Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the intent here. I get why not only Bethesda, but modders would do it. For someone like Chesko, whose indie game unfortunately stalled but has a huge mod following, it initially seems like a way to finally make a living doing what you love. Once you think about it though, it becomes apparent that it's a mistake. To paraphrase the wise Mr. Ehrmantraut, you're taking a half measure when you should be using a full measure.

If you want to make a living making games, this isn't the answer. Either polish up the ol' portfolio site and apply to a job at a developer, or go make your own game.

These are riskier options, of course. What if you don't get hired? What if your game flops or never comes to fruition? It's scary to think about. Everyone fears failure, that's natural. But what if you make it? Think of how much sweeter it will be if YOUR original game is played by thousands of people? If you've reached the point as a modder where you want to start doing this as a living, then it's time to step outside the safety of modding and take a go at one of the two options I listed above. Just go for it.

No more half measures.

In response to post #24570139. #24570174 is also a reply to the same post.

Uranium - 235 wrote:
boulegue wrote: its no question ask return policy....

Even better.

Christ who the f*#@ ever would've thought MOD PIRACY would be a thing.

Capitalism destroys yet another beautiful thing. Edited by Uranium - 235

There's so many things wrong with this that I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around the rationale.

How are they going to deal with incompatibility issues down the line? Or outdated mods once an update comes out? Or just plain buggy/broken mods? Or mods that just don't work with other mods? Or mods that rely on other mods to even work? I could name a million different problems that could occur, but chances are Valve is just going to shrug their shoulders, slap on some shades, and say 'deal with it'. Then there's the fact that they're taking a 75% cut, which is just bizarre. What magical service does Valve provide that they think they're entitled to 75% of whatever potential profit(which isn't going to be much in the first place, as their best hope is pretty much rich kids starting up babby's first skyrim run)?

A donation option would have made so much more f***ing sense, but I guess Valve prefers a shortsighted cash grab attempt to a long term investment plan.

Edited by Paradosi

In response to post #24569549. #24569809, #24570164 are all replies on the same post.

RavegedPyro wrote:
boulegue wrote: there already is one (i didnt know about it until today either) but not all modders mod for fun...
killerkerberos6 wrote: My issue is that I like mods because a lot of them -though not all- are the size of small DLC, but free. Now we'll probably get nickle and dimed after we purchase the game not only through DLC, but mods as well.

They were my only safe haven for extra content for a game without having to shell out more money after buying a $60 game that had the content of a 10 year old $15 game.

Now see, if it were a very polished mod that's the size of an expansion, then yeah I'll chip in. But, no way in hell am I buying an armor set for $5. I already stay away from that crap when it comes to DLC that comes out alongside the game, I don't need more of that in the mod scene too.

enderal & the TESrenewal stuff will stay free cheesko says in his letter to the community that he will release all his mods on the nexus for free after a certain period of time.... so if you cant pay with money you can pay with time

i don't think many big DLC sized mods will be released on the workshop it'll be a giant pain in the ass since everyone who worked on the mod be it writer, coder, artist, VA..... will be entitled to a share and with a 25% share thats probably more work then worth doing

In response to post #24569829.

DoverWolf wrote:

Oh there once was a modder named Greedy the Pig
Who came riding to Steam Workshop from ole Nexus Mods

(pause)

And the greedy pig did swagger and brandish his goods
As he told of great mods and dlc's he had made

(longer pause)

But then he went quiet, did Greedy the Pig
When he met the Sane Customer, who said;

(shorter pause)

"Oh, you talk and you lie and you charge ridiculous prices
Now I think it's high time that you sit down and bleed profits!"

(pause)

And so then came clashing and slashing of wits
As the brave Sane Customers charged in, full of zeal

(pause)

And the braggart named Greedy the Pig was modding no more-
When his ugly name was blacklisted around on the internet!

Donations ya, pay to play no. It will only lead to the inevitable outcome of people stealing work and putting it somewhere for free. I'm all for modders making money for their fantastic work but I don't think this is the way it's gonna happen.