Trying to understand

MajorCyco

And any mods uploaded in the future. Including lists....... Wonder how that's gonna work out. :D You can't delete your broken list, you can only archive it.......

But, after a couple weeks of watching all this, nothing is going to change. Not enough folks are pulling their work to even make a blip on Nexus radar. Therefore, they have no motivation at all to alter course. They will simply wait for the deadline to pass, and the furor to die down, (which it will) and be on their merry way. At that point, they can simply shut down any further debate, as the deadline has passed.... no reason to allow it any more, everyone that is still here, is locked in.

It IS all about the money. Now, is it something that is going to be long term? Or, is Nexus gonna sell, and Robin then retire? Were I in his position, that would be REAL tempting.....

Oh things are changing but it won't have any effect on the dollar sign starry eyes. I'm so sick over this that I damn sure won't upload my mods anywhere ever again. I most likely will not even mod for myself. I've had a lot of fun and met a lot of great people here through the years, some mod authors, some screenshooters and videomakers, some mod users. Hell, I met my husband here and I'm forever thankful to Robin for the site for that reason. I am not thankful for the "Screw you, got mine" ultimatum we've been handed. Pretty glad we didn't send him a wedding invitation now :confused:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be curious why it's not so easy.

Look @ my profile. I think that should explain it :wink:

You mean...

the original mod authors do not permit an upload on other platforms I cannot provide downloads anywhere else. This would violate the ToS of Nexus Mods and make myself liable to prosecution.

I'd say that you might wish to check if there are explicit permissions granted by the original authors instead of those Nexus checkboxes. Explicit permissions always take precedence.

You might also consider asking mod authors for a permission to host your derivative work outside of Nexusmods. In my experience, 99% of mod authors will grant you permission.

For some of the mods I have received the right to do with them whatever I want. But not for all. Many of the mod authors are gone and i can't contact them. Apart from that, I do not necessarily want to move to moddb or one of the other known pages, I don't like most of them. Most likely i would create my own webpage and host them there. But it feels like that' it's not worth the effort.

Setting up your own website is not overly difficult if you're willing to deal with doing it on a shared host. It gets a bit more complicated to go the route I did with a self administered linux setup on Linode because then you have to know how to keep the underlying webserver and database server happy along with the software package you're using to handle the site itself.

Fortunately I have enough experience in the area to keep my own site up so I guess I'm a step ahead of a lot of other people here.

And you still won't be forced into supporting an older version. The curator will need to provide support.

Are you really so naive as to expect this is actually what will happen and NOT that curators will pass those requests on to the people who did the actual work?

Setting up your own website is not overly difficult if you're willing to deal with doing it on a shared host. It gets a bit more complicated to go the route I did with a self administered linux setup on Linode because then you have to know how to keep the underlying webserver and database server happy along with the software package you're using to handle the site itself.

Fortunately I have enough experience in the area to keep my own site up so I guess I'm a step ahead of a lot of other people here.

From a professional point of view, it would be no problem to set up my own website. I have many years of experience as a system administrator. But as i said before i think it's not worth the effort. Especially when I consider some of the comments made by Nexus members towards mod authors

My experience with Mod Packs and the like over the years has been limited to steam forums, reddit posts, and mod authors comment sections and they've all said the exact same thing. BEWARE!!! I've only ever seen horror stories surrounding them which range from "completely doesn't work" "My saves are broken" "my game is broken" with troubleshooting tips that ALL start out with the words "Disable half your mods and keep adding until the problem reappears and you'll know where to begin" At that point...the game begins, the research begins, the nagging questions begin, the frustration begins, the mod accusations begin, the "Your mod is broke" "That ain't MY mod you illiterate mongrel!" begins. "My 4g of ram doesn't handle what your 6g of ram doesn't handle what your 8g of ram doesn't handle what your 16g of ram handles equally." "And my onboard graphics don't handle what your Platanium Quadriplexicored 4460 juice box cooled adding machine does."

I have no idea why the R n D department around here said "Alright guys, for the next 2 years, THATS what we're going to focus on!" LOL

I get that everyone wants to put food on the table now days, but what do I know? I'm not even all that smart lol.

IN MY.....not so very enlightened...OPINION If you got an issue with it, delete all your mods before the first of the month, upload the stuff your comfortable with, completely finished mods etc.. after the deadline. Then call it good and quit whining. I highly doubt this is going to become "THE NEXT BIG THING!" LOL

now if ya'll will excuuuuse me, i gotta go back to binge downloading before all the good stuff is gone.

This subforum is actually much better than GMAD because it's indexable by search engines and provides a discussion for both mod authors and users.

For example, here's the opinion of a user that it's well echoed at the /r/skyrimmods subreddit:

This thread sickens me. I've enjoyed Skyrim more because of mods. Now mod authors are claiming Art and Intellectual Property rights that likely do not exist. You might as well have released these to the public domain.

Art? When you get a wall at the DMA you let me know. IP? Mods are glorified mix tapes. Good luck selling that in court.

As far as Nexusmods goes, I suspect they are within their rights to make sure mods remain accessible. Twitter? Yeah, they own your tweets. Facebook? Yup, they own your posts. Do not expect Nexusmods to self-immolate to assuage your fragile egos.

This is based on a /r/skyrimmods favorite theory, that mods are expendable and easily replaceable. So when mods get deleted, they should be quickly replaced. It's a theory that cannot be immediately dismissed, but so far it cannot be proved because

1) Mod piracy exists because there are no alternatives

2) We'd at least expect that someone at /r/skyrimmods would replicate some of Arthmoor's work, considering the hate of this particular group against Arthmoor. Again nobody does. They'd rather post torrents of his work.

Setting this unproven theory aside, I'd like to point out that it's troubling that this particular group is the staunchest proponent of the latest Nexusmods changes. It used to be that users against mod author's rights were also against Nexusmods, now it's actually the reverse.

It remains to be seen how Nexusmods will be dealing with the scene in the months to come. I guess Robin Scott will raise his prices, to increase the rewards for loyal mod authors. As long as there's no alternative (and I remember how much he worked against paid modding alternatives), it's going to be a strong incentive for mod authors to stay here. This is an acceptable reality but make no mistake: Once paid modding becomes an alternative again (and no amount of hypocrisy could oppose it anymore) those who are sick of the abuse of their rights will turn to paid modding. And users will be happy to know exactly how much of their money goes to the author instead of an un-audited rewards scheme.

As for that /r/skyrimmods user, we can at least have the satisfaction that after losing the arguments and declaring defeat:

[insert several quotes from disgruntled MAs]

I don't care.

He'll be paying his Nexus dues for convenience.

This change really does screw over the paying members of the nexus. I wish I hadn't paid for the lifetime membership now. That's like purchasing a satellite radio package only to learn that XM is being discontinued. Sounds like the only way to convince them otherwise would be a lawsuit.

This change really does screw over the paying members of the nexus. I wish I hadn't paid for the lifetime membership now. That's like purchasing a satellite radio package only to learn that XM is being discontinued. Sounds like the only way to convince them otherwise would be a lawsuit.

At this point that is what it will come down to. They will wave the TOS and users will wave the laws from where they come from or international law vs the UK laws they are going to try and hide behind. Speically if folks point out they updated the TOS and updated the new system without prior announcement that literally say any previous agreement is null and void cause they say so for all previous agreements.

From a professional point of view, it would be no problem to set up my own website. I have many years of experience as a system administrator. But as i said before i think it's not worth the effort. Especially when I consider some of the comments made by Nexus members towards mod authors

No reason to overcomplicate things and spend a lot of time developing a website (unless you want to), there's WordPress which you can use to get a website up in like 5 minutes. There's even forum plugins for it, so it has pretty much all you need for a mod webpage.

No reason to overcomplicate things and spend a lot of time developing a website (unless you want to), there's WordPress which you can use to get a website up in like 5 minutes. There's even forum plugins for it, so it has pretty much all you need for a mod webpage.

I know all of that. Still, there is a lot more to it. You have to find a provider, choose a software package and pay for a domain. Why should I do this to myself? Just to keep dealing with ungrateful users?

ÃÂ

I know all of that. Still, there is a lot more to it. You have to find a provider, choose a software package and pay for a domain. Why should I do this to myself? Just to keep dealing with ungrateful users?
Something to keep in mind is it's very easy to get onto a viewpoint that is warped by the vocal minority.

Most users who enjoy your work won't tell you that simple fact. Most users who have problems with it are only too willing to tell you and everyone else that it stinks (of course their problems couldn't possibly be of their own making).

That said my experience helping others with their mod troubles over the decade before I uploaded any of my mods had me firmly in the camp you now find yourself in. For most mods I needed to research through the mod comments looking for a starting place for my troubleshooting.

That exposed me to too many of the worst the world has to offer which soured me to the thought of uploading anything I had worked on myself. It's taken years to gain insight into the actual balance of the modder/mod user equation.

The latest events here just tipped the balance back to it's old setting.