No Mods Players

Fkemman11

When did this become derogatory of people who don't use mods?

It's common advice even on this site that people playing a game for the first time should try it out "vanilla".  And many people only play a game once, so adding mods on a second playthrough just isn't an option.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, showler said:

When did this become derogatory of people who don't use mods?

It's common advice even on this site that people playing a game for the first time should try it out "vanilla".  And many people only play a game once, so adding mods on a second playthrough just isn't an option.

Not meant to be derogatory. Just kinda surprising that folks will pass up FREE content...

And yes, it is good practice to play a while vanilla, and from there, decide what you want to change.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HeyYou said:

It's actually really surprising how few people actually mod their games.....

It really is. And yes.... sometimes the mods are just as good or better than content the devs released. But the whole point I'm making is why play exactly what the devs intended if you don't have to? I paid for the game for my entertainment and I'll use/make whatever is legally permissible to get the most out of it if I feel like it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fkemman11 said:

It really is. And yes.... sometimes the mods are just as good or better than content the devs released. But the whole point I'm making is why play exactly what the devs intended if you don't have to? I paid for the game for my entertainment and I'll use/make whatever is legally permissible to get the most out of it if I feel like it.

Maybe it's us????? Nah....... 😄

On 3/23/2024 at 8:52 AM, showler said:

The vast majority of Beth game players do not use mods.

Well, considering that the majority of Bethesda's players are on "consoles", coupled with the reality that Bethesda has only released two of its vast stable on consoles to be played with mods, this is one of those meaningless statistics, like "the vast majority of automobiles run on petrochemicals". 

On 3/23/2024 at 5:43 PM, Fkemman11 said:

I'm thinking maybe there's a modding "bug" that bites some ppl, but not all. Like, I can't even imagine liking every vanilla game so much that I won't even consider looking at or using mods.

Hello, my friend 🙂

There may be something to this. I remember back in 1981 when the "Wizardry" game came out (an amazing and ground breaking game back then), I got myself a tool that let me hex edit the save game file, and I figured out how to hack my characters to give whatever I wanted. From then on, almost every non-online game I played as soon as I was an hour or two into the game I spent time hex editing the memory looking for how to cheat. I don't use nor have Cheat Engine. I mean, I literally read the memory in the game looking for patterns and trying to change things.

The hardest game I ever hacked was Eye of the Beholder 2 because the game wasn't in Hex. It was in a different base number, so I had to look for patterns, figure out what the number would be based on an offset (in my head) and then decide if it's what I was trying to change.

Eventually when Fallout 4 came out, and we got tools like BodySlide and Outfit Studio, FO4Edit, BA2 Archive Extractor, Material Editor, etc., it was just another extension of changing the game, something I've been doing for 43 years now.

I got the bug in 1981, and modding is just an extension of hacking. On a related note, my ability to think and read hex led me into getting a job as software designer and programmer in ANSI C/C++ even though I didn't go to school for it (I tried to take classes in college for programming, but the classes were sooooooo boring). For 18 1/2 years I was a lead designer and programmer writing encryption, hardware drivers, ATM software and tons more (until I lost my job to blindness around 9 years ago).

With regard to modding games in general, I think a lot of people think it's too hard, so they don't try. For instance, my girlfriend never mods games. But sometimes she asks me to mod her games for her. I think a lot of people might be that way.

As for cheating in single player games? I disdain the notion, and I pity the fool (said in jest) who thinks it's cheating to make a single player game the way you want it instead of the way someone else envisioned it should be.

Online games are another story. People who cheat in online games are [pick a bad expletive].

• Like 1