User Profile and Direct Messaging Improvements Beta

JustThatKing

Glad to see you are listening to feedback. Its looking really great - the last main gripe I have is not  being able to tell if I downloaded a mod from the author. Can you had an overlay to indicate mods that you have downloaded

On 3/27/2024 at 6:21 AM, JustThatKing said:

Upcoming Changes:

We have committed to making changes to account for many pieces of feedback that have been put forward in this thread. Here is a taster of what is still to come:

• Mod Tile status indicators (Downloaded, Update Available, etc) will be returning

@SirDaemon

25 minutes ago, SirDaemon said:

Glad to see you are listening to feedback. 

Except where they are not. Literally 36% of the posters' feedback/complaints are the same 5-6 things which they/nexus have said they are not going to change, or haven't said anything.

• Like 1

Ok, here is my spiel of more number crunching after/over the long weekend.

As of the long weekend/the first month of feedback. 36% of the first month of feedback's users (so those already who had a top complain) came back to mention the higher contrast as an addition is bothering them.

Making 19% -> 21% of the 36% of top complaints (meaning they have 1 or more complaints of the top complaints), a 3% rise about the higher contrast hard/hurting their eyes in less than (and within the last) 5 days. Aka is gradually increasing/growing, even to those who didn't think at first/initially it was a concern.

So out of 36% of posters includes those who like/dislike/neutral/non-specified top concerns by %:

• 20% want to convert back to/stay Classic
  • 21% had concerns about the High Contrast/Difficulty to Read/Eye Complaints
  • 24% want their 5 tiles back and in some cases more
  • 35%  had concerns of wasted space
  • 45% had concerns it was Oversized/Too Big
Edited by HollownessDevoured
  • Like 1

@Karna5 I was wondering if I could get your input on your specific comfort level of high contrast. I know you have existing eye issues, and I do still want you to be comfortable on the site. But is the current beta's dark mode the only enjoyable tolerance, or as long as it is an improvement contrast to classic? Or alternatively, are these other dark mode samples I show still very helpful for you? That is about the compromise I am hoping for. I could do lighter but this is about as dark as I usually have/do/see/the standards most people are use to.

The first two examples are editors in dark mode for sites that provide both a dark/light mode. The light modes I cannot take for these sites but are comfortable editing in these dark mode colour themes. The second examples are nexus' darkened and/or higher contrast direction, where I am starting to notice negative affects.  

Standard dark modes for sites that provide both a dark/light mode

Y5l4vuI.jpg

vs. Nexus' direction new forums and nexus beta's editor sample.

1W1kuvo.jpg

Top Left is a dark mode I can edit for hours on and Top Right is reddit's dark mode. The Bottom Left is edit mode in forums new dark (which the edit isn't that bad just not great either, but it is the forum overview (bright white) titles that are actually harder on me). But the eye hurt culprit that will kill me off is the almost black background and bright white text of the Bottom Right.

6 hours ago, HollownessDevoured said:

@Karna5 I was wondering if I could get your input on your specific comfort level of high contrast. I know you have existing eye issues, and I do still want you to be comfortable on the site. But is the current beta's dark mode the only enjoyable tolerance, or as long as it is an improvement contrast to classic? Or alternatively, are these other dark mode samples I show still very helpful for you? That is about the compromise I am hoping for. I could do lighter but this is about as dark as I usually have/do/see/the standards most people are use to.

The first two examples are editors in dark mode for sites that provide both a dark/light mode. The light modes I cannot take for these sites but are comfortable editing in these dark mode colour themes. The second examples are nexus' darkened and/or higher contrast direction, where I am starting to notice negative affects.  

Standard dark modes for sites that provide both a dark/light mode

Y5l4vuI.jpg

vs. Nexus' direction new forums and nexus beta's editor sample.

1W1kuvo.jpg

Top Left is a dark mode I can edit for hours on and Top Right is reddit's dark mode. The Bottom Left is edit mode in forums new dark (which the edit isn't that bad just not great either, but it is the forum overview (bright white) titles that are actually harder on me). But the eye hurt culprit that will kill me off is the almost black background and bright white text of the Bottom Right.

For me there's no contest. It's not even close. The bottom right is way, way, way better than the other three. Bottom left is kind of light contrast and much too small. Top two have nearly no contrast between letters and background. Reading the top two isn't really reading at all. It's guessing the words based on context and word size and rough word shape.

@HollownessDevoured, hello 🙂 On a serious note raised by your last question, I am wondering if maybe there's a generational gap between us. Before 2011 I used to read novels and books on paper all the time. I read thousands of novels before I lost that ability (and now I do audiobooks, thousands of them).

How do you read books? Those have binary contrast. White and Black, not gray and black, and not gray and white. I don't personally understand how high contrast between letters and background can be a problem. To me it makes no sense.

But maybe I'm simply older than you. Maybe I grew up on books.

13 minutes ago, Karna5 said:

For me there's no contest. It's not even close. The bottom right is way, way, way better than the other three. Bottom left is kind of light contrast and much too small. Top two have nearly no contrast between letters and background. Reading the top two isn't really reading at all. It's guessing the words based on context and word size and rough word shape.

Well, it isn't about a contest, it was if it was still within reasonable contrast. So sadly your only preference is hard on others, but I didn't want you to be at an unreasonable disadvantage either.

Compromise, if it was up to user feedback, isn't possible, is basically what you are saying. It is a shame, because I was hoping a compromise would at least still be within a contrast that you could live with.

2 minutes ago, HollownessDevoured said:

So sadly your only preference is hard on others

Sadly, my friend, this insistence you have that my preference is hard on others upsets me very much. I find it both irrational and insulting. I am departing from this topic as it's been making me angry at your irrationality.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Karna5 said:

@HollownessDevoured, hello 🙂 On a serious note raised by your last question, I am wondering if maybe there's a generational gap between us. Before 2011 I used to read novels and books on paper all the time. I read thousands of novels before I lost that ability (and now I do audiobooks, thousands of them).

How do you read books? Those have binary contrast. White and Black, not gray and black, and not gray and white. I don't personally understand how high contrast between letters and background can be a problem. To me it makes no sense.

But maybe I'm simply older than you. Maybe I grew up on books.

Book reading was never an issue for me (but most novels I have are not printed on pure white cardstock, pages are usually an off white or cream). I think it has to do with a lit screen.

grammar fix
  • Like 1