Crash To Desktop (CTD) Cure-All

BlindLookout

Hey, having big problems with this solution!! So i uninstalled all the mods, deleted the contents of my data folder, then reinstalled the game and the mods, and now I'm crashing WAY more! I had bethesda.net mods installed, and mods through nexus! now my game basically isn't running! HALP!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, before doing it: in NMM is a option to disable "all mods" now - i think this will also do it?` some1 exxperienced with it?

2nd: i also have installed mods from Bethesda - this is then a bit tricky, difficult to figure out what to delete?

3rd: i dont have the "strings" folder

i need something to do to fix the crashes, sometimes i can play and built and shoot all up for 2-3 hours, then later after a break or playing on another day the game crashes without any error after walking a few steps....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pretty much ever since I got Nuka-World, whether I had just one or two mods running or the roughly 70 I've got going now, if I my game crashed it would be for one of two reasons: 1, infinite loading screen because I was out of memory, or 2, I CTD and look at Papyrus and see that the last full second of running game contains about ten to fifteen instances of:

[ (060379F8)].DLC04:DLC04_GZNukaGalaxySignScript.PlayAnimationAndWait() - "<native>" Line ?
	[ (060379F8)].DLC04:DLC04_GZNukaGalaxySignScript.active.OnTimerGameTime() - "<unknown file>" Line ?
[03/20/2017 - 11:40:35PM] error:  (060379F8): model was not loaded when we tried to play an animation on it (most likely you're calling for animations in OnInit.).

Does anybody know of a way to fix this? I think Nuka-World is fun and I like all the stuff it adds, and I'd hate to have to remove it because my latest save will now CTD with this Papyrus-jamming message about five seconds after I load it. (Also, I paid money for it.)

I don't use NMM, just Wrye Bash and LOOT and WinRAR. I don't have any texture packs or weather packs or overhauls. I don't have any UI changes, aside from KeyNuker and that PA aspect ratio fix because my original PA HUD wouldn't let me see my health bar, and I couldn't pick locks at all because the lock, pin, and screwdriver never showed up on my screen. Basically all the mods I have add more weapons or armor, more stuff to build, let me do more stuff with robots, or give me more/improved settlers.

I'm not sure if it's significant but I've noticed that I can't get near any exterior cell touched by Nuka-World unless I'm in PA. Interior cells are fine, but if I exit my PA in the Nuka worldspace, or anywhere near the transit center (or Reynold's Refuge added by Recruitable Settlers, which is set in the Commonwealth but has some Nuka resources), I CTD instantly.

• 1 month later...

I have just developed the problem of CTD after clicking the continue button on the loading screen. However, the original OP advice seems batcrap crazy. Other than walking away from FO4, are there any solutions?

So far returning to a much earlier save has enabled the game to load again.

I was thinking that FO4 was invulnerable. It only shows how vulnerable we are to Corollary #197 of Murphy's Law of the Perversity of the Universe which states, "Game players will add mods until their game breaks".

The advice given by the OP is actually incorrect and misleading, uninstalling/reinstalling Fallout4 itself should be a last resort.

If the crashes you experience are caused by a mod or mods you use or conflicts between these mods, disabling them in NMM will do nothing to fix that.

Uninstall all your mods, then start a new game. If the problem is gone, then it's safe to say it's an issue related to your mod setup, and you can proceed to reinstall them one at a time to try and find the culprit. If not, then you've narrowed it down to either

possible corrupted vanilla file/s (in Steam, verify game cache)

error in modified .ini file/files (always keep backups of the vanilla .ini files before editing them)

after checking this, if the problem persists then it's likely an issue with your hardware or specific software running at the same time as Fallout4 (make sure you're using the latest drivers for your gpu, and that unnecessary background apps like anti-virus/malware aren't running whilst you play your game (these are known to cause issues/CTD's, as is Steam overlay, and some Nvidia stuff)

When reinstalling all your mods, one at a time, test each new mod installed on a fresh clean un-modded save (just after exiting Vault 111 for the first time is a good place)

Best practises -

Always use L.O.O.T. to manage your load order (although sometimes you'll have to manually move some mods in NMM as L.O.O.T. isn't perfect)

Always read the mod description page of every mod you use, and follow the installation instructions.

Make sure that you're using the latest version of whatever mods you use, as well as any patches or hotfixes that the mod author has provided.

Installing lots of mods at once is just asking for trouble, not recommended. One at a time, then test in-game (first on a clean save to ensure the mod works correctly by itself, then it can be tested with other mods you've installed so you can check for potential conflicts)

If your going to mix and match between mods on Nexus and mods on Beth.net, you'll have to be much more mindful on what your installing.

Keep a backup of your vanilla .ini files, and keep monthly back-ups of altered .ini files.

Have at least one save file from before you started adding mods, keep a backup copy and don't delete it.

The more mods you use, the more likely you are to face issues.

Uninstalling mods during your playthrough can lead to save game corruption/save bloat.

I'd also advise you to look into using FO4Edit in order to mitigate/resolve mod conflicts and/or dirty edits in mods. It's a powerful tool that can save you a lot of trouble - but do your research first to get familiar with it.