Please for the love of god somebody help me with modding

YourLocalViking

So, I wanted to try out a few mods in this game. So I looked up a tutorial. Several of the tutorials that are recommended are now out of date and it is incredibly confusing as to what I should actually be doing.

I installed several mods via nexus which I had prior experience with. I used vortex (previously known as nmm). I then enabled these mods in the mods section. I was then told that I need to enable all the plugins, which there are none for some reason. I will provide a picture of the mods I want to use. I then tried launching it through steam, none of the mods work. I then tried launching it through f4se which I installed just to see if it would work, no mods worked. I then launched it through Vortex, no mods worked. I then took the files from vortex and copied them into both the mods and data files of my fallout 4 installation just to see if that would work and launched fallout 4 through all three of the different programs I stated before AND NONE OF THEM WORKED. How the hell is this supposed to work? Someone please help me

So, I wanted to try out a few mods in this game. So I looked up a tutorial. Several of the tutorials that are recommended are now out of date and it is incredibly confusing as to what I should actually be doing.

I installed several mods via nexus which I had prior experience with. I used vortex (previously known as nmm). I then enabled these mods in the mods section. I was then told that I need to enable all the plugins, which there are none for some reason. I will provide a picture of the mods I want to use. I then tried launching it through steam, none of the mods work. I then tried launching it through f4se which I installed just to see if it would work, no mods worked. I then launched it through Vortex, no mods worked. I then took the files from vortex and copied them into both the mods and data files of my fallout 4 installation just to see if that would work and launched fallout 4 through all three of the different programs I stated before AND NONE OF THEM WORKED. How the hell is this supposed to work? Someone please help me

attachicon.gif mods.PNG

Vortex is not NMM though. Vortex should automatically prompt you in deploying mods after you install one and when it's done on deploying mods, plugins should be enabled if not then it needs to be double checked for enabling. I wonder if you've invalidated your files for modding. I find it weird since I've been using Vortex for awhile now without a single issue and works perfectly fine with heavy load of mods.

I wonder if you've invalidated your files for modding.

I'm curious as to WHY you keep saying this?

This is NOT a step involved in modding, at all

Dunno bout you keep popping out of nowhere when I'm trying to help people politely based on my knowledge in adding support for mods. Also read here since you've got an issue: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Fallout_4_Mod_Installation

Dunno bout you keep popping out of nowhere when I'm trying to help people politely based on my knowledge in adding support for mods. Also read here since you've got an issue: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Fallout_4_Mod_Installation

I understand you're trying to help, but the answer you keep giving, doesn't apply to every single situation.

I even had to look up

I wonder if you've invalidated your files for modding.

because I had no idea what you're talking about

You keep posting it as the answer to EVERYTHING, without giving any link or explanation as to what you mean.

Especially in the Vortex Forums

It's great you're trying to help, but what you're doing, is making things confusing, because you post your 'solution' with no explanation or link, and ignoring the fact that not ALL modding problems have ONE solution

It also doesn't help that you keep asking, or mentioning "Did you invalidate your files for modding?" and then you never post the actual link to the article you're quoting, whether or not the question is relevant to the problem at hand.

That's not going to help anybody if they don't know what you're talking about.

The only time you actually posted a link to what you keep asking people, is to show ME, what you are talking about, rather than posting that to help other people.

So you're asking people if they've taken a certain step, but not posting HOW to take the step you asked them about.

That's not helpful, and it's not a "Shotgun Solution" that will fix EVERYTHING.

It's actually Archive invalidation, and it needs to happen so the game will actually use newer files. For the most part, mod managers handle that particular trick. In Vortex, I don't know if it just does it automagically when you install mods, or if you have to tell it to actually do so.

It's actually Archive invalidation, and it needs to happen so the game will actually use newer files. For the most part, mod managers handle that particular trick. In Vortex, I don't know if it just does it automagically when you install mods, or if you have to tell it to actually do so.

Vortex handles it automatically, to the point where it causes issues when modding NV and requires an override buried in Vortex's settings. I understand there was a button in NMM or MO2 to do this mod by mod, but that no longer exists in Vortex.

End result, it's no longer needed and @trstngllrdo should stop recommending it because it just confuses things.

Curiously, it does not appear that anyone actually provided any useful advise to the original poster!

OP, I feel your frustration and maybe I can offer some guidance.

You may not be getting a lot of helpful replies in that just showing what mods you want to install (or have installed) is not enough. Vortex will enable these mods at your request with a pop-up and will almost always enable the plug-ins (sometimes it does not - I think that is because I close out Vortex before it is done with it's job).

Have you made changes to your ini files to allow you to mod the game?? Because not much info is provided other than your list of mods, I am assuming that the game is not working because it has not been set up to accept/run mods and that it was working without mods. If your game did not work without mods, then that is a whole other problem. If my assumption is not accurate, my apologies.

Have you downloaded and properly installed FO4SE? Many mods / the vast majority I believe, of mods require that program.

For setting up your game for modding, there are several sources. Grant it. some of them are older, but if you search enough, there are more recent guides, even on the Nexus you will find guides re: ini tweaks, etc.

Check out this site which provides some useful info:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2242115007

You should also look into this mod:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/67 (Bethini)

This will help with setting up the ini files.

Once you get your game going you can add further tweaks if you want to your ini files (the basic ini, the prefs.ini and custom.ini) depending on what you are trying to do.

You can also check out this site

https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/Guide:System_Setup_Guide

And this:

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Fallout_4_Mod_Installation

The site also includes some definitions of tweaks you can make to your ini files.

When you are playing a modded game, the game should be launched through FO4SE, just copy a shortcut to your task bar or desktop. I do not run it through Vortex and you do not start it through Steam or the actual fallout4.exe file

I would also refer you to https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23556

Biraitbec guide. I am not suggesting that you follow the entire guide, but it includes a useful set-up guide to prepare the game for modding. Someone has updated the guide on the Nexus and I think you can get an invite to join the discord group that has the updated guide, and is working on an even more thorough guide (my only reservation with the guide is that they seem to hate Vortex whereas I have not had a problem using it and taking care of load order etc., but I did use the guide for texture optimizations, etc.)

If I can do all of this, you should be able to do it as I had very little knowledge of modding when I started modding Skyrim SE and have learned from those mistakes over the years. Heck, when Vortex would ask me should "X mod" be before or after "Y mod", I would just guess, I was really clueless, I am surprised I was actually able to play the game.

As I said before, I know this can be very frustrating, but with a little bit of knowledge and guidance, before you know it you will have Curie doing a three-way with a robot and a mutant hound if that is something you want to do (no judgment here) :smile:

Good luck and if you have looked at/tried all the things I am recommending, I would then ask for some more help and if I see your post, I will do my best to see of I can help.

Take care and (eventually) happy gaming because life is just too damn short to sweat some of the small stuff life throws our way.

Can't help you bro', you are using Vortex - I avoid that like the plague (just like I avoided NMM like the plague).

Oddly enough, both MO2 (Mod Organizer 2) and Vortex are made by the same guy - go figure.

Vortex UI IMO is garbage - tries to be too pretty. MO2 is still old school - and when it comes to managing mods "pretty" is irrelevant - it's all about the content and how to navigate it.

This guy - he's your LIFESAVER - GamerPoets:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF1Qkw7OUG4JmIrw1QI-oWg

Professionally made guides for pretty much anything you want to know about modding - Fallout 4, Skyrim, take your pick.

Want to master MO2, he can help you get there.

Want to master Vortex, he can help you get there too.

Want to see some mod recommendations - yep, he covers that too.

GAMERPOETS. Learn it, love it.

If you see some of his videos are 2+ years old - trust me, very, very little of them are actually out of date. At their core, he covers everything you need to know.