Mod authors should have made a master list of locations

hucker75

when people make analogies, such as comparing something to building a house, they so this because they literally have no understanding whatsoever of the issue at hand.

you *think* its like building a house.

it isn't.

at all.

not even close.

its just the limit of your understanding.

everyone who knows how this stuff actually works has told you, it's a non-starter. but you are welcome to take the first step to proving them wrong.

You're reading too much into my analogy. I was just stating something else where a number of people work on the same thing. If a modder edits a cell, and so does another, and they don't communicate with each other, you get problems. If an electrician changes some wires, and so does another, those wires can no longer be guaranteed to work for both requirements. More accurately, change house to large commercial building.

You got your answer, READ THE DESCRIPTION PAGE and any Stickies.

People won't even read those, but want a huge long list of Cells each mod edits to read?

That's laughable.

I've seen stickies that say "This mod is incompatible with Mod X"

And directly below the sticky, is someone asking "Is this mod compatible with Mod X?"

So, no, don't ask modders to bust their butts making something that isn't even needed, when a description page and stickies do just fine, and NO, a big long list won't help modders either, so stop trying to use that as a selling point.

Just put some effort in at your end, and everything works.

You want a list?

Then start downloading mods, load them up in Xedit, and make a list.

Then upload it.

Again, I'm suggesting this list as a resource for MOD CREATORS to read.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when people make analogies, such as comparing something to building a house, they so this because they literally have no understanding whatsoever of the issue at hand.

you *think* its like building a house.

it isn't.

at all.

not even close.

its just the limit of your understanding.

everyone who knows how this stuff actually works has told you, it's a non-starter. but you are welcome to take the first step to proving them wrong.

You're reading too much into my analogy. I was just stating something else where a number of people work on the same thing. If a modder edits a cell, and so does another, and they don't communicate with each other, you get problems. If an electrician changes some wires, and so does another, those wires can no longer be guaranteed to work for both requirements. More accurately, change house to large commercial building.

no i'm reading what you wrote.

this is nothing like building a house. nothing.

its an analogy that doesnt work.

okay, no - here's the analogy using your house model.

you have a house.

now divide that house into chunks each chunk 5mm square.

now build your house, but before you build it - you make a list of every 5mm square, so that when you put down the foundation, you update your list so all those 5mm squares are part of the foundation.

then do the same for the external walls.

then do the same for the internal drywall.

then do the same for the waterproofing on your floor, to keep it from getting wet. oh but wait, that collides with the foundation. no - its okay, i put the flooring in AFTER the foundation.

now do the same for the floorboards.

now do the same for the power/gas/water pipes - oh but wait, i have to check the foundation/floor/floorboards

repeat ad infinitum.

do you see now, why it doesn't work, using your own "build a house" analogy?

It wouldn't be like that. You list important changes, for example "I've connected a 15 amp device to line 4 running under the hallway". Another electrician now knows if he does the same the circuit will overload. Or closer to what happens in Fallout 4 mods, "I'm repurposing this wall to be a door". Then another guy comes along, doesn't read the note, and changes it to a different door.

Mod creators know how to use FO4Edit.

So they can check a mod if they suspect it might break something.

I am currently working on lots of stuff and I tried to keep a spreadsheet with all the changes I made and I just stopped because it was too much work ...

But they can't check every single mod. All you'd need to write down is "I've fitted a door on building X which enters my dungeon". Anyone else writing a mod could search for references to the building they intend to use, see that you've already used it, and not wishing to make a conflict, use a different building.

Modders mod for themselves, not for you, not for me and not for the general public. I will repeat, mod authors create mods for themselves. If it works in their game, fine. If it conflicts with another mod, too bad. The fact that they upload and share their mod for free is a bonus. It is up to the mod user to ensure that the mod does not conflict with other mods.

Modders mod for themselves, not for you, not for me and not for the general public. I will repeat, mod authors create mods for themselves. If it works in their game, fine. If it conflicts with another mod, too bad. The fact that they upload and share their mod for free is a bonus. It is up to the mod user to ensure that the mod does not conflict with other mods.

If they were modding for themselves, they wouldn't be having conversations with users and fixing bugs for them.

This was discussed all the way back to the Oblivion days. It just isn't practical. Aside from the fact that enough mods come out that eventually you'd use up every practical location anyway, people often choose the same location for story reasons. Or because they like it.

Sigh.

I recently had someone, well, not complain exactly, that my Vault 111 mod isn't compatible with the spouse resurrection quest in Amazing Follower Tweaks, and ask me to change it.

AFT has been around longer, does that mean I should be forced to adapt to it? Even though I don't use AFT and therefore have no idea what changes it makes? Should I be forced to install AFT and make changes to my game that I don't want, just so I can support a mod I don't use? Especially when the solution is simple: don't enable my mod until you are done with whatever AFT does with 111. (Why do people think they have to enable EVERY mod at the start of a game, so they all have to work together?)

An earlier mod for Vault 75 makes changes I don't like, so I made my own. Mine, in the end, is simpler because it doesn't require large structural changes. BUT the other guy got there first. Does that mean I can't publish mine?

Settlement mods will always conflict. No two people will place the workshop in exactly the same place, and you can only have ONE workshop anyway. Who gets to decide where that workshop goes?

Get the idea?

This was discussed all the way back to the Oblivion days. It just isn't practical. Aside from the fact that enough mods come out that eventually you'd use up every practical location anyway, people often choose the same location for story reasons. Or because they like it.

It's very easy to do. My story wants a door in a certain building. I check the list, nobody has used that building, so I go ahead and use it, and not e that I've done so. Then you come along and want to use it for your story. You see I've used it. Now you can avoid a conflict with my mod by choosing another one. No point in making a mod which will cause the users a headache.

Sigh.

I recently had someone, well, not complain exactly, that my Vault 111 mod isn't compatible with the spouse resurrection quest in Amazing Follower Tweaks, and ask me to change it.

AFT has been around longer, does that mean I should be forced to adapt to it? Even though I don't use AFT and therefore have no idea what changes it makes? Should I be forced to install AFT and make changes to my game that I don't want, just so I can support a mod I don't use? Especially when the solution is simple: don't enable my mod until you are done with whatever AFT does with 111. (Why do people think they have to enable EVERY mod at the start of a game, so they all have to work together?)

An earlier mod for Vault 75 makes changes I don't like, so I made my own. Mine, in the end, is simpler because it doesn't require large structural changes. BUT the other guy got there first. Does that mean I can't publish mine?

Settlement mods will always conflict. No two people will place the workshop in exactly the same place, and you can only have ONE workshop anyway. Who gets to decide where that workshop goes?

Get the idea?

If AFT had noted down the changes, you could have searched for them and avoided conflicting with them.