Trying to understand

MajorCyco

6. It increases the possibility of your mod being noticed as it may end up being included in a collection which may lead to many users learning about your mod where as before it was under the radar. There are tons of amazing mods that just sometimes never get the attention they deserve. Collections just add another layer that can create a great opportunity for such cases.

No, it increases the possibility that the user doesn't even know they're using that mod, since they installed a Collection based on its overall hype and didn't even bother to read which mods are included before pressing their one-button-install. Given that many users don't even bother to read a mod's description, comments section, bug reports, or readme files before installing (and then complaining to the author that it's "broken"), I give this a very high probability.

This here is such a good point.

I just saw the other day someone saying in the USSEP comment section that USSEP breaks Alternative Start.....

Collections just mean people know even lesser from whom they have mods. They never need to go on the mod page, and they won't. Because they will install a list, and when they like something in game, they wouldnt even know which mod makes that.

So many points from people here that are pro "take away deletion" for the "greater good" seriously dont see how many holes their arguments actually have. But we are the ones that search for negatives.....sigh....

-_-

I have maybe around five really good FO4 mods that I use that add new objects to the settlement menus. They're all different, all quality stuff, and all in separate menus.

But once I place them in the game, for the most part I couldn't for the life of me tell you which objects came from which mods without going back and looking. And that's with me having intentionally chosen that handful of mods for what they add, and with them being in separate menus in the settlement menus.

I don't expect some "average modder" with a 200-mod Collections list to have any clue what part of their game play came from which mod. Especially if the collection has a couple dozen mods that all add in new guns or something like that.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, legally unless the game company states you can mod a game (like Bethesda does), you don't have the legal right to do so, because you are making a derivative work without the copyright holder's permission.

Some game studios are happy to look the other way. Others are not, and request that mods be taken down when they find them. In neither case does it give anyone the legal right to distribute copies.

If the mod is owned by the mod author (as licensed for derivative work by the game studio) then you are violating the mod author's copyright by distributing the mod. If the author did not have a license to make a derivative work, then you are violating the original game studio's copyright by distributing the mod.

I figured it was implied we are talking about modding games where the company is ok with it. You are bringing up another matter entirely that I wasn't really talking about.

Also, not all companies that allow you to modify things, allow you to own the content you create. For example, I am pretty sure Maplestory 2, any user generated content couldn't be owned by the author of that content. Once uploading it, it was like you pretty much giving up your ownership of it and saying Nexon can do whatever they want with it. And btw ... Nexon directly made money off of that content, and gave the creators of that work in game currency. It was like a free DLC factory for them. Though, he game didn't really do all that well in NA, so they shut it down or something. Think about a year or two ago.

giphy.gif

You don't need to announce literally anytime you block a person. >.> or anytime you agree with post like ^^ THIS. You literally provide nothing to this conversation accept for one word lines of agreement or gif memes. And the sad thing is it doesn't even matter when you do the whole blocked thing because you still respond to people you block. Way too often I might add.

All you quoting ownership terms of use and such I too can do that if you want to go this way on the discussion.

By submitting content to our services, you are granting an infinite, non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license for Nexus Mods to store, distribute, copy or reproduce, edit, translate, reformat, publicly display, or perform the submitted content, at our discretion.

Interesting that someone who has already admitted to multiple account violations and claimed they didn't know that was against the rules is suddenly and specifically able to quote an irrelevant clause to the issue of our ownership of our files.

@gruffy that person (front) is a brand new today profile. Do not waste your time responding to someone who has never contributed to the community nor has been around to know anything

All you quoting ownership terms of use and such I too can do that if you want to go this way on the discussion.

By submitting content to our services, you are granting an infinite, non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license for Nexus Mods to store, distribute, copy or reproduce, edit, translate, reformat, publicly display, or perform the submitted content, at our discretion.

Interesting that someone who has already admitted to multiple account violations and claimed they didn't know that was against the rules is suddenly and specifically able to quote an irrelevant clause to the issue of our ownership of our files.

Because like it has been mentioned before, this argument of mod creator rights vs nexus has been repeated to a nauseating effect. So it's not hard to know that clause exists since it's been brought up so many times in this and other threads. But hey, I'm the new guy on the block I never read anything or know anything based on what the "veterans" say.

giphy.gif

You don't need to announce literally anytime you block a person. >.> or anytime you agree with post like ^^ THIS. You literally provide nothing to this conversation accept for one word lines of agreement or gif memes. And the sad thing is it doesn't even matter when you do the whole blocked thing because you still respond to people you block. Way too often I might add.

I really disagree with this take. Bad take imho.

I really disagree with this take. Bad take imho.

I don't care if you think it's a bad take. Doing stuff like that is pointless. It's usually done just to troll people, and try and irritate them. It's a tactic to rile people up. Do you think I should start posting one line posts anytime I agree with Showler? Or post gifs anytime I think someone makes a good point?

What is this 4chan?

Edit: Is 112 pages not long enough for you? You also want it filled with gifs and senseless one word posts?

If you were actually here for more than a minute, you'd have seen the endless threads on this very topic.

You are not adding anything, you are rehashing what has been gone over ad nauseum over and over before.

Do all of us a favor, and go read the past threads. I'm sick of having to provide the same links over and over to people who don't know the history, haven't done the research, and refuse to accept what's documented fact.

I know it's nothing new. It's just that people started bringing up terms of use and eulas to prove their point on ownership once again like always and then the same reply (as always was used) once you upload it here you allow nexus to do what it wants with it. It might not have been enforced before, but it will be now. If you don't want the same things repeated over and over tell the guys bringing it up again and again to stop it.

*sigh*

Okay, one more time, for the last time.

Licensed rights are not the same as ownership. They have nothing to do with ownership. You can't give away ownership through licensing.

Responding to verifiable fact that mods are owned by the mod author (and if done under license protected by copyright as derivative works) (in a discussion where multiple people are claiming otherwise) with the fact that NexusMods is stating anyone using the site grants NexusMods a license is responding to a discussion about fish with a post about lemons. Sure, you can draw a link between the two, but you're really talking about two very different things.

Until last month everyone "knew" because it had been said officially for years that the Nexus respected author's rights and the author's choice to post or remove their work, despite what the "boilerplate" (as some called it) in the ToS said. That ToS, and the 180 degree turnaround in policy to start enforcing it, is part of the problem because it claims all six rights granted to a copyright holder, eternally, and that wasn't policy until last month regardless of what the ToS said.

Think what you will about the topic. The facts are out there if you want them. As a poet said, I can't make you want the truth, it's up to you.