Trying to understand

MajorCyco

Something I am realizing here is those who disagree with this change by Nexus don't want to go their separate ways, they just want Nexus to change their stance and essentially scrap the idea. In other words, I don't really think anything said by anyone for this change is going to matter because they already made their decision on the idea. To them it's bad, and no amount of explaining is going to change their view on that. And telling them to leave, they just take it like an insult, even if it's technically the most logical solution. They basically want it their way only.

Well, I am stumped. I am done trying. Sorry to all those who I upset during the process of trying to explain my view on this, wasn't my intent. But I am moving on now. I know that will make some of you happy lol.

Most of us don't have a problem with collections, we have a problem with the way it was implemented. Any other mod list, and any other 'collection' tool for that matter, downloads the current, up to date version of a mod, and it is up to mod list (collection) authors to keep their list up to date, and ensure it is functioning properly. Now, along comes Nexus with 'version control', and they step on mod authors, so that any collection list will 'always work'.... (assuming it works in the first place....) So, the onus goes from mod list authors keeping their mods up to date, to mod authors no longer having control of their own work.

Then there is also the WAY this was implemented. ToS changed a while back, but, it wasn't until recently that authors discovered that they couldn't delete old versions any more. An author uploaded a couple mods, discovered they weren't the ones he actually wanted to uploaded, attempted to delete them, and discovered he could not..... When he requested they be deleted, he was denied. As it turns out, that change had happened more than a week earlier, with zero notification, and no discussion with mod authors on that change beforehand either. They DID discuss it with other 'tool' makers though...... So, you can begin to see why mod authors were a bit tweaked about the whole situation.

Several alternative options were offered, nexus staff didn't discuss any of them. They offered their ultimatum instead. Everything stays, or everything goes. They later walked that back a bit, and are now allowing selective deletions.

What it boils down to at this point though is, if you upload a mod to Nexus, you are essentially handing ownership to nexus. That doesn't sit well withe some (a lot of) folks.

I am very hesitant to respond but didn't expect someone to reply with something like this. And I just want to make this correction. Curseforge does collections where it most certainly does not just download the latest version. In fact, at least for minecraft that is a good way to end up with tons of problems because Minecraft itself works in the same way where you can play any version of the game you want. So that means, if you want to play 1.7.10 of minecraft and download mods for it, you would obviously need access to the older files. Plus, those who do make collections will sometimes use a previous version of a mod if they find a newer version introduces a bug that needs fixing or if an incompatibility is found with the newer version with another mod. When a user installs a mod list, it installs the version that was selected by the curator, not the latest version.

I understand most games don't work the same way minecraft does as most people typically play on the latest version. But Minecraft is probably one of the most modded games next to something like Skyrim, and wanted to point out that out to show that no ... not all collection tools or whatever work the way you are saying. Literally the only difference between Curseforge and Nexus' method is being able to fully delete a mod. In fact, going on one of my projects on curseforge right now at this very moment ... I can't even delete older files. I can only delete the entire project. Which to be honest, I would be fine with if they allowed that here and actually think they should.

But anyway, I just really wanted to respond to this specifically to make that correction. >.> Ehh I know I am going to get crap for responding again. But whatever, felt this was pretty important to clarify.

Edit: Also, something else is all those older files are viewable by the public. You can't even hide them.

If there is a newer version of a mod, it's highly likely the older version has been archived, and thus, is not available for a direct download. If it wasn't already part of a collection, then it never will be. (as I understand it.)

Collections here are mostly aimed at beth games. Not sure how far back they plan on going with that..... (a 'collection' for a functioning FCOM install for Oblivion would likely make a LOT of people happy.....) So no, they DON'T work like minecraft, and the comparison doesn't work. That, and curseforge didn't sneak in their "You can't remove your files" thing either. As I don't play minecraft, I don't know if they allow deletions or not at this point.

In all reality, I don't even know if Nexus even HOSTS mods for minecraft. :)

But again, (and again... and again.... ad nauseum...) it isn't so much that this happened, It is HOW Nexus went about it. It wasn't discussed, it wasn't announced, mod authors were not consulted AT ALL about it. THAT is what really yanked folks chain.

And also, there are CURRENTLY 'collection' tools out there in the world that can actually handle files being deleted from a collection. It is up to the COLLECTION AUTHOR to make sure that it works, is up to date, etc. Just as it is up to mod authors to ensure that their mods are actually working. If an author uploads a mod with a bug, it is up to the author to fix it, which they usually do, fairly quickly. But now, the bugged mod can't be deleted. Any collection that refers to it, can still get it. Anyone that downloads that collection gets a collection that is broken right out of the gate.

The system as it stands now, is sub-optimal. The way it was developed was negligent in the extreme. The way it was announced was totally out of line. THAT is what folks are upset about.

Just because someone else is doing something, doesn't mean that EVERYONE should. In some cases, someone doing something should have it pointed out to them that what they are doing really isn't a good idea. Nexus collections falls into the latter category.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to understand this fixation with Minecraft. The only thing it has in common with the Bethesda franchise is they are video games. With the Bethesda games having more mods then the other 1347 games combined, they are the dominate player here. The modders of these games used to be. Your comparisons between a Beth game and Minecraft is completely irrelevant and so is your argument.

I am trying to understand this fixation with Minecraft. The only thing it has in common with the Bethesda franchise is they are video games. With the Bethesda games having more mods then the other 1347 games combined, they are the dominate player here. The modders of these games used to be. Your comparisons between a Beth game and Minecraft is completely irrelevant and so is your argument.

It's because they make mods for Minecraft and in that Community, Collections are common due to the nature (I guess, of how Minecraft mods work together), he doesn't understand that Bethesda Mods don't work together that smoothly, so he keeps going on about minecraft

brabbit also seems to think if it works for one thing it works for all. (stuck reading qouted posts) You must really enjoy the nexus milk if you cant seem to understand How curse forge does thing doesnt mean everyone should. You really should look at them as i doubt they are going "we own these forever no matter what you say" and if anything there is TOS going "you really want it gone it will be taken away" There is a thing called permission and mutual cooperation. Nexus went from working with its community to spitting on them and telling them in the cage or out to the wild.

As always HeyYou is speaking things clearly and i wish someone like them was in the nexus group. Common sense and some respect goes a long way. Sadly its a kingpin and his yes men goons running the show. (for those who dont know the full things for yes men : a person who agrees with everything that is said especially : one who endorses or supports without criticism every opinion or proposal of an associate or superior )

Edited by maxmanatarms

I really don't know anything about it. I left the Skyrim scene before SE became defacto. Actually I run from the Skyrim scene to avoid the tomatoes thrown at me from the angry Requiem crowd :laugh:

I'm just saying that I had a talk with Sinitar and I found him to be a nice guy.

The same goes for Wabbajack modpack authors, I found them to be nice girls & guys too -- I recently discussed the mod updates issue with them and they were actually great.

I believe mod authors and modpack maintainers can and will find a middle ground. Wabbajack works perfectly with files outside of Nexusmods which is great for competition.

I'm sure he is - I wasn't taking issue with that, I just found your use of the word 'promiscuous' to be interesting given its connotations but accurate, nevertheless. :yes:

Why was the Requiem crowd angry with you?

Collections here are mostly aimed at beth games. Not sure how far back they plan on going with that..... (a 'collection' for a functioning FCOM install for Oblivion would likely make a LOT of people happy.....)

Oh dear. Still no functioning FCOM install....!! How many years has it been now?

Edited by gnarly1

I really don't know anything about it. I left the Skyrim scene before SE became defacto. Actually I run from the Skyrim scene to avoid the tomatoes thrown at me from the angry Requiem crowd :laugh:

I'm just saying that I had a talk with Sinitar and I found him to be a nice guy.

The same goes for Wabbajack modpack authors, I found them to be nice girls & guys too -- I recently discussed the mod updates issue with them and they were actually great.

I believe mod authors and modpack maintainers can and will find a middle ground. Wabbajack works perfectly with files outside of Nexusmods which is great for competition.

I'm sure he is - I wasn't taking issue with that, I just found your use of the word 'promiscuous' to be interesting given its connotations but accurate, nevertheless. :yes:

Collections here are mostly aimed at beth games. Not sure how far back they plan on going with that..... (a 'collection' for a functioning FCOM install for Oblivion would likely make a LOT of people happy.....)

Oh dear. Still no functioning FCOM install....!! How many years has it been now?

I was able to beat it into submission many many many years ago. :) But, I started modding with Morrowind, so, had a leg up on most. TomLong made a REALLY good guide, I wish I knew what happened to him. (her??)

I was able to beat it into submission many many many years ago. :smile: But, I started modding with Morrowind, so, had a leg up on most. TomLong made a REALLY good guide, I wish I knew what happened to him. (her??)

TomLong was awesome. I remember trying to convince him/her to use a Wiki for the guide - but it's so long ago that I can't even remember if he/she did or not.

I was able to beat it into submission many many many years ago. :smile: But, I started modding with Morrowind, so, had a leg up on most. TomLong made a REALLY good guide, I wish I knew what happened to him. (her??)

After trying to relive the Oblivion days recently and trying to assemble FCOM, I felt like I was playing Pac-Man and trying to get a ring to Mordor at the same time.

"Go here, download Franceso from this mod page, BUT make sure you don't install that part of the mod, instead go to this other Francesco page and only download the B part of the zip file, DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH THE FILE....once you're done, download only 2.5 parts of MMM and ignore the rest and be sure to DOWNVOTE it, otherwise IT WILL NOT WORK!!!"

Etc etc

The new services just keep getting better:Â https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14543

Â

:laugh:Â Â Â

Meh. Prices have been steady for years. It's not a major increase, except for the loss of life time, I suppose.

No love for the ⬠I'm afraid...ð¥