flat file (non-fomod) SKSE mod for SkyrimSE installed incorrectly

Fractalbase
Go to solution Solved by Pickysaurus,

Different problem, I think. None of the files in the TK Dodge mod are meant to go in the game's main folder so the "engine injector" shouldn't be needed.

The problem here is that the ESP is correctly being put in the Data folder, but the sub-folders aren't being put in place.

I'd be tempted to put some dummy files in the empty folders and see if the feature where Vortex ignores empty folders is causing an issue with mods that have a file in a folder within an empty folder.

Are you sure? The mods I'm having trouble with (any non-fomod mod with a skse dll) don't have files for the root SSE directory. Where do I set "unpack as is"? I started noticing this behavior 3 weeks ago. Basically the install logic puts the Data\SKSE\Plugins files into Data and discards all other files.

Are you sure? The mods I'm having trouble with (any non-fomod mod with a skse dll) don't have files for the root SSE directory. Where do I set "unpack as is"? I started noticing this behavior 3 weeks ago. Basically the install logic puts the Data\SKSE\Plugins files into Data and discards all other files.

Sorry if I gave wrong advice. I misread your post.

But anyway, I just moved over to the GOG version, so had to reinstall many SKSE64 dll mods and literally every single one installed correctly. There is something unique to your set up that is causing this. I am curious what your game install path looks like.

There is something unique to your set up that is causing this.

I had a "vortex meltdown" about a month ago. Basically Vortex froze and I closed the program from Task Manager. When I next opened Vortex, it didn't seem to remember my settings. I went through a number of steps to finally get everything back to the way it was before vortex melted down on me.

I wonder if that has something to do with the issue I'm having.

I also noticed there are two Vortex extensions I have "Script Extender Installer" and "Script Extender Error Check" and I wonder if they have anything to do with the installation of SKSE mods? Or might there be other extensions installed that have something to do with installing SKSE mods?

There is something unique to your set up that is causing this.

I had a "vortex meltdown" about a month ago. Basically Vortex froze and I closed the program from Task Manager. When I next opened Vortex, it didn't seem to remember my settings. I went through a number of steps to finally get everything back to the way it was before vortex melted down on me.

I wonder if that has something to do with the issue I'm having.

I also noticed there are two Vortex extensions I have "Script Extender Installer" and "Script Extender Error Check" and I wonder if they have anything to do with the installation of SKSE mods? Or might there be other extensions installed that have something to do with installing SKSE mods?

Neither of those extensions would have any say on installing stuff. The "Script Extender Installer" specifically looks for SKSE/F4SE/OBSE/etc and installs it properly. Script Extender Error Check scans the SKSE/F4SE/etc logs when the game closes and informs the player of any errors.

One thing you could try is to temporarily rename the %appdata%\Vortex folder to something else. Then when you open the app it will be like a fresh start. From there try and install one of those mods you've had problems with. If it installs properly then you may have some weird extension installed that is breaking it. I'd actually wager that you have a game extension installed which was written by a community dev and they haven't properly locked their installer logic to one game.

One thing you could try is to temporarily rename the %appdata%\Vortex folder to something else. Then when you open the app it will be like a fresh start. From there try and install one of those mods you've had problems with. If it installs properly then you may have some weird extension installed that is breaking it. I'd actually wager that you have a game extension installed which was written by a community dev and they haven't properly locked their installer logic to one game.

I recently added a few game extensions, perhaps a few weeks ago. I will definitely try your suggestion, and report back.

If you can let us know which game extensions you have I can take a quick look in their code to see if I can see the error.

It's likely to be games that use DLL files (such as Unity games).

Here you go: https://imgur.com/a/9iI72Ks

Edit, I also have "Steam Workshop Extension", if that makes a difference. I tried installing the similar extension for downloading mods from Bethesda.net, but I don't believe that installed successfully.