User Profile and Direct Messaging Improvements Beta

JustThatKing

Just giving a bit of feedback to say I appreciate how clean the new design looks. I know when redesigning things, the immediate feedback is usually negative because people prefer things they're familiar with, but I think with enough feedback it can make for a better experience for everyone overall. This may have already been posted by other users, but my main concern where I'd like to see an improvement is this:

When browsing the user's published mods in the current layout, there's a small banner which tells me if I've previously downloaded the mod before, or an update for the mod is available. With the new beta layout, this is not the case, from what I can tell, and it makes it harder to quickly verify which mods from that user I am frequently/actively using. Posted an example below! Good luck on the redesign!

example1.png

example2.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, itsTyler said:

When browsing the user's published mods in the current layout, there's a small banner which tells me if I've previously downloaded the mod before, or an update for the mod is available.

They promised to bring those tags back.

Also, thanks for a graphic example of how much less convenient the new UI is:

- no emphasis on game name / type of the mod / modder name
- no distinction between release / update date
- bottom row reading goes from mod size/endorsements/download count to endorsements/download count/mod size. Since I write and read from left to right, I first get somewhat useless info about endorsements instead of useful info about mod size.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zloybelka said:

-no distinction between release / update date

-bottom row reading goes from mod size/endorsements/download count to endorsements/download count/mod size. Since I write and read from left to right, I first get somewhat useless info about  endorsements instead of useful info about mod size.

The update date and release date are now signified by the circular arrow and upload icon, respectively. The distinction lies in the difference of the icons. But it is less intuitive to some, I agree.

I too care less about endorsement count, which is simply how many folks like your mod. But those can be artificially inflated. I suppose some users utilize that as a gauge as to whether they download or not, hence the change. I don't know, I'm just guessing there. It would be interesting to know why that was changed. 

Also, being that @itsTyler laid out the comparison above, the differences are stark. While the new design is much cleaner looking and concise, I find it to be a little flat and less vibrant. Bring back the orange highlighting! Those orange letters tend to jump out giving you some key information. And what happened to the mention of the mod author? Was that deemed redundant as it can be viewed on the mod's respective page?

As a whole, I'm a fan of dark, monochromatic themes, so I like it. If my eyes get strained from reading, I do the same thing I used to do whenever I read books... remember those?... I look away and give my eyes a rest.

Edited by UsernameWithA9
A little clarification
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 2:06 AM, UsernameWithA9 said:

But it is less intuitive to some, I agree.

I find it to be a little flat and less vibrant. Bring back the orange highlighting! Those orange letters tend to jump out giving you some key information. And what happened to the mention of the mod author? Was that deemed redundant as it can be viewed on the mod's respective page?

Those points make me do a double take on every single mod tile. And I agree that having 3-color font palette with a color accent lets you assess information quicker than a flat greyscale. On the other hand, I've seen a site go from a restrained accent palette to a more colorful palette that also slows you down, so sticking to the middle ground in this regard is always better 😄

If my eyes get strained from reading, I do the same thing I used to do whenever I read books... remember those?... I look away and give my eyes a rest.

Kind of a moot point when eye strain starts the second I look at the page.
Out of curiosity used a color picker on my default background color for non-proportional wallpapers (black 0, 0, 0) and Nexus Next background (9, 9, 11 on the blue side), apparently that blue shine is what annoys me the most of all the questionable new design choices. upd. Although (9, 9, 15) with a very light grey font on another site feels ok.

upd2. No, I think the issue is with large high-contrast areas anyway. Small areas with white on black text don't overload eyesight as much when most of the screen is filled with something more colorful and less contrasted.

Edited by zloybelka
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, zloybelka said:

Kind of a moot point when eye strain starts the second I look at the page.

Well, to be fair, eye strain begins for us all when we look at these screens. Some folks just happen to be more sensitive than others, as are you. In my experience, websites that have predominantly light or white backgrounds and themes are blinding to me, so as long as Nexus stays dark, I'm good.

I don't envy the task of the Nexus designers when it comes to trying to please everyone. I simply don't possess the diplomacy skills. It sounds like you've identified a possible solution though. I'd be cool with a light grey font. You got my vote.

• Like 2

The "problem" is also on user end;

• people use all kind of screens
  • people have all kinds of range to screen
  • peoples anamoty is different
  • etc.

The best solution is to create a base layout/UI maybe black, and then let specific UI elements be changed via profile settings. How difficult can it be? We can change font color too. ...

9 minutes ago, Qrsr said:

The best solution is to create a base layout/UI maybe black, and then let specific UI elements be changed via profile settings. How difficult can it be? We can change font color too.

I doubt that's easier than having 2 or more set themes to choose from, as on many other sites.

1 minute ago, zloybelka said:

I doubt that's easier than having 2 or more set themes to choose from, as on many other sites.

Its pretty easy to create switches like that. Make two like we discussed already, black and white.

Then just let users choose design based on a given number of colors to limit choices.

Track their choices, create prefabs...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, UsernameWithA9 said:

It sounds like you've identified a possible solution though. I'd be cool with a light grey font. You got my vote.

The problem is (you can look a few pages back), it's just impossible to stuff all solutions into one color choice, either users with bigger accessibility issues are left out on a more sudbued color theme (like the one I described or classic) or users who voiced their discomfort with new theme (like me) but were ok with classic theme.

• Like 2