Slof's mods withdrawn?

Frodric

I myself am no big fan of her work, as I play a male character and I wanted normal, non-revealing clothes for my character, not fetish gear (and I'm not a hypocrite, as I hold female armor and body replacements to the same standard, namely, I want some realism).

Nevertheless, the removal of her work strikes me as being somewhat unfair, even selfish. Just because some people didn't like it doesn't mean that it has to disappear.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I myself am no big fan of her work, as I play a male character and I wanted normal, non-revealing clothes for my character, not fetish gear (and I'm not a hypocrite, as I hold female armor and body replacements to the same standard, namely, I want some realism).

Nevertheless, the removal of her work strikes me as being somewhat unfair, even selfish. Just because some people didn't like it doesn't mean that it has to disappear.

Why not? She's offering a free add-on to the game. She has no obligation to share it. No modder has any obligation to share their work, but many do and for that I am grateful. I'm grateful even when it comes to mods I dislike, it creates diversity. But to add a free service like that only to have people spit in your face repeatedly and go to great lengths to do it. I can only imagine some of the vulgarities she found in her inbox. No you can't fault Slof here, because it's her work she has every right to do what she wants with it, and to endure that kind of slander does after a while become grating, I can attest to that first hand even though for me it was real life, and family no less. Nevertheless considering the amount of time and work she puts into her creations only to have a bunch of homophobic fools berate her constantly. I see no wrong committed by her. Some people need to learn to mind their own damned business and live and let live. If you don't like it don't bother with it, that's what I do with mods I find distasteful like that Sexoblivion mod or whatever. I'm not harassing the author, I just choose to ignore it. It's not like anyone is pointing a gun at anyones head and demanding they download something. So what the hell? Leave the woman alone! I'm sure she would extend that courtesy but noooo the morality police have to make their case, which is ridiculously hypocritical in nature.

Bottom-line Slof is hardly at fault here. Hate filled insecure cretins are. Believe me contrary to popular belief words do hurt, as do circumstances. And when you look at the circumstances, erotic female based mods getting praise, and Slof's erotic male mods recieving venom from people. People so hellbent on hurting this woman they go as far as to private message her, because she disabled comments for her mods. No, don't tell me she is at fault here, she has every right to do whatever she wants to do with her work that's it, end of story.

It's going to have ripple effects as well. I started looking for a replacement for better beasts, demons. claws etc since I don't have those copies of Slofs anymore. Most of the mods I found are using her textures or totally dependent on having her textures loaded to start with. Just look at the race mods requirements and you'll find a lot aren't going to work anymore.

It's going to have ripple effects as well. I started looking for a replacement for better beasts, demons. claws etc since I don't have those copies of Slofs anymore. Most of the mods I found are using her textures or totally dependent on having her textures loaded to start with. Just look at the race mods requirements and you'll find a lot aren't going to work anymore.

This is my main gripe with losing the mods.

@Sangel You seem to think I'm some sort of moral crusader. I really could care less what mods people want for their games, even if I find them not to my liking.

This is my main gripe with losing the mods.

@Sangel You seem to think I'm some sort of moral crusader. I really could care less what mods people want for their games, even if I find them not to my liking.

I apologize if you interpreted my post that way. The anger was directed at those who pushed Slof to this point. My point to you was along the lines of, it's her work and she can do what she wants with it. Especially if she's being attacked repeatedly over it, why should she share it? Slof's been around for ages and puts a lot of love into her creations so from that perspective, not only is she getting ripped apart, as is her hard work as an artist. I can certainly understand where she is coming from. You mentioned drama? Well why should Slof have to deal with the drama created by the mudslingers?

However, I do apologize if you took my post out of context. The underlying anger present in it was centered in this whole situation, and not directed at you.

Terribly sorry for the misunderstanding. Like you, I am frustrated that the same crowd that lead to the promulgation of multiple mods depicting an unrealistic female figure objected to a woman who thought differently. I certainly hope there is some solution to this problem, as this invalidates a great number of mods.

She also did race retextures and add-ons, and those were the ones I was interested in (after adding some high-larious mspaint heart boxers to the guys and generous underclothes to the girls).

Terribly sorry for the misunderstanding. Like you, I am frustrated that the same crowd that lead to the promulgation of multiple mods depicting an unrealistic female figure objected to a woman who thought differently. I certainly hope there is some solution to this problem, as this invalidates a great number of mods.

She also did race retextures and add-ons, and those were the ones I was interested in (after adding some high-larious mspaint heart boxers to the guys and generous underclothes to the girls).

I feel your frustration. While I still have a few of her mods, I lost some during a Data directory wipe I preformed a few months ago. I thought I had them backed up, but I didn't along with a few other various non-Slof mods. So I figured okay I'll download them when I need them as I progress through the game. I now regret not downloading them immediately, as there's a chance I may never see them again. :(

I think the real question here is, how do we as a community get Slof back.

I have admired her work for years ever since I downloaded one of her first mods for Morrowind.

She has devoted years to the cause and for good or bad some jerks have ruined it for the rest and I believe majority of the community.

Its not a case of whos to blame now cause its too late to point the finger. It is possible that we are all to blame cause we took her and her work for granted to some extent.

We should be trying to figure out how to woo her back cause as many people have stated, many of her creations are must haves, or required for other mods and not for just that she is awsome as a person as well. Every post I have ever seen where she is giving advice or descibing her mods shows she is the coolest.

Now what can we do to ensure she will come back that is the real challenge.

I want to add my thanks and best wishes to Slof in whatever direction she chooses to pursue her life.

I am forever grateful for the help she offered me with my mods, including making special textures for them. She did this out of kindness, without me even having to ask.

I'm lucky. I have almost all of her mods backed up on discs.

I will admit some were not my style, but I consider myself old enough and mature enough to pass by the ones I don't choose to use without unnecessary hysterics and drama. In fact I applaud her courage and strength in putting up with the derision and abuse for so many years.

After all, she shared her creations with good grace and generosity. She didn't have to.

No-one who creates mods of any kind should be held to ransom by the people who use them. They are created freely for all to use and no-one is forced to view them, let alone download them.

One wonders why, when there is an adult filter, these people who ruin the experience for others even look at adult oriented mods. Is it just so they can moan and wring their hands in horror in the throes some kind of self flagellation? And then they feel the need to persecute the creator for their own guilt and insecurities as well.

I also must say that I am stunned, and not in a good way, at some of the mods that appear on this site. I don't particularly like the way women are portrayed as sexual and particularly objects of violence and ridicule in some mods. It doesn't happen with males and I wouldn't want it to. Imagine the drama if it did.

In this world of so called equality between the sexes there is still a long way to go before society finally grows up and realizes we are all part of the same race.

And yes, I do know they are only pixels on a screen, but personally I think these attitudes must carry over into the lives of the people who create and use these mods and find amusement in them.

This does not mean I have a Victorian attitude to nudity or sex. I fact, I was a nurse for over 30 years and I bet I've seen things that would boggle the small minds of the trolls who harass artists like Slof.

I view mods that are rated as adult because I like to download the ones that show the beauty of BOTH the male and female body without the sleaze factor added in. That factor does NOT apply to skimpy outfits and clothing by the way. I have no problem with them, but I don't use them and pass on by. As someone else mentioned, it's because of the sake of realism for me even in a fantasy game.

We've been lucky to have people like Slof and others who do it right for us. I wish I had as much talent in my little finger as these artists do.

We devise more ways of killing and maiming each other and become desensitized to it, but show a naked female and heaven forbid male, and it's like all the nightmares of these trolls have come true and they must rise up and destroy the abomination to their senses. It's easy to hide behind an avatar on the internet so they feel free and safe to rant and rave. I'm not saying it's right, but at least sometimes the ones who actually post and earn themselves a ban, have more guts and stupidity than the cowards who do it in emails or by PM.

Trying to lure her back is in my opinion the wrong way to go. I'd like to see Slof return as much as anyone, but her health and peace of mind come first. If she does return it should be because she wants to, not because people only want her mods.

I've already seen posts lamenting the fact that her mods are gone and what will we do without this texture or that mesh?

We should all think of the person behind them first and wish her well.

Archived