Favourite "old" game?

OblivionMajorMODDER

6 hours ago, zixi said:

playing 7kaa. It used to be bundled with Synaptic on Linux

I see it's in the Arch User Repository (which I have easy access to since Manjaro is Arch-based).  Wouldn't surprise me if it's in a few other distros' repos too.

I might try it out sometime, though I always preferred turn-based strategy (e.g., Civilization series) to RTSs.

@AaronOfMpls - It's the only strategy game I play. And I've played it since it was released in 1997. Trevor Chan gave it to the community some time back and it's now maintained by them. They tweak the AI etc from time to time but essentially it's the same game as I played back there in 1997.

I played very early versions of Civilization but got disenchanted with in 2005 when I thought the best thing about the game was Christopher Tin's Baba Yetu -  in fact, I thought the game got in the way of the music so listened to Tin's CD instead... He made some new fans out of that though so perhaps it did some good.

The graphics in 7kaa by today's standard are appalling... The last time myself and some others suggested Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 to someone they came back after about 5 minutes complaining about the quality of the graphics (or actually the lack of quality)... It's left me a bit nervous around the edges. of course, we weren't playing BG1 and 2 for the graphics so we couldn't see the problem....😄 Anyway, 7Kaa is basically blobs that vaguely look  like people if you have a good imagination...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Going way way back to Wolf3D that we though huge back then as it was over one megabyte big. Loved it as my first '3D' FPS.