User Profile and Direct Messaging Improvements Beta

JustThatKing

I absolute love 🥴 that every website detailing the best accessibility guidelines in fact use black fonts on white background on THEIR website!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, polymorphic2346 said:

Edit to add, the text in "about" is in fact white. Screenshot:

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 1.38.20 AM.pngUnless I'm misreading this @mfPixel? The color of this text changed when I poked .prose-lexical in inspector anyway.

Yes, the actual text on the "about me" page and the editor display does look like it is #FFFFFF on a near blackest black. I was rather upset when it was insinuated by both devs/moderators I was counter-productive in the conversation for insisting on this.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NexBeth said:

I absolute love 🥴 that every website detailing the best accessibility guidelines in fact use black fonts on white background on THEIR website!  

Thanks for pointing this out! Because this is another option for NexusMods accessibility as well. if they can't change front end selections that is, which would be preferable for user experience. W3.org and other accessibile sites have support to change text size, font, and colors that appear on your screen via the browser settings (for those that support it. Firefox does great especially paired with the Firefox Color extension). If you can't read their page as it is, you can go into your browser settings and fix that. The site will respond to your preferences. 🥳

ETA you can do this with Nexusmods beta currently, but on my settings, many elements disappear because they are so tightly themed. this site is very complicated and blunt tools like this won't be as effective without built in support. For this reason, I appreciate that the design team is taking time to gather feedback. Hopefully we can get it at least workable for most, if not all of us. ❤️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, polymorphic2346 said:

Thanks for pointing this out! Because this is another option for NexusMods accessibility as well. if they can't change front end selections that is, which would be preferable for user experience. W3.org and other accessibile sites have support to change text size, font, and colors that appear on your screen via the browser settings (for those that support it. Firefox does great especially paired with the Firefox Color extension). If you can't read their page as it is, you can go into your browser settings and fix that. The site will respond to your preferences. 🥳

ETA you can do this with Nexusmods beta currently, but on my settings, many elements disappear because they are so tightly themed. this site is very complicated and blunt tools like this won't be as effective without built in support. For this reason, I appreciate that the design team is taking time to gather feedback. Hopefully we can get it at least workable for most, if not all of us. ❤️

Yes, I attempted to use the EDGE extension.  Recoloring the website would indeed be fairly complicated as I learned (but may make a go of it again once everything is done here).  Nexus has already said that there won't be a change to their current theme direction and they've remained mute on whether there will be any Nexus options for something different.  It was suggested that we use a browser extension to implement our own custom choices.

42 minutes ago, NexBeth said:

Yes, I attempted to use the EDGE extension.  Recoloring the website would indeed be fairly complicated as I learned (but may make a go of it again once everything is done here).  Nexus has already said that there won't be a change to their current theme direction and they've remained mute on whether there will be any Nexus options for something different.  It was suggested that we use a browser extension to implement our own custom choices.

This might come across ignorant but I really do not see the logic of improving accessibility for a group to in turn cause eye pain/strain in another group when you can still have accessibility without causing eye pain/strain. But that is me.

@polymorphic2346

I really wonder about this nexus reluctance on compromising with this theme. Is because it is their colours? That they feel obligated to accommodate only one type of accessibility group over another more? Or my theory is more leaning towards looks better in mobile and just happens to also somewhat check other boxes.

So far it looks like that high contrast can affect those with no known existing eye issues at all but also those with myopia, astigmatism, halation, dyslexic, etc. So saying it is for "accessibility" despite the cost of actually causing pain/discomfort to a variety of people and telling us to figure it out on our own with an extension seems insult to injury.

I mean we don't even have 300 unique posters in this thread yet giving feedback and high contrast issue is a top concern in this thread by about 9% of the posters. Profiles "About me" and it's editor are not a high traffic place; I'd be more interested on the response when this hits mod pages/articles. I think the bump of high contrast complaints will rise and get worse as those are force to stare at it for hours setting up mod description pages and articles. But it may never actually be a majority group but it will most likely be noticed by actual modders stuck editing these high contrast edit pages. I just hope it is fixed/compromised out before forced on us.

This really grinds my gears "to go more mobile focused" on a site that you need a PC to upload/download the mods... but I am not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet. Some people will not notice the eye strain unless they have previous bad experiences with it or spend enough time on those pages to notice discomfort. And a compromise can accommodate both concerns pretty easily; it is not like a re-coding nightmare to fix/adjust the CSS when enough people complain.

But I will be very disappointed if the complaining group over the high contrast increases to 15% or more of the feedback and still no compromise is made. I think even if it was only 5% of nexus modders complaining; I think a compromise would still be more than reasonable over something actually causing pain. The fact they straight up said no—is frankly insulting as a modder. I feel forced from the site due to the high contrast and by saying "figure it out with an extension" as their response feels like salt on the wound. 

Sorry I didn't intend for this to turn into a rant XD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to report this, but one of the people I follow in the Image Share forums has consistently had a bug when I view the profile in which none of the images show up. I get a status update that this user has two new images, but the website never shows any of the images from the profile. [Edit for clarity: This is not just today. I've been noticing it for at least a week or two.]

Screenshot:

NexusProfileBug.thumb.jpg.a481cf59f6d882ff055cb0c46b47952b.jpg

I've tested changing the sorting options or clicking only certain types of image types to see if it was merely an issue with the combination, but this user's profile always has this problem.

I also thought of sending a PM to the user, but I figured that would just add an unnecessary layer of steps as I don't see what that user can do to fix the issue 🙂

Follow up to above bug report:

On a hunch I switched out of Beta mode and into Classic mode, and that user's images all showed up. But I noticed the user has two videos set to Private.

I suspect the Beta version of the profile bugs out if there's something, like those videos, which it cannot display.

14 hours ago, Karna5 said:

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to report this, but one of the people I follow in the Image Share forums has consistently had a bug when I view the profile in which none of the images show up. I get a status update that this user has two new images, but the website never shows any of the images from the profile. [Edit for clarity: This is not just today. I've been noticing it for at least a week or two.]

Screenshot:

Hide contents

NexusProfileBug.thumb.jpg.a481cf59f6d882ff055cb0c46b47952b.jpg

I've tested changing the sorting options or clicking only certain types of image types to see if it was merely an issue with the combination, but this user's profile always has this problem.

I also thought of sending a PM to the user, but I figured that would just add an unnecessary layer of steps as I don't see what that user can do to fix the issue 🙂

Looks like there's something wrong with that user's profile specifically. I can see images on other profiles. 

https://next.nexusmods.com/profile/jerire65/media?sortBy=new

• Like 1