Crash To Desktop (CTD) Cure-All

BlindLookout

Instead of deleting everything in the Data folder, it is best to copy everything elsewhere first. This will enable you to restore what might be lost much easier, and faster than downloading everything from Steam again. Second thing is once it's copied, you can delete things to your heart's content, or do whatever else you want. This should have been made clear in the first place. I don't recommend just deleting everything, and then only restoring from scratch. I recommend moving, archiving, etc. before deleting.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of deleting everything in the Data folder, it is best to copy everything elsewhere first. This will enable you to restore what might be lost much easier, and faster than downloading everything from Steam again. Second thing is once it's copied, you can delete things to your heart's content, or do whatever else you want. This should have been made clear in the first place. I don't recommend just deleting everything, and then only restoring from scratch. I recommend moving, archiving, etc. before deleting.

i wish i had read this post before i wiped my data folder. it took me 3 days to install FO4 cause of crappy net, now i have to reinstall it all over again lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

A mod shouldn't be able to crash the game. Produce some error, sure, but if a mod can crash the game, the game architecture is broken.

It'd be a thing if a browser extension could crash the browser. Hint: it can't. It fundamentally can't.

A mod shouldn't be able to crash the game. Produce some error, sure, but if a mod can crash the game, the game architecture is broken.

A badly made or poorly tested mod can. Aside from that, mods themselves don't crash the game.

Installing mods that conflict with each other without the user attempting to resolve the conflict, badly organized load orders, and removing mods on an existing save/playthrough can cause CTD's.

• 7 months later...

lol, so get a ctd at creation of character so decided to try this as I am desperate! I heard f4se does not like looks menu and will not work at all if it is around :tongue:

I do not have a "string folder" but assumed you meant "scripts" so deleted all but those 2 and am verifying files...

and I am using Vortex, tried it hoping it would not ctd... but still does so....

it needs to replace 27 gigs so maybe I did not do it right? It is still downloading it but wanted to see if others had to replace so much too and if others have a script instead of a strings folder....

thanks!

update, it seemed to work when I loaded an unmodded game and moved around but when I installed (using vortex) commonwealth cuts hair, the eyes or perfection, zellas hair dye, red lipstick (replaces lipstick 15) and cbbe curvy body... crashes right when I hit "done" at character creation....

It is weird because I have a screenshot taken where I managed to get her created but then I added more mods and it crashed...

ugh, so love/hate Bethesda games!!!!

how do we roll back to when these mods worked?

Edited by Maria de Chirikof