What's the ETA on being able to SEARCH the Mod Page Comments again????

Before the Website change over, we used to be able to click the FORUM VIEW (Or View Forum Thread) button above the comment section of all the mod pages, and do a forum search, which made it super easy to search pages and pages of comments in order to quickly find comments that showed how to set up a mod, or fix a missing texture in a mod etc...

Now that ability is gone, and we have to slog through (sometimes) 100s of pages of comments to find a particular helpful/useful comment.

When is the ability of Searching the Comment Section coming back, this was an INVALUABLE TOOL. that is currently gone, rendering the comment sections useless.

• Like 1

I agree.  It's been long enough.  Not having this ability is crippling.

• Like 1

Essentially, this question is equivalent to: "What's the ETA on converting all the comments sections for all the mods on the site to the new format/system that Collections currently uses?"

Because that's the prerequisite for restoring a way to search those comments.

And that's probably as big a job as converting the forums was last November.  Or bigger.  And far more disruptive to the main site.

As much as I'd love to see that search come back, I'm not surprised that they want to get everything else done and iron out the kinks before they open that can of sandworms.

• Like 2

Mod comment search is being worked on. We had to shuffle some things around in terms of priority but it definitely hasn't been forgotten. 

The original plan was to move mod comments to the new system used by collections, but that's going to take longer than we thought so we're going to look at a quicker to implement (temporary) workaround.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pickysaurus said:

Mod comment search is being worked on. We had to shuffle some things around in terms of priority but it definitely hasn't been forgotten. 

The original plan was to move mod comments to the new system used by collections, but that's going to take longer than we thought so we're going to look at a quicker to implement (temporary) workaround.

Thanks for the reply.

I really hope this comes about soon, because there's a veritable GOLD MINE of info, troubleshooting tips, Mod Setups, Load order tips, "how to get an old mod working tips" etc for Classics like Morrowind, and Oblivion etc hidden in those comment sections.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pickysaurus said:

Hopefully not the kind that will be a pain in the backend if it becomes more permanent than planned. 🙂

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pickysaurus said:

That format collapses comment threads by default.  Hopefully this won't be the case going forward, as a quick scan is impossible like that.  At least please make expanded comments as the default, an option.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 5:57 PM, HadToRegister said:

Thanks for the reply.

I really hope this comes about soon, because there's a veritable GOLD MINE of info, troubleshooting tips, Mod Setups, Load order tips, "how to get an old mod working tips" etc for Classics like Morrowind, and Oblivion etc hidden in those comment sections.

Yes, it'll be soon. The team working on it have been a deadline in the next month and although some slippage is possible I'm expecting it to be met.

On 6/23/2024 at 12:46 PM, Zanderat said:

That format collapses comment threads by default.  Hopefully this won't be the case going forward, as a quick scan is impossible like that.  At least please make expanded comments as the default, an option.

The collapse is fairly generous on how much content is shown before it cuts off. It's set to 20 lines of text at the moment, here are some fairly good examples:

https://next.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/collections/9zfscf?tab=comments&commentId=107114

https://next.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/collections/9zfscf?tab=comments&commentId=106736

With that in mind, do you still feel an option to auto-expand is needed?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iluviel said:

The collapse is fairly generous on how much content is shown before it cuts off. It's set to 20 lines of text at the moment, here are some fairly good examples:

https://next.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/collections/9zfscf?tab=comments&commentId=107114

https://next.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/collections/9zfscf?tab=comments&commentId=106736

With that in mind, do you still feel an option to auto-expand is needed?

I think Zanderat is referring to replies being collapsed by default (i.e. the child comments are not shown, only the parents). I'm basing this on what they've said every time the new comment system has been mentioned in regards to mods. 

• Like 1

Yes.  This makes for difficult scanning at a glance.  Often there are good tidbits in the replies that can be easily missed.  Also, it's a pain to have to manually expand the comments for each post.  Here is the first link from the above post.

image.thumb.png.ad6467596b42524f02e8c85a3d218244.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1