Downloading issues update

Dark0ne

In response to post #16879369.

I know for a fact you can put a virus and a jpeg though, so textures aren't entirely safe.

That's a bug in the jpeg header and the way some programs process it. A dds file doesn't have the same vulnerability.

Not that you shouldn't check them anyway. Just sayin'.

Edited by Yukichigai

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #16890289.

Not to mention most of these "hackers" aren't that sophisticated. Scan executables and libraries and I guarantee you stop 99%* of security threats.

*Pulled out of my ass, but you get the idea.

In response to post #16759139.

I have as much, if not more fun modding the game as I do playing it...;) Easily, tinkering with the mods is half the fun for me...;) I'm still somewhat in awe of how much the right mods improve the game visually (and otherwise) over the vanilla.

And now that the virus scan issue is resolved, we're back to the same issue as before. Overloaded servers. Just goes to show that getting rid of the ability to choose servers wasn't the cause of anything. Edited by SkepticalJoker

In response to post #16954884.

No, the only thing I can think of is that the update was corrupted when it was downloaded, that has happened to me once. Just uninstall and make sure none of the folders get deleted, then come back here and download a new version.
Good Luck

lol when doesn't this site have issues. hence why i avoid using it at all costs, and they will never ever get my money again :) even when i was premium i had issues, part of the problem is they expanded WAY too fast, look at all the games this site covers all of a sudden. they might as well be putting magnets on their servers

In response to post #16879369. #16889529 is also a reply to the same post.

A jpg with a virus is a malformed jpg and is in and by itself harmless. The danger lies in the program processing it.
This was also talked about some time back when it came to mp3s. And the same applied here.

If the player/viewer stops when the data makes no sence it can't do any damage. And If I remember right in both cases the trick was to get a buffer overun in the player/viewer and then when the program crashed, the code in the mp3/jpg got triggered.
This nevercaught on, so I don't think you really have to be afraid of that old that angle anymore, as programmers are
way more aware of technic today than in the Win9x era.

I haven't googled this but taken it from old memory so its a little diffused. Anyway I think in both cases it was microsoft players/viewers that botched and where attacked. Todays player/viewer from microsoft doesn't have those security glitches.

If you want to turn the security up a little, in Windows turn of Windows habit of hiding the true extensions of a file. Its the first thing I turn of in Windows everytime I install it. Edited by GenRabbit