Crash To Desktop (CTD) Cure-All

BlindLookout

This wont be everyones issue but im sure its pretty common, and like troubleshooting mods its pretty time consuming.

I realized that I had some of the same mods installed on both the in game mods and installs from vortex and noticed that when I would disable mods from vortex the data files would stay in the data folder causing conflicts and forcing CTD. So i went to the nexus and downloaded all my mods from nexus and cross checked the data files that would load when the mod was enabled in vortex with the files that were persistent and deleted the redundancies.

*running f4se and most recent game version

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

My game used to CTD so rarely it hardly bothered me. Now it does it every load - cannot play. I assumed the risk when I installed my first mod.

I am going to say this guy who said to delete everything didn't mean to cause any trouble, and when I tried his suggestion, I had moved files out to another folder on the same drive - JIC. Sadly it didn't fix anything. Neither did the "PCB" command. Neither did unchecking all my active mods. I believe it has something to do with overclocking, because the mods I have installed didn't crash the game when I added them weeks ago. Over time this has become unplayable.

I know the game creator isn't going to fix this issue - they have moved on. Sadly, looks like so many others have too. All this has done is to cause me to not trust mod creators, and sadly, no real patch has been offered.

My game used to CTD so rarely it hardly bothered me. Now it does it every load - cannot play. I assumed the risk when I installed my first mod.

I am going to say this guy who said to delete everything didn't mean to cause any trouble, and when I tried his suggestion, I had moved files out to another folder on the same drive - JIC. Sadly it didn't fix anything. Neither did the "PCB" command. Neither did unchecking all my active mods. I believe it has something to do with overclocking, because the mods I have installed didn't crash the game when I added them weeks ago. Over time this has become unplayable.

I know the game creator isn't going to fix this issue - they have moved on. Sadly, looks like so many others have too. All this has done is to cause me to not trust mod creators, and sadly, no real patch has been offered.

If you are overclocking your machine, and it is causing crashes, how is that in any way mod related?

I run a HEAVILY modified fallout 4, and I only get a crash after playing for SEVERAL hours.... (5 or more.....) and it's usually caused by a game problem. Not a mod created problem.

Your trust is sorely misplaced. It's not the mod authors. Bethesda (the game distributor) has made changes to the way that the game reads file headers in order to improve the amount of ESL based mods that you can have. They've done this, so that they can sell more Creation Club Content, and allow users to expand on the hard coded set limit of 255 mods.

How in the heck can you blame modders for the actions of the company responsible for the game?

Quite a few of the mods worked. Up until the recent update to the game engine. If the game changes, how is that the modder's fault?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This may help.

Infinite load screen could indicate a corrupted file.

If you are having issues with corrupted saves and/or CTD because corrupted saves.

You can check for a corrupted file and possibly fixing it by use ReSave. ReSave is on the Nexus, a must have app.

Another indication if the file size if it is smaller than your other hard saves. Not auto saves or quick saves they are always bigger than hard saves

Check the flies with ReSave and delete all corrupted files. Note: make sure you close and open ReSave before each file checked. It appears that if a file is loaded everything else it checks says they are corrupted even when not.

Delete or move to another folder all saves except the last few uncorrupted saves.

(If needed) Clean save with ReSave, Save as; Cleaned### (### is the save number)

1. Open the last good save or the one just cleaned.

2. Once in Game load the same save again.

3. Once again back in game, Save.

4. Go to 3rd Person.

5. Open Console; Select your character and type kill.

6. Once back in game save and continue playing.

Why this works I have no idea. I found all of this online and I combined several of them into this little procedure. I have been using this procedure for several weeks and it has been working great for me. I have been testing mods a lot the last several months and have corrupted the game saves at times, to a point, that I would have to start a new game every two or three weeks. On top of testing mods to see if I liked them or not I wanted to see how many I could install before the game hard crashed. Right now I’m hovering around 600, and my save just short of 60mb and at level 22. The procedures described above have kept me from having to start the game over; so far, it’s been about five weeks, so far.

Other Discoveries/Tips:

When leaving the new Virtual Workshop my camera view got stuck above my char, couldn’t move. To fix I found by typing tfc in console, which I could still use, then aim my weapon, I would be back to normal. I could not duplicate the bug at all after that time. It seamed that leaving the pod put me in some kind of Partial Free Cam and when I typed in tfc it place my view looking up from the floor at my character and I could still move the character but once I aimed my gun I went back to normal first person. Just weird or Bethesda being Bethesda.

Low fps, first try restarting or shutdown the computer and then restart the game. If you are using F4SE start steam first (if you are using it) before you start the game.

• 7 months later...

All folders are still there for me after uninstalling all mods with only one file in most of them: "_folder_managed_by_vortex" with no file name extensions, and when I try and delete the folders they just reappear with the same "folder managed by" files in them. Including one for Nuclear Winter which I unistalled and don't use anymore