Trying to understand

MajorCyco

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Due to the nebulous nature of the Internet, it is best to have mods on as many modding hosts as possible."

From an information availability standpoint I can't agree more, probably half of my mods come from offsite. Also if you're really into modding you're probably really into searching and know how to do that expediently. So, a one stop shop isn't really a big deal. There is a ton of information in these comment sections though, its nice to have that all in one spot. Generally speaking a lot of people are pretty helpful too, even if its with issues not directly related to their specific mod. In some instances the community of knowledge built here is more valuable than having the file immediately handy. I now realize i can build some of these files myself, got that from the comments section lol.

maybe for you. if game stability is important i recommend to install all mods individually and read the mpd page and post. this will save you some headache. i download my mods and install them offline. installing more than one mod is always a problem if you seriously want to track issues or instabilities. a mod organizer like mo2 or vortex is mandatoy. but all this is "offtopic" here

IIRC, the reason that Archive.org is able to do what it's doing is because they're officially recognized by the IRS as a non-profit, so they have grounds to claim that it's fair use. Don't quote me on that, because I'm not 100% sure. I just know that there's a loophole that lets them do what they're doing.

That's not what fair use means. Rather than try to explain it here, I'd suggest you search it.

Also, profit motive has nothing to do with whether IP law has been violated.

Well dang, he said don't quote me on that but you did it anyways....just haaad to row that boat. Splash splash splash, making waves making waves....thats a little wet humor.

My example of the wayback archive was just that, the biggest most obviously over exaggerated example of a little something that ALL websites do in some fashion every day. They wanted THE ENTIRE INTERNET.....but all websites need data storage or they can't run, its how the internet works. As far as who owns what online thats been in contention since the beginning but here in the US legitimate copyright claims can be resolved with a simple search. At first glance the process for a DMCA claim doesn't seem very daunting at all, you don't even need a fancy lawyer for it. but DONT QUOTE ME ON THAT! lol

"Due to the nebulous nature of the Internet, it is best to have mods on as many modding hosts as possible."

From an information availability standpoint I can't agree more, probably half of my mods come from offsite. Also if you're really into modding you're probably really into searching and know how to do that expediently. So, a one stop shop isn't really a big deal. There is a ton of information in these comment sections though, its nice to have that all in one spot. Generally speaking a lot of people are pretty helpful too, even if its with issues not directly related to their specific mod. In some instances the community of knowledge built here is more valuable than having the file immediately handy. I now realize i can build some of these files myself, got that from the comments section lol.

maybe for you. if game stability is important i recommend to install all mods individually and read the mpd page and post. this will save you some headache. i download my mods and install them offline. installing more than one mod is always a problem if you seriously want to track issues or instabilities. a mod organizer like mo2 or vortex is mandatoy. but all this is "offtopic" here

I 100% agree with you, but aren't I supposed to be on your ignore list? LOL Its ok I enjoy your company. *HighFive*

I 100% agree with you, but aren't I supposed to be on your ignore list? LOL Its ok I enjoy your company. *HighFive*

I just wonder who they argue with, if anyone at one point is on their ignore list?

But then I guess I don't fully understand the value of these proposed collections, anyway. Modding is something we do to customize our gaming experience per our own tastes and interests. Installing a pre-packaged, pre-configured collection someone else created is antithesis to personalized customization. Curators might try to be flexible by offering a variety of different variants of collections - but that would require users to read a lot of information to select which one they'd prefer which may require more effort than they're willing to expend.

It'll be really interesting to see how this collections experiment pans out. I suspect it's going to be really problematic, and Nexus may regret the trust they lost with MAs to accommodate it.

Nexus Mods is going for the one click download and install crowd. You know, the ones that can't be bothered to even read the mod description page or ReadMe. But, this will only work with Vortex and premium (paid) membership. They are not interested in the mod user that downloads and installs one mod at a time. They want the paid premium members, the more the merrier.

Personally, I have absolutely no interest in a collection someone puts together. I will do my own, thank you. The cheap members (me) will still be able to download the remaining mods one at a time.

To be fair, I've spend the last 3-4 weeks building my FO4 modlist, and I'm far from finishing it.

I'd appreciate a one-click solution, and only if I could use it as personal collection. Steam Workshop does have that feature.

But then I guess I don't fully understand the value of these proposed collections, anyway. Modding is something we do to customize our gaming experience per our own tastes and interests. Installing a pre-packaged, pre-configured collection someone else created is antithesis to personalized customization.

Well see, the problem is you are trying to apply your own feelings onto everyone else in the world. Personally creating a custom list of individually chosen mods is NOT what everyone wants.

Take for instance someone who has just bought Fallout 4 (oh noes, he mentioned a Bethesda game again). They might go online and see that there are unofficial patches and stability mods and graphic upgrades and mods to make modern FPS game elements more like other modern FPS games. So they might go looking for a Collection that fixes and updates the game to 2021 standards without changing the core elements of the game itself. A Collection that gets them playing quickly even though they don't know much about the game yet.

Or someone who's played the game before and wants a new experience. Maybe wants to be surprised and challenged with a hardcore survival experience or a Nuclear Winter run through. Collections would allow them to install a well rated setup, try it to have that new experience and, if they don't like it, wipe the whole thing and try something different quickly.

And, if we're lucky, some of the new people will get the bug and become the next generation of modders.

IIRC, the reason that Archive.org is able to do what it's doing is because they're officially recognized by the IRS as a non-profit, so they have grounds to claim that it's fair use. Don't quote me on that, because I'm not 100% sure. I just know that there's a loophole that lets them do what they're doing.

I've already posted the links on myths about copyright, they include some about why Fair Use doesn't apply in this situation. Not specific to archive.org, but in general. Last I checked there is no loophole that allows them to violate copyright at will.

But then I guess I don't fully understand the value of these proposed collections, anyway. Modding is something we do to customize our gaming experience per our own tastes and interests. Installing a pre-packaged, pre-configured collection someone else created is antithesis to personalized customization. Curators might try to be flexible by offering a variety of different variants of collections - but that would require users to read a lot of information to select which one they'd prefer which may require more effort than they're willing to expend.

It'll be really interesting to see how this collections experiment pans out. I suspect it's going to be really problematic, and Nexus may regret the trust they lost with MAs to accommodate it.

Nexus Mods is going for the one click download and install crowd. You know, the ones that can't be bothered to even read the mod description page or ReadMe.

Sure. The same users who will never visit the mod author's page, offer any feedback or click to endorse.

That's exactly the kind of users these collections will invite.

Take for instance someone who has just bought Fallout 4 (oh noes, he mentioned a Bethesda game again). They might go online and see that there are unofficial patches and stability mods and graphic upgrades and mods to make modern FPS game elements more like other modern FPS games. So they might go looking for a Collection that fixes and updates the game to 2021 standards without changing the core elements of the game itself. A Collection that gets them playing quickly even though they don't know much about the game yet.

I'm aware, though I'm not sure why you feel the need to be snotty.

People who play a modded game without ever having played the vanilla aren't likely to even recognize, let alone appreciate, the differences added by the mods. And when they're all added at once, they won't know which individual mod is responsible for what content in their game.