Trying to understand

MajorCyco

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a mod user. I am a mod author. As a mod author, hating mod users would be evidence of me having a mental condition. Since I am reasonably sane at age 74, you can safely assume I do not hate myself or any other mod user. And I am not alone. Being both a mod user and mod author is true for virtually every mod author on Nexus Mods. Consequently, an author does not remove his mods because he hates users. Like me, there are a few users an author may hate, but that list is very short when compared to the thousands of users who download our mods.

I have removed my mods. I find the behavior or Robin Scott and Nexus Mods reprehensible. Robin has taken my Intellectual Property, and he is retaining it against my wishes. A friend of mine summed it up in an editorial comment in PCMagazine:

"The characterization of the anger of authors being simply about their inability to delete their mods is misleading. A good number of authors are angry because the changes to the ToS and Software which allowed Nexus Mods to archive their Intellectual Property were done in secret. Authors were not informed of the changes until they were a fait accompli.

"Robin Scott, the owner of Nexus Mods, claims that he has a contract with mod authors via his ToS, and his business can no longer tolerate authors deleting their content. What Robin does not tell you is that prior to this change, the way mod authors exited their contract with Nexus was by deleting their content. With this change, Robin has trapped mod authors content on his site and effectively taken ownership of the mod authors Intellectual Property. He has offered no easy route out of the contract\ and no course for remediation other than going, hat in hand, to Robin and pleading for his blessing".

I would add that the removal of the ability of authors to delete their Intellectual Property was also implemented in secret. We were not told about this until well after Robin began archiving our Mods.

I would also like to add that the phrase "If you don't like the way things are, take your mods and leave" was heard often in the MA forums. Disgruntled Authors were encouraged to delete their mods and go away. This path to the exit has now been barred to Authors. We can leave, but we cannot take our mods with us.

So, it is not "Us vs Them". It Mod Authors' Rights Vs Robin Scott and Nexus Mods.

I am a mod user. I am a mod author. As a mod author, hating mod users would be evidence of me having a mental condition. Since I am reasonably sane at age 74, you can safely assume I do not hate myself or any other mod user. And I am not alone. Being both a mod user and mod author is true for virtually every mod author on Nexus Mods. Consequently, an author does not remove his mods because he hates users. Like me, there are a few users an author may hate, but that list is very short when compared to the thousands of users who download our mods.

I have removed my mods. I find the behavior or Robin Scott and Nexus Mods reprehensible. Robin has taken my Intellectual Property, and he is retaining it against my wishes. A friend of mine summed it up in an editorial comment in PCMagazine:

"The characterization of the anger of authors being simply about their inability to delete their mods is misleading. A good number of authors are angry because the changes to the ToS and Software which allowed Nexus Mods to archive their Intellectual Property were done in secret. Authors were not informed of the changes until they were a fait accompli.

"Robin Scott, the owner of Nexus Mods, claims that he has a contract with mod authors via his ToS, and his business can no longer tolerate authors deleting their content. What Robin does not tell you is that prior to this change, the way mod authors exited their contract with Nexus was by deleting their content. With this change, Robin has trapped mod authors content on his site and effectively taken ownership of the mod authors Intellectual Property. He has offered no easy route out of the contract\ and no course for remediation other than going, hat in hand, to Robin and pleading for his blessing".

I would add that the removal of the ability of authors to delete their Intellectual Property was also implemented in secret. We were not told about this until well after Robin began archiving our Mods.

I would also like to add that the phrase "If you don't like the way things are, take your mods and leave" was heard often in the MA forums. Disgruntled Authors were encouraged to delete their mods and go away. This path to the exit has now been barred to Authors. We can leave, but we cannot take our mods with us.

So, it is not "Us vs Them". It Mod Authors' Rights Vs Robin Scott and Nexus Mods.

In earnest do you feel you need more time to remove your mods from the website since you don't agree with its policy?

Or what is the issue?

They could literally come out and say "All your mods belong to us when you upload", that is what most places do.

They explained if you want to block remove your mod from your mod page from being downloaded you can!!!

But mod collections that rely specifically on that file (through backend api) will still have access to archived version.

So the collection doesn't break.

Edited by TexMex477

They explained if you want to block remove your mod from your mod page from being downloaded you can!!!

But mod collections that rely specifically on that file (through backend api) will still have access to archived version.

Wow, you should stop arguing now, you're so wrong it's painful, naive, and completely uninformed.

Just stop now.

Wow, you should stop arguing now, you're so wrong it's painful, naive, and completely uninformed.

Just stop now.

Then come join me in Nexus discord voice chat ... for so many people not one in discord its weird..

For so many WW2 Veterans and System Engineers there is lot of shy people..

Edited by TexMex477

<TERMINATED>

Please stop quoting this troll. Most everybody else has blocked them. Clearly they are desperately seeking to be relevant and failing miserably.

Yea I blocked him too, I forgot that it automatically shows to everybody else.

I doubt I'll respond to him anymore anyway, he has no clue what he's talking about, as far as this situation goes anyway.

So, I'll go back and edit the posts where a previously quoted him as well, no point letting that nonsense be seen.