Trying to understand

MajorCyco

Edit: I get where you are coming from. By learning how to create mod load orders via trial and error, in theory people will gain a skill.

I still think its worth creating a tool to make that easier. After all, one could still learn how load orders work, and not everyone out there necessarily has the time to put into learning these things. That's my two cents, anyways. I'm probably a little biased because I sitll remember struggling to figure out my own load orders, and not finding anything helpful for that.

Nobody has to learn to build a car to drive a car. It's perfectly possible to make things as easy as possible in order to widen your audience.

"Gatekeeping" people by constantly telling them that they need to learn to use xEdit to use more than ten mods (for Bethesda games) is neither needed nor desirabe.

Makes sense.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@showler

It's good if drivers know how to at least change a flat tire or add wiper-fluid etc.

I'm not against the collections, but providing support for these one-click users will be more difficult, because they won't understand any of the instructions you give them.

@showler

It's good if drivers know how to at least change a flat tire or add wiper-fluid etc.

I'm not against the collections, but providing support for these one-click users will be more difficult, because they won't understand any of the instructions you give them.

First, you won't be giving support.

Second, you are making assumptions based on your prejudiced view of people who use Collections. I'm likely to be a Collection user and I have been modding since Morrowind. I know what I'm doing...I just don't want to waste my time doing it if there is an easier alternative.

I've mentioned before that there will likely be Collections for people who only want to push that Collection button and do nothing else, and that will restrict the kind of mods that can be in that Collection, and there will be Collections for people willing to do some work who simply don't want to curate their own collection of mods. Why spend a month looking through categories when you just want to play?

Also: AAA is a thing if you don't want to change your own tires.

@showler

Maybe, maybe not.

In any case, I will likely be making a video about this situation, so if anyone has any ideas about how to fix this clusterf*#@, feel free to pm me or respond to this thread.

There is no fix. Robin made it clear in the original post. If this move is unacceptable to mod authors, then their goals and Nexus' goals have diverged and it is no longer mutually beneficial for them to work together.

Yeah, I read that part of the article. It doesn't mean I don't think they're full of it. MO2, although a little complicated, is proof that it is possible at least to create a tool to handle organizing load orders and fixing mod conflicts automatically without angering and violating boundaries of mod authors by preventing people from deleting their content.

I've heard someone say that all of this is justified because when you upload something on the internet, you should be prepared for people to do what they want with your content. I don't agree. It is one thing to not be able to completely stop people from using mod files on their platform in ways that the creator(s) don't like. Its another entirely to not only purposely create a tool that would encourage people to do that, but also allow those people to make money from doing so.

Do you think it is fair to say that as it is right now, the collection system would be likely to benefit mod authors the least?

Edit: Also, wtf was up with that Chrome vs Firefox analogy? Has anyone ever heard a mod author say that they give any f*#@ at all about what browser people use to download their mods? On the other hadn, it is abundantly clear that many authors have made it staunchly clear that they care very much if their mods are put in collections.

Wait a minute.....

What if collections basically became collaborations between mod authors?

Edited by KamariBVB

@all on the last pages - question: are you really trying to understand ? to me it doesn`t seem so for some.

@showler - don't you think you repeated your content as the "official" speaker for nexusmods often enough ?

nexusmods changed yesterday the conditions for file deletions during the ultimatum. so why are you so sure that we see not more changes or corrections for the better ?

would be good for the whole community.

Also: AAA is a thing if you don't want to change your own tires.

:rolleyes: AAA is a paid service. So, I am happy to help folks with their mod sorting....for money :laugh:

Yeah, I read that part of the article. It doesn't mean I don't think they're full of it. MO2, although a little complicated, is proof that it is possible at least to create a tool to handle organizing load orders and fixing mod conflicts automatically without angering and violating boundaries of mod authors by preventing people from deleting their content.

I've heard someone say that all of this is justified because when you upload something on the internet, you should be prepared for people to do what they want with your content. I don't agree. It is one thing to not be able to completely stop people from using mod files on their platform in ways that the creator(s) don't like. Its another entirely to not only purposely create a tool that would encourage people to do that, but also allow those people to make money from doing so.

Do you think it is fair to say that as it is right now, the collection system would be likely to benefit mod authors the least?

MO2 doesn't do a quarter of what Collections will do. Also, just for the record, the person who created MO is now the developer of Vortex for the Nexus.

The removal of deletions is to create reliable Collections that are not vulnerable to the removal of needed files whenever a mod author feels like it. This is something that does not currently exist with any other Collection like option. Wabbajack, ModDrop...even basic lists are vulnerable to removed mods.

I'm not sure if they've even decided if Curators will be able to earn money, but it will be a very small amount compared to what will go to the authors of the mod on the list. If the Collection contained 99 mods, at best the curator would get 1/100th of the DP (assuming everyone is opted in for DP).

It will probably benefit mod authors the least because the greatest benefit is intended for the mod users. Mod authors and Nexus will benefit from increased membership and Premium payments.

@all on the last pages - question: are you really trying to understand ? to me it doesn`t seem so

@showler - don't you think you repeated your content as the "official" speaker for nexusmods often enoughPa

Partially. Mostly I'm just trying to come to the rescue of a community that I love. As much as I won't blame mod authors from removing their mods here, I really, really really, really don't want to see some fantastic mods be removed from the internet forever. And as someone who has put a lot of effort for years now to learn how to make the best mod I can, I would like to have a place to post my mod when I am finished that will actually reach people.

I can see where they are coming from, a little bit. Essentially what I have gathered from the announcement is that their official position is they have found themselves in the position of needing to become more profitable for their own sake as well as the rest of ours. Its reasonable to want to make a living from your job, after all. I am still interested in finding out if mod authors would be interested in creating collections themselves with their own mods. That might be the best course of action here, that doesn't put mod authors in the position of having to choose between losing control of the content they created and having that control, but potentially access to an audience a fraction of the size it would be otherwise.

Also, I would appreciate it if you wouldn't go after Showler. Given that many of his comments in the last few pages have been in response to me.

Edited by KamariBVB