New Forum Feedback

Pickysaurus

10 hours ago, EiraValkyrie said:

Would appreciate an update on this. Is this just that new forum is being processed, or did something truly get messed up with permissions

You may not get a response until Monday.  Very few staff members are active on the weekends.  You might also try the site-feedback section of the Discord.

What happened to the sig? I used to have Ubuntu (insert latest version here) in my sig. Now I feel like the Ancient Mariner - preceding every comment with: I'm on Linux but... 

And some of the sigs were extremely amusing... 

Erm, why on earth would EVERY game Modding forums be dumped into the same forum? Given the number of games here, that is going to make keeping track of mod issues/requests pretty much impossible. What happened to each game having it's own forum for such purposes???

1 hour ago, HeyYou said:

Erm, why on earth would EVERY game Modding forums be dumped into the same forum? Given the number of games here, that is going to make keeping track of mod issues/requests pretty much impossible. What happened to each game having it's own forum for such purposes???

Previously, when a new game is added to the site, a new forum for that game is automatically created. Sub-forums of general discussion / modding discussion / news might also be created. This resulted in over 10,000 game-related forums on the site. While many of these are well-used, some are almost empty. 

Our plan has been to pull the main games that account for over 95% of all game discussion, into their own dedicated forums. If a game begins to gain a lot of traction, we can easily create new dedicated forums to support the community.

Guest deleted34304850
43 minutes ago, Demorphic said:

Previously, when a new game is added to the site, a new forum for that game is automatically created. Sub-forums of general discussion / modding discussion / news might also be created. This resulted in over 10,000 game-related forums on the site. While many of these are well-used, some are almost empty. 

Our plan has been to pull the main games that account for over 95% of all game discussion, into their own dedicated forums. If a game begins to gain a lot of traction, we can easily create new dedicated forums to support the community.

so the plan is literally, to continue with the chaos of hiding stuff away? i mean, there was no mention whatsoever about consolidating many forums into a "club" or whatever they're called, and finding them is an exercise in frustration. then, once you've found them, all the posts from many forums are consolidated into a single forum with no obvious/easy means to search them and receive meaningful resultsets.

however, once everyone has gotten used to this nonsense, on the offchance a community grows, despite your best efforts, you'll undo all that, and move posts once again, so we repeat the whole "where is post x for game y"?

and you think this is going to prevent people heading off to discord servers? really?

The more forums that we create on Invision Board, the more server power it requires (because, on every page load, Invision Board tries to pre-load all the forum categories, so the more there are, the longer that takes) and the slower every single page load is for every single user, no matter what or where they are browsing on the forums. Thus, reducing the number of forums, where they aren't at all necessary, has an intrinsic value to all users on the forums. In a nut-shell, less wasted space and less resources wasted makes browsing easier and faster for our users.

The vast majority of the games Nexus Mods support have 5 or less mods uploaded to them (just a little under 2,000 of the 2,600 games) and likely won't ever have more mods uploaded for them as those mods are things like no intro videos and, perhaps, an ENB. These games do NOT need dedicated forums set aside just for them and if, on the off chance someone has a question related to one of these game it can be placed in the "catch all" forum set aside for these very tiny modding communities.

If a game actually has people uploading multiple mods to it (and not just ENBs/intro replacers) then that community will be fostered and supported with a dedicated area made for it on the forums. But gone are the days where we have 2,000 unused forums laying around for absolutely no reason what-so-ever.

Guest deleted34304850

i can totally get the technical reasons for this and understand them completely - my contention is the following:

1. none of this was broadcast

2. it is either impossible, or very difficult to go from the forums to a club/community - but i can go from a club/community to the forums in a single click

3. the search facility provided by invision isn't the best - not nexusmods fault at all - but - consolidation of several forums into one with no easy means to search and receive a meaningful result set means that consolidation, while completely practical from the technical standpoint is impractical from a usability standpoint.

4. if you consolidate forums into one - then okay - it is what it is. however, if you then arbitrarily decide that game 'x' has generated a busy community - moving all the posts again, is going to cause the same confusion once more, and i have to ask, who wins in that scenario? is it the people who made the community with their activity? is it nexusmods who then have to perform the forum data move? is it the moderators who will have to deal with people asking, quite reasonably (i hope) - where did my posts go?

so, right now we have navigation issues, as in can't easily find clubs/communities/forums coupled with an inability to search clubs/communities/forums effectively which ultimately means that the usefulness of the forums as they are today, is not as it was a month ago.

they are harder to use, harder to read (wasteful screen real estate), and the overall use seems to be clunky at best with a lot of friction in the simplest of tasks - navigation.

as a result - if the goal is to try to maintain the community and prevent a migration to discord, this seems to be counter productive - and trust me - i am in no way, shape, or form a fan of, or a user of discord for anything. it is a horrible platform for a variety of reasons.

i just think the end product of the forum upgrade has been detrimental even allowing for the inevitable learning curve.