User Profile and Direct Messaging Improvements Beta

JustThatKing

Frankly, I believe having an option to display one's gender on one's profile would cause more problems than it would be worth, because, unfortunately, there are far too many people on the internet who would turn it into an issue, misuse it (mainly in the case of a custom field), harass others based on what the field says, and so on.

If there were the binary options male/female, some people would take issue with it because it's not inclusive enough.
If there were more than those two options, some people would take issue with it because it's too inclusive.
If there were three options, male/female/prefer not to say, those choosing the last option would get targeted by malicious people.
A custom field would cause mixed issues.

It's just not worth it, in my opinion. It's easy enough to simply refer to people as 'they' when you don't know what the person's gender or preferred pronoun is.

Gender and real name can still be shared in your "About Me" if you want other users to know about it. You can add suggestions to the feedback board if you'd like specific fields for this again - it would just be something that needs a lot of community support to prove it's value over simply using the About Me. 

6 hours ago, Pickysaurus said:

Gender and real name can still be shared in your "About Me" if you want other users to know about it. 

Which looks way more creepy/weird, either make it optional or not at all, but don't encourage that.

Edited by HollownessDevoured
  • Like 1

Speaking of the "About Me" section in Beta, how do I edit or upload new images to this section. I'm having trouble with Nexus recognizing the old URL codes. Any help would be appreciated if this has been asked before.

8 minutes ago, HollownessDevoured said:

Which looks way more creepy/weird

*Laughs* That comment actually makes me want to do it now, haha. In Black Desert my main character's title is "Weird and unthinkable." I've always found being thought of as weird or creepy to be a compliment rather than derrogatory 🙂 Maybe it's a punk thing.

Of course, I won't do it, as actually doing something specifically for its reaction makes it uncool. That's a punk thing as well 🙂

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, gialloman01 said:

Speaking of the "About Me" section in Beta, how do I edit or upload new images to this section. I'm having trouble with Nexus recognizing the old URL codes. Any help would be appreciated if this has been asked before.

You can use the toolbar button to add images. The URL generally needs to end with an image file extension such as PNG, JPG, GIF, WEBP to be valid. 

Keep in mind the new editor is Markdown so BBCode tags do not work. 

Images use this syntax 

![ALT TEXT](URL)

rather than this

[img=URL]

But you shouldn't ever need to type that directly with the toolbar buttons. 

• Like 2

What is he refresh rate in beta? My classic is more up-to-date with files than beta. Looks at least 12 hours behind.

On 2/28/2024 at 5:06 PM, polymorphic2346 said:

I enjoyed the new layout. However as a dyslexic, I have trouble reading on such a high contrast. A slight adjustment can maintain a high contrast for those who need and/or enjoy it, but make life easier for folks like me, as well as for those who experience frequent eye strain.

For example, I changed the background from 09090b to 19191c and experienced fewer visual errors. I attached pictures of the edits, as eyedroppers aren't always accurate.

This effect can also be achieved by tweaking text colors, but you may find that to be more complicated than simply adjusting the background.

Thanks for requesting feedback. Cheers!

Screenshot 2024-02-28 195251.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-28 194616.jpg

I really like this colour option @polymorphic2346 to me this is a great compromise.

edit: I'd really appreciate moderators stop merging my posts that are unrelated. I get it if they are related posted 30mins or an hour apart (and I go out of my way to edit/add to posts rather that adding new posts already). But refresh rate in beta and colour scheme are two different things.

• Like 1

overall it still is extrem confusing design, too much unwanted informtion but not that what needed. I.e.  I want a direct and easy way to send a message / correspondence to/with a modder of that I see a mod (maybe because asking for permit, or start a discussion to some issues with him). Currently it needs log time until I fnd a way for such.You should not follow in all bad doing to Windows 11 "improvements" which also forces the user to have new and strange overlays and settings made before are obsolet.

Nexus should be designed for PC, not for Smartphone

this avatar on every mod even if I have called the mod's list of the modder in case, is massive disturbing. The avatar at top of the modder's list is all neede all other is overstressing the visitor.

Also for me the problem is that I want to have an option to checkmark what games I like and nothing to see for other games. You always stress the visitor with unwanted informations, propaganda, like sales promotion. terrible.

A registered and looged in user should be free from such (or will be your next step same as lot of websides have, the alternative between "pay" or "see ads". So your dooing looks now.)

• Like 2

I decided to do some research to show how the beta is being taken just by the feedback in this post so far. When I did the analytics I rounded up so FYI the numbers aren't perfect.

• 59% of this thread is giving feedback/suggestions, still asking questions and/or showing dislike for the beta. 
  • 42% "Like" the beta but 14% of those still has the same concerns are the other group.
  • 36% of the all posters concerns are the same 5-6 issues. But so far devs/staff have said, or are showing, no plans to change/fix.
  • The beta is slightly more favoured by non-modders compared to modders.

At best you have a spilt community at least for those freely participating and giving feedback to the post. So again please consider the following feedback, it has been repeatedly mentioned by multiple people in this thread. Though I am advocating these similar concerns (again), know that I am simply summarizing what has already been asked for repeatedly, this is not about what I am asking for, this is what about 36% of the participants' top concerns are.

• Convert back to/stay Classic (I know not possible but consider it to amplifying the top wants below)
  • Fix High Contrast (Difficulty to Read/Eye Complaints)
  • Bring 5 tiles back (and in some cases some asked for more)
  • Fix Wasted Space
  • Fix Oversized/Too Big UI
  • No Endless Scrolling
deleted unrelated post that was merged into this one by moderators
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, HollownessDevoured said:

At best you have a spilt community at least for those freely participating and giving feedback to the post.

I like all your mentioned points, its like we are turning circles. Nothing will change at this rate for me. Its very disappointing. You can mod a simple wikimedia far easier and foremost, faster! It takes month to change the color UI? Seriously?

Nexusmods old UI is simple and it works. Now with the beta we have font size XXL. For what? Are most games are played on smartphones now?

ALso for what do we need this senseless statistics on the right hand side of the page?

Spoiler

SubNxsMds.thumb.jpg.862a31a9ea934c0fc97e6e13c4b59700.jpg

• Like 4