Trying to understand

MajorCyco

T

Â

i have to asknnexusmods, are you not aware of the actions of continually locking down threads around this topic and their consequences? you fuel all the disinformation with every thread you lock.

just let people communicate and if you see trolling or tos breakage remove the threads. locking stuff down while the topic is still very relevant is a confusing stance.

This thread isn't locked.
your intellect is quite simply stunning.

Can we please stay civil to each other - I didnât link to anywhere, neither did you. And zanderat simply was confused, as he probably isnât aware of the other thread. I know we are all exhausted and explosive. I can get salty as well towards people, in exhaustion. So I understand it.

Thanks @LeelooMinai.

Correct. I haven't seen the other thread. However, moderators here have always had the policy of closing redundant threads and pointing people to the "main thread". This seems to be the case here. If they were truly trying to shut down conversation, then as I said, this thread would have been closed too.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this thread isnât so easy to be closed - because itâs not a question to admins. So I am unsure this applies here. <_<

That said - please be aware that the small print of the new form explicitly states, that if you use this option of deleting your mods, you 100% agree to this:

âthe 5 August 2021 deadline no longer applies to me and I accept any remaining files will be used as detailed in the Terms of Service.â

Which means you grant them 100% control over your creative content and all content you are about to publish. So you canât say anymore, you didnât agree to anything knowingly.

Please people be aware of that.

I think this thread isnât so easy to be closed - because itâs not a question to admins. So I am unsure this applies here. <_<

That said - please be aware that the small print of the new form explicitly states, that if you use this option of deleting your mods, you 100% agree to this:

âthe 5 August 2021 deadline no longer applies to me and I accept any remaining files will be used as detailed in the Terms of Service.â

Which means you grant them 100% control over your creative content and all content you are about to publish. So you canât say anymore, you didnât agree to anything knowingly.

Picky did specifically mention that would be a requirement of the selective deletion option when he first said they were considering it.

At a guess, I'd say they want to make sure they only deal with the problem once, whether you want everything removed or only some items removed you only get to put in the one request.

There's something I don't really understand about the functionality. It's no the opt-out (thought don't really understand why mods aren't being given an opt out either but that really isn't the main problem that I see).

Well that's pretty obvious. If modders with "important" mods (let's say more downloaded, mods/tools that other mods depend on) opt out, modlist curators won't want to make collections. Or less "atractive" collections. Less interest, less downlooads, less premium accounts.

It would be logic -and right- to give authors opt out option, but they are not gonna risk their project because of them.

Hopefully by elsewhere you aren't referring to modding but Nexusmods.

I'm referring to hosting my junk elsewhere. Preferably on my own website.

I just can't be arsed to do anything at the moment, so for now I've simply made a public folder in my cloud storage and plastered the link in my profile.

Just because someone says something doesn't make it so.. You might ask for 1 out of 5 of your mods to be deleted today, and then on Aug 6th decide you want 2 more deleted. Nexusmods is saying that they are bound by what you agreed to in the fine print and they might even be saying that you are bound to it, as well. You aren't, and neither are they. To be legally bound by something it must be a legally binding agreement. As a matter of policy they are saying this is what they are willing to do. In this instance, policy is nothing more than a statement of their intentions and how much they are willing to work with you.

My Reaction to the Announcement Post that NexusMods made:

TLDR: While I can find fault with both sides of the argument, I'm currently leaning towards supporting the mod authors who are against this change because it looks like the way the collections system will work will benefit the mod users and NexusMods the most. This isn't fair, given that modding is often no easy task but the whole point of this tool is to make creating load orders that work as easy as possible. In addition, although I could see Nexusmods making an effort to meet people halfway, they do not get kudos for allowing mod authors this opportunity for deletion because "My way or the highway" is not true consent, particularly when the enforcer has power over the enforcee and the demand they are making is essentially a choice between forfeiting control of their hard work, or potentially forfeiting access to a large audience of potential users.

That doesn't mean I think mod authors are being 10000% reasonable here. In particular, it makes no sense and is really mean to make the argument that people should have to struggle to learn how to do something that we all love just because we did .After all, we live in a world where technology is advancing at a remarkable rate, so it makes sense for someone to streamline the creation of load orders to make it as user friendly as possible.

On the other hand, I have a real issue with the fact that Nexus mods knew that mod authors put a lot of effort, time, and love into their work, and woould be against this whole archiving situation, but they implemented it anyway. Regardless of how noble their intentions, that still constitutes a violation of boundaries. Something I do not generally take lightly, especially since I do not think they are correct in thinking that it is not possible to make modding easier via the collections system AND give mod authors the option to opt out of collections.

Which brings me to the potential solution I came up with: NexusMods, you should return the control of mods back to their creators.*BUT!* In order to stlll make it easier for people to make load orders that work, NexusMOds could add tag functionality to mods on here that would tell the end user which category of a mod load order the mod would belong in. You see, somewhere on Bethesda there is a really old guide about modding SSE, and in this guide is a list of categories of mods, with loads of examples of each. It is this guide that I think this tagging system should be based on. Are there any mod authors in this thread? What do you think?

Edited by KamariBVB