Crash To Desktop (CTD) Cure-All

BlindLookout

Well following this did not work , and i didnt have a strings folder there just video ,I only use fallout vanilla with mods, as well as f4se and before anyone asked yes I did the ini the ini for mods deleting anything else there made things worse I couldnt start the game at all after that pfft .... nopt I have re enabled all my mods and re start 2nd playthru again =/

Edited by jaderiver

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if you have no mods at all and never have? This b&@*$ is irritating the hell out of me. It CTDs randomly. I've verified the integrity of the files and deleted the ini files. I haven't adjusted any graphics from the detected settings. I haven't edited ini files.

I5-6600K (OC)

16GB DDR4 3200

Asus Z170 Pro Gamer MB

EGVA GTX-1070 SC (OC)

Running at 1080P 60 Hz

Is over-clocking what's causing this? It's the only game I have any issues with. Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands series, Skyrim, Elite Dangerous, Witcher.. All run fine with no issue.

It's just the engine struggling with things. Have to remember FO4 was made for consoles first and ported to PC (as with most games nowadays).

I'm running an i7, ROG Rampage V, 32GB RAM, GTX980, water-cooled, etc. and it will still CTD, especially in urban areas. Even after spending nearly a month tweaking files, making sure mods aren't conflicting and adjusting settings almost non-stop. There isn't a whole lot you can do about it, sadly. It's the engine's limitations and generally not your PC's.

Courtesy of LordVukodlak. You could try adding this line to Fallout4.ini under the [General] section:

iPreloadSizeLimit=8388608000

That number represents 8GB of your RAM. It's in Bytes, so if you need to make it smaller/larger, be sure to convert GB into Bytes before entering the value.

Also, try reloading a save near where you were crashing. Head near the area, open the console and type "pcb" (without quotations). This is PurgeCellBuffer and will clear the game of any excess data, potentially helping with stutter and slowing-down of the game itself.

Be warned, neither of those are guaranteed.

Edited by H4RDC0R3V1B3Z

Speaking of CTDs, I've had two in a relatively short amount of time. It's quite ridiculous, really. Such an unstable game, yet again. Had exactly the same issues with Skyrim (on PC), that forced me to just throw in the towel. Funny how I hardly ever have problems with any other games except for Fallout and The Elder Scrolls series. Both of which use the same engine. Coincidence? I think not. They really need to step-up their game for the next ones, ditch this awful engine and/or release a PC-specific version to get rid of all this limitations nonsense.

Sometimes it feels like pissing against the wind lol.

EDIT: That's five CTDs today and I'm done. Screw this game. The longer you play, the worse it gets. And nothing you do even makes the slightest bit of sodding difference. Wasted FAR too much time trying to sort this out and haven't even gotten to play properly.

Goodbye Fallout 4. You're a load of s#*!.

Edited by H4RDC0R3V1B3Z

is there an updated version of this?

theres no strings and I deleted everything except for video and have to re download data after verifying integrity cach.

.....What do I do if there's only one folder (Video)?

I was having a similar problem recently where the game would CTD after trying to load a save file from the main menu. It would go to the loading screen and crash just before the actual game started.

I tried the solution that the OP suggested, and unfortunately it failed to resolve my issue. I also lacked the "strings" folder mentioned in the tutorial. Verifying the cache, and deleting and reacquiring the .ini files didn't help either.

After some more trial and error, this is how I fixed the problem:

1. First, I installed F4SE, even though none of my mods specify that it is required (better to be on the safe side), following the instructions in this tutorial.
  2. I installed LOOT and checked to see if my load order was in check. It found a few errors and reorganized the mods into proper load order.
  3. After that I disabled all of my mods in the "plugins" tab by un-ticking the boxes (as opposed to outright uninstalling them). Then I launched Fallout 4 using the F4SE launcher via NMM, and loaded my latest save to make sure it was working normally (which it was).
  4. Then, I proceeded to reactivate my mods one at a time through the plugins tab. After reactivating a single mod, I would launch Fallout 4 again and attempt to load the same save as in step 3. If the save loaded normally, I immediately exited the game and reactivated another mod. I kept repeating this.
  5. After repeating step 4 for some time (I currently have 34 mods installed), I was finally able to discover what had been causing my game to crash (a mod called "Castle Tunnel Restoration"). After deactivating the mod and leaving all the others activated, the game ran normally again and I don't have any issues as of writing this post.

I hope this was useful! Any mod could be causing the game to crash, so it is important to look at each of them.

Sincere regards,

John

I'm going to say it one last time.

Don't use the OP's advice if your experiencing crashes. The post is hopelessly outdated, misleading & full of information that will lead to you wasting your time.

Disabling mods does absolutely nothing to help. The only way to safely find out if a mod (or which one) is causing your CTD is to uninstall every single one, and then re-install one at a time (each time, loading your game to see if it still CTD's)

Do this until you've found the culprit mod and delete it.

If after doing this, you're still experiencing CTD's, then it's likely that the savefile your using is corrupted, in most cases due to installing/uninstalling different mods whilst you've been playing.