Crash To Desktop (CTD) Cure-All

BlindLookout

Hey everybody,

I was getting occasional crashes that became more and more frequent until there was just no way to play the game at all, barring reverting back to the original INIs... which meant, of course, no mods.

Eventually, after a lot of pain and suffering (and re-downloads and re-installs) I worked out what was happening and how to fix it. Here's the step-by-step:

1. Open NMM
  2. Click on each mod, one at a time, and click the icon on the left to "Disable" it.
  3. Go to Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data
  4. It should ONLY have TWO FOLDERS: Video and Strings... so delete anything else that might have been left over. This is what's been crashing your game.
  5. Launch Fallout 4 and load a few games just to make sure it isn't crashing.
  6. Quit Fallout 4.
  7. In NMM, reinstall just a few of your mods and then load your games, make sure they aren't crashing.
  8. Repeat the last step until you're back up and running.

This is generally going to do it. Here are a few things others have suggested that you can also try if the above doesn't work:

• Run FOMM to sort the load order and get a sense of any known conflicts.
  • Check your mods for compatibility patches.
  • Load a previous game, make sure it's not just a corrupted save file.
  • Sleep for a week in-game, let all the cells reset themselves.
  • In Steam, right-click on Fallout 4, go to Properties, and tell it to Verify the Cache... it usually finds a file or two that was "corrupted" (NOTE: you'll have to re-do your settings and re-customize your INIs if you do this!)
  • Uninstall / Reinstall

Let me know if any of the above works for you, or if you have more ideas on Fallout 4 troubleshooting!

Funny, I fell for that one, just lost 23 gigs of data...which means I can't play the game for two months now. due to country internet

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, I fell for that one, just lost 23 gigs of data...which means I can't play the game for two months now. due to country internet

This suggests that you also deleted the ba2 files in the data folder, which this guide never told you to delete.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I just bought the game the other day when the Steam sale started. I've been playing it on PS4 up until now so I was eager to try some mods, but since it's been crashing, I have disabled all of them. It doesn't seem to crash at any specific time or place, just after I've been playing a while. I haven't managed to get through the museum quest in Concord yet.

My laptop isn't that great, but it ran Skyrim just fine. The game set me to the lowest settings which is what I've been using.

So I've got all DLC, no mods (I was running Spring Cleaning, Homemaker, and Better warning for settlements being attacked), I installed F4SE earlier before realizing how big a problem the crashing is, and as I just downloaded it and installed it, I assume I'm running the current version of Fallout and Steam and all that.

Any suggestions?

I did the verify cache files thing and found nothing. Also started a new game and that didn't change anything. I haven't reinstalled yet but I will if I must.

(Initially it seemed to be crashing whenever the game would lose focus, but that doesn't seem to be the case now, and I switched to windowed mode just in case.)

Installing F4SE isn't done to stop crashes but to be able to run mods that make use of Fallout 4 Script Extender. In order for those mods that are dependent on F4SE to work, you need to start the game through the F4SE.exe.

Have a look at Bilago's Configuration tool, which can be set up to use whatever launcher you prefer to start the game with, along with a whole bunch of other tweaks, all gathered under one roof...

Also make sure that you've added the following lines in the Fallout4.ini (located in Documents/My Games/Fallout4) under [Archive]:

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

• 3 weeks later...