WIP Elf Children

Hallgarth

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Ok, here comes a long post, sorry everyone)

Hi, you left an answer in a topic I created looking for mods with more racial posibilities in adoption that where simpler than Xvision and all of thoses. I also mentioned in there My Little Kahjit, My Little Hatchling and the Khajit girl mod I think and you linked me here. First of all, great idea and is looking like your taking your time to worked out before releasing an unfinish job, and for that I take my hat off, too many buggie and ugly children mods and this one seems to be the one that would finally bring the feature in the better form.

Since I mentioned those mods, and if I can make a suggestion (I hate to make suggestion since it´s your work, but it´s just something I think could benefit the mod) those mods (the kahjit ones, the boy and the girl) had separated files, one would overwrite an existing NPC and the other would add the new NPC.

PERSONALLY I allways tough that the kids in the orphanage should be the ones that are more emmm..."ethnic", I don´t even know if that´s how should I say it, being from another race, and the kids leaving in strees as well. It fits the Skyrim mood of racism in the air that you can breathe almost everywhere. Having Samule turned into a Khajit that nobody will ever adopt in the orphanage because he´s a kahjit made a lot of sense to me, more than the blondie breton never getting adopted. It sounds so stupid but I think is one of those really inmersive details, and I think that if you find the way to make it work, it could be awesome, like for instance: Why is Sofie, a Nord daughter of a Stormcloak soldier sleeping alone in the Grey Quarter in Whindhelm of all towns??? Makes no friking sense, but if she were a Dark Elf and had that line about his father being a stormcloak...Or Alesan, that Redguard kid sleeping in the floor of a tavern in Dawnstar, could fit an Orc kid perfectly seeing as he basically works in the mines. And again, the kids in the orphanage are pretty much a good target to turn into other races, i do believe that except for Samuel in My Little Kahjit mod none of them is associated with another mod.

I have no idea how the authors of those mods made that but it´s amazing, and it also helps to not add more NPC childrens around for all of us that can´t afford to add a thousand more NPCs with mods with not that much powerfull computers. And another thing those mods got right i do believe was by adding each of the kids a different outfit, like the Khajit kid is dressed as a farmer and is very attached to his hat, or the Argonian is dressed like a sailor since that´s what he is when you encounter him.

Anyway, sorry again for the long post, and I hope I didn´t bother to much with the suggestions. Looking forward to download this mod as soon as I see it released, I have entirelly stop playing one of my characters hooing for something like this to come out and finally have my wood elf adopt actual elf and none of those friking racist nords or those sell out bretons. All vanilla skyrim kids are basically likelly haters of my own elves children in the future, f*#@ them.

PD: Since I have speak so much about the kids in Skyrim...I need to say this: THOSE VANILLA REDGUARD KIDS ARE f*#@ING WHITE!!! There, I feel better now.

Will this in any way be compatible with RS children?

At this moment in time, no. I'm also going for a completely different approach. I'm not trying to make something flashy, just give the races a child version that fit in with an unmodified vanilla Skyrim

I would recommend you make a version without changing vanilla kids, only adding new variants of elven, orcis, khajit and argonian brats. So that mod was fully compatible with any children mod.

Will this in any way be compatible with RS children?

At this moment in time, no. I'm also going for a completely different approach. I'm not trying to make something flashy, just give the races a child version that fit in with an unmodified vanilla Skyrim

I would recommend you make a version without changing vanilla kids, only adding new variants of elven, orcis, khajit and argonian brats. So that mod was fully compatible with any children mod.

Unfortunately it's not quite that simple. If for instance if a children mod use a different bodytype and change the default body meshes, then the mods won't be compatible due to mine using vanilla assets. This mod will only be really compatible with mods that use vanilla assets. I would have to separate the Elven childrens bodies completely from the human children's, and that could easily become a nightmare. What this would mean is I would have to make two separate mods, and essentially start the esp entirely from scratch.

That said, I might take a look at how difficult and tedious it would be to do.

Further news, is that I might scrap the beast race children. So far, I've made them look like small adults with big heads. I suppose I could as permission from the mod author of the khajiit and Argonian children, but the assets aren't entirely theirs, so I could end up going through a long chain of permission asking. It might be best if I leave them out and just work on making it compatible with those mods.

Edited by Hallgarth

• 2 weeks later...

Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ROCK. I wanted to do this, but man I hadnt a clue how to do it. Man you did it! You are the best!

You deserve this!

Can you perhaps write a tutorial on how you're doing these head morphs and everything else? I think it would be great knowledge for the community. Edited by shingouki2002

• 3 weeks later...

It has been long since anything have been posted about this. I don't know if you still working on it even (I'm sure you are though.) I just want to let you know we still wish you good luck. If something came up like school or work, I hope you do a good job at it in the main time.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of posts on this. Truth is I burned out on making it. I don't really want to abandon it, so if it comes to it, I won't let all the assets I made rot on my harddrive, I will upload it either as a WIP or just as assets with the hope someone pics it up and finishes it.

Perhaps I need a bit of inspiration, or maybe it was just that making this mod turned out to be more difficult and time consuming than I had originally expected. I hit setbacks with the facial morphs, had RS children overhaul be released and tried and failed to change the way the children were lit, attempting to make the normal maps more like the way the adults ones were done, requests to make it compatible with RS children overhaul, realising that I'd have to have new VO's specifically for the Orc children. All of this together kinda knocked the wind out of my sails as it's more work than the free time I have available to me allows.

I'm going to try and pic this back up once I've got the next update out for another one of my mods. My goal is to get something out, then perhaps try and get some help on it to make it good.

Sometimes you have to take a break & re-assess. To be honest, I wasn't overly impressed with the RS overhaul. To me it still made the children look the same - just a different version of the same. The same can be said of TK children, Xvision, children of the sky, etc. The one thing your mod had going for it that I was looking forward to was that it was going to give us an option for non-human & beast children, which really hasn't been done except for the khajit & arigonian mods, which are pointless if you don't plan on adopting them.

Based on the pictures you've posted, there are a lot of people who would greatly appreciate your work. But maybe some of the suggestions people have made can help you out. It's probably not a bad idea to ignore all the vanilla children in the game, & instead concentrate on the one thing nobody else has bothered to do when making a children overhaul - add in the non-human & beast race children. Also, you have a ton of awesome ideas, but it may be hard trying to combine them all into a single mod. Maybe it's not a bad idea to add non-human & beast children as one mod, add in custom voices in another mod, & custom clothing for children as yet another mod. At least you'll have a sense of accomplishment that you've finished something before tackling the next thing.

In reference to what you stated above, wouldn't it be fairly easy to copy the vanilla assets that you are using to create the elven/orc children, etc. & simply give those assets new names so that if someone does use an overhaul for vanilla children that it won't have any effect on the elven/orcish etc. children you created? Wouldn't this in effect create new races, even though they would appear to have the same vanilla assets? You would know way better than me, since you're the one digging around in there, but I thought it was worth asking.

I know I haven't posted here before, but I've been following along, & I am really looking forward to see your work in-game. I'm currently working on a boarding school mod, & would love to be able to have some non-human & beast children roaming around & playing with the other kids. I also have an idea for an overhaul of the orphanage questline that I can't do until someone creates decent non-human & beast race children assets to work with. Maybe this is something that could be worked on together along with some other modders that are interested as well.

I wish you the best, & hope to see the efforts of your mod in my playthrough very soon :)

Good Luck!