WIP Elf Children

Hallgarth

I wouldn't worry too much about making it compatible, sometimes players have to make a choice between Mod A and Mod B.

As for beast races I would go ahead and just use the adult head and body for the male and the adult head and a modified body for the female.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have to make it work with RS children. Just don't change the human races. You have the full right to not work on it anymore if you wish. You have already made a great job and with those kids only as assets only is it amazing. Pat yourself on the back and look up at what you made. You made amazing looking kids. The orcs kids look better than nords for god sake.

Hey, for what it's worth, Elf children being added to the game is something many people have hoped for and I myself have been looking for a decent option for for months :)

currently there are two options available that will add dunmer child assets.

The first is an elf children mod for xvision children, its based on the drow race mod and creates horrible, poor quality anime elves that look completely out of place in a lore correct game.

The second is SkyKids, the assets used for this are not terrible, but the textures and models definitely need a lot of work, however it doesn't actually add any non human children to the game and nobody has done an expansion that adds any as of yet.

Then there are two mods that may or may not be getting worked on currently.

The first is yours, which looks like it'd fit in well with the base games children (because you used them as a basis)

the second is an expansion for RS Children that Nanabeats was working on (Linky) however I don't know if she is.

as far as the base children are concerned, I think with the work you've been doing this mod would be an excellent option for anyone that wants a 'full' child overhaul rather than just a fancy overhaul of the human children already in game.

I understand your issues as far as making what you're working on compatible with RS Children, the two are very different styles and for your elf and orc children to fit in with that mod, they would need to change a lot, which is, in my opinion, really not worth it!

I would have one suggestion concerning the mer children though, perhaps look at making their faces a fraction slimmer than they are currently, that would probably help make them look a little more distinct from the human children. :)

for voices, have you considered asking over at the Tes Renewal site? I know that they've been doing voice additions for the Skywind mod and you might find someone over there might be more than happy to help (especially if you're in turn happy for them to use what you've made eventually!)

I do think you might find a good way to help motivate yourself might be to release this in stages, release a version that replaces the base npcs in the game as an ALPHA build, helps get some feedback that way, then add the other features as and when they're ready as updates. It'll surely help with the feeling of accomplishment and will surely help with gathering feedback and maybe even finding some other people to help with it!

The less fun prospect might be the creation of patches for the more common mods... (expanded towns and cities, inconsequential npcs, interesting npcs, wyrmstooth and falskaar, I believe are the ones most people are likely to 'expect') but perhaps if anyone was willing to help out in that regard you might be able to get a bit of help from someone else in creating those patches ready for when you're happy to release a beta release!

Anyway, good luck, I hope this mod does come out, it looks great :)

Okay, I've put one foot in front of the other and have taken a look at the mod. From where I'm at, it will have to be a full child overhaul, but without beast races (Just not skilled enough to make them work without looking like small adult khajiits/argonians with big heads.) I have altered every child in the game, so to just make this an elven children overhaul would mean starting the esp from scratch and I don't really feel like doing that.

I have given them a new custom skeleton, which is just the default skeleton with slightly bigger head and hands (except the orc children). Not too much though, as I don't want them to look like bobble-heads. My plan is to add a few elven children to the cities that have elves in them and orcs to the strongholds. Then I'll release an esm as a WIP.

This will be a vanilla styled child mod, and the default textures will be in line with those that are vanilla except darker without as much saturation, with higher resolutions as addons. This mod will make the Redguard kids actually dark skinned and not the slightly tanned white skin you see in vanilla.

I'm also not going for the approach I've seen others do. The children will hopefully actually look like children and not strange small adults as some (not all) do. Also Babette isn't going to be some pretty girl, she's going to LOOK like a vampire child. Like she could kill a man like she discusses with the others when you first join the DB.

Not cute. instead, slightly scary.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u256/zoidgarth/babette.jpg

I'll get something out and see where it goes from there.

Edited by Hallgarth

I got the brows working, so I should be able to give them brow selections. They'll use the same texture as the adult female, because the male brows are too thick. Now, the issue is that I have to create each morph manually, which means moving each vertices individually (113 per morph). Luckily, I can use the "snap" feature to snap each one into place by loading up the childhead.tri with my childbrow.tri and match each morph. I'll see how long it takes, but so far it looks promising. If it doesn't take too long, I might tri the face next so I can try scars. But that depends on how I feel after doing all the brow morphs.

As for anyone helping. I'm not sure right now. I don't think there's anything anyone can assist with at this moment, unless there's something I haven't thought of.

i know you mentioned that making children adoptable would require a hearthfire patch post release, if you were able to provide the esm without any of the fancy visual work you're doing (so presumably whatever the default settings for your children per race are) then someone else could look at making the changes to add adoption dialogue and anything like that thats needed? Patches for stuff like interesting npcs/inconsequential npcs can't be done till after the fancy visual work as the whole point there is to replace those mods children with kids using your work. If the children have any dialogue attached to them, then if there are interested voice actors, they could do the voices.

I guess thats probably about it though as I assume you've already decided where various children will be added :)

Hey everybody. You know a few pages back I said I was going to have to ditch the eyes up/down, forward/back wide/narrow. Well I fixed it. I discovered what the problem was.

Here's a indication of what the morphs are called.

MoodSad [10]

DialogueFear [11]

MoodPuzzled [12]

LookDown (6) number is an example.

Now I noticed that some of the morphs had () brackets instead of [] So I changed them all to have [] brackets with no duplicate numbers and the eyes no longer pop out of the head.

Edit:

In simple terms, the morphs were mislabelled, causing issues.

Edited by Hallgarth