 'wth?' then Nexus was "oh, yeah....about that...'

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

//WHATABOUTISM// Says the 19k posts guy.

//DEFLECTION// Don't understand why a certain sub set of people are being so aggressive. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wasn't talking to you, but apparently you're going to jump in anyway.

You all must be working together, because I never heard of the three of you until the Nexus announced the change, then POW, out of the woodwork you come.

I earned the majority of those 19K posts helping out in the forums, like the Vortex support forums, y'know, actually CONTRIBUTING.

I just had to add a number of names to my blacklist to be able to read this thread without children throwing tantrums over a ridiculous number of pages, or trolls doing their thing.

Anyway...

Like I said before, both on the GMAD before I lost access, and here, I haven't had mods here for a while due to a lack of time to take care of mods "for the public". I have plenty of mods spanning various games, however, if I'm ever to host them anywhere, it will not be on Nexus. According to the games' EULA, they're my IP, and I'm not giving my IP to Nexus.

When I look at it as a mod user, I basically use the Nexus for Bethesda games and little else. Most other games have their own sites to host mods (stardew valley, rimworld, RAFT - to name a couple) and I get my mods from there. I have a collection of discord servers where I also get mods. For those mods I use, whose authors are leaving/left the Nexus, I joined their servers/sites.

I'm on the MA side, and no amount of word salads, whining or trolling will change my mind.

Â

Â

Â

6. It increases the possibility of your mod being noticed as it may end up being included in a collection which may lead to many users learning about your mod where as before it was under the radar. There are tons of amazing mods that just sometimes never get the attention they deserve. Collections just add another layer that can create a great opportunity for such cases.

No, it increases the possibility that the user doesn't even know they're using that mod, since they installed a Collection based on its overall hype and didn't even bother to read which mods are included before pressing their one-button-install. Given that many users don't even bother to read a mod's description, comments section, bug reports, or readme files before installing (and then complaining to the author that it's "broken"), I give this a very high probability.

Â

Â

This here is such a good point.Â

Â

I just saw the other day someone saying in the USSEP comment section that USSEP breaks Alternative Start.....

Â

Collections just mean people know even lesser from whom they have mods. They never need to go on the mod page, and they won't. Because they will install a list, and when they like something in game, they wouldnt even know which mod makes that.Â

Â

So many points from people here that are pro "take away deletion" for the "greater good" seriously dont see how many holes their arguments actually have. But we are the ones that search for negatives.....sigh....

Â

-_-

Â

Â

I have maybe around five really good FO4 mods that I use that add new objects to the settlement menus. They're all different, all quality stuff, and all in separate menus.

But once I place them in the game, for the most part I couldn't for the life of me tell you which objects came from which mods without going back and looking. And that's with me having intentionally chosen that handful of mods for what they add, and with them being in separate menus in the settlement menus.

I don't expect some "average modder" with a 200-mod Collections list to have any clue what part of their game play came from which mod. Especially if the collection has a couple dozen mods that all add in new guns or something like that.

Exactly!

In all honesty, I get the impression that they never planned to give us the out they are giving until people started raising a fuss about the missing delete button, which only happened because a modder who's name I can't remember accidentally uploaded the wrong mod to a page he'd just published, messaged the staff to have it removed upon realizing the button was missing, and was denied, despite having a valid reason to have the file deleted. The possibility that this situation could've been much worse genuinely frightens me.

A point i was thinkig about as well.

Thats what I thinlk is the worst part about this. Thnis is so shady. Sigh....

And its my impression sadly, too. Andn later on saying, it was discussed with MAs....like 0.003% of them....<_<

Oh no, its not a "feels like" thing but more of an out right "we have been backstabbed".

I think it really just depends on how you view what they are doing and their reasons for it. Basically you and I are just weighing things out differently. Where as I see not being able to delete mods as just a minor inconvenience for the greater good, you and some others see it as a massive problem.

Oh no, its not a "feels like" thing but more of an out right "we have been backstabbed".

I think it really just depends on how you view what they are doing and their reasons for it. Basically you and I are just weighing things out differently. Where as I see not being able to delete mods as just a minor inconvenience for the greater good, you and some others see it as a massive problem.

Okay, I'll put it simply

>Be 2017

>ModDorp does a collections system

>Skyrim Modders become upset with this

>ModDorp Decided to stop collections, at least for Skyrim

>ModDorp Apologizes

>Nexus Staff explains that they thought about doing the same thing, decided to drop it because of "version control and the rights we grant..."

>be 2021

>Nexus does ModDorp Collections.

>Nexus lessens our rights.

Does that help you understand at all?

Edited by CrashRakashe

Okay, I'll put it simply

>Be 2017

>ModDorp does a collections system

>Skyrim Modders become upset with this

>ModDorp Decided to stop collections, at least for Skyrim

>ModDorp Apologizes

>Nexus Staff explains that they thought about doing the same thing, decided to drop it because of "version control and the rights we grant..."

>be 2021

>Nexus does ModDorp Collections.

>Nexus lessens our rights.

Does that help you understand at all?

Trust me, I understand it perfectly. It's still a matter of how you view it though. For example, mod drop doing collections also wasn't really a big deal to me, the part that bothered me a bit was the uploading and redistribution of mods on another server/platform without permission to do so. I have never had a problem with the idea of collections in general and even supported it back then. To be frank, I am pretty happy Nexus decided to change their mind as it's something I have always wanted for this community. I have seen how well such things work for other games, and have always been disappointed in the BGS modding community for pushing back so hard against it.

I am not kidding, you can even find comments from me 4 years ago on that subreddit where Dark0ne explains why they have not done collections. I will always be a supporter of such a system because it works well.

Something I have always found interesting is how those who make mod managers (making modding easier through tools) all seem to be a supporter of collections which also make modding easier. They get it, because they understand how important ease of use typically is and how positive of a change it can be in a community. I am also a big supporter to the cathedral view, if you couldn't tell by now. Funnily enough, I didn't even know about the term till recently. But ended up coming across that article by Wrye and ... ya ... they get it.

too many people here who do not try to understand!

so why are they posting here if they are obviously not interested to understand ?

nobody needs answers or advices from people who have no clue and are not willing to add valuable content.

or is this a post-bombing thread ? has anyone invited toxic or clueless people to permanently spread their meaningless content here or to bring our ignore lists to its limits ?

Are these people intellectually so limited or egoistic that they are unable to stop their actions here?

Please do not quote these people! any discussion with them is a waste of time. pages over pages and no topic related meaningful content at all. just a neverending turning in circles, an endless loop of non relevant justifications, containing pure egoistic nonsense.