Site redesign - sneak peek - part 1

TheTokenGeek

Here are some suggestions you might consider:

I find the boxarts better to find your game. When I think about a game the first thing that comes to my mind are its logo & letterhead, the main menu and the boxart. I don't know why everybody thinks about the nord with horned helmet when they think about Skyrim, the first thing that comes to my mind is the empire symbol in metal that shows in the main menu. The first thing I think with Oblivion is the writing OBLIVION & the Imperial City and not a legionnaire. I only noticed the tiles were Skyrim & Oblivion because I know they are the first ones.

At the mods list at the bottom I noticed you forgot to add to which game the mod was made for. A vital information.

All those plus icons clutter the view, I see it's to show their existence or people would not use them, but they do clutter the view.

There should have more spacing between sections with bigger headers. Without it the site looks too condensed and it gets tiresome fast.

Consider reducing the amount of games, news and mods in the front page. There's too much scrolling to show nothing. By reducing one line of games you can already see part of the first news without scrolling, which will increase clicks to them. The front page is where you throw the baits to make people navigate the site, it's just a welcome page to give a glimpse of what's inside, if it has too many or too few content people will not consider clicking on anything.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #41272545. #41272865, #41272980, #41273020 are all replies on the same post.

alt3rn1ty wrote: It looks like Bethesda.net - And people are wanting somewhere to get away from that awful mess

Why does the site need favourites "on site", when every browser we use has bookmarks which do the same job ?
Ladez wrote: Because my browser bookmarks are already cluttered with hundreds of links. Having on-site favorites would save me from a ton of hassle.
}{ellKnight wrote: So you can quickly access your the nexus site for your games quickly. The current site already has such a feature (been there for a while), just hover over the nexusnetwork button in the upper right corner of the page bellow your name.

Personally I prefer to not fill my bookmarks with subpages I can already easily access.
disi30 wrote: I still don't know what Bethesda.net is supposed to be.
There is just a bunch of pictures, no forum, no content whatsoever.

Also site-side bookmarks don't disappear if you change browsers.

I really like the new design, very modern and clean! :)

But I really hope we will be able to use the random feature for each seperate game.

I like the new images for the games instead of the boxart images.

Is there a date for when we can expect the new design to be released?

Edited by Tywele

In response to post #41271905.

Supertin wrote: Looks very clean and professional! I like it for the most part.

The only thing I don't really like (at all) is that there is going to be an option to download mods without ever visting the mod page/description. People already have trouble reading description pages, so giving them even less incentive to read them is not a good idea I'd say.

I agree with Supertin - unless you are seeing a lot of abandon rates when people visit description pages that you think are not related to "I can't use/don't want to use that mod", I'd send people to the description page.

You also lose an opportunity for revenue from AdClick (or whoever you use) on the interstitial page before downloading.

In response to post #41271905. #41273550 is also a reply to the same post.

The only thing I don't really like (at all) is that there is going to be an option to download mods without ever visting the mod page/description. People already have trouble reading description pages, so giving them even less incentive to read them is not a good idea I'd say.
stickbow wrote: I agree with Supertin - unless you are seeing a lot of abandon rates when people visit description pages that you think are not related to "I can't use/don't want to use that mod", I'd send people to the description page.

You also lose an opportunity for revenue from AdClick (or whoever you use) on the interstitial page before downloading.

I'm surprised so many other people don't like that idea as well. As far as I'm concerned, I've already told Paul about it when he first asked us for feedback, but it didn't sound like it was something they would be willing to change.

I remember something about it being possible to disable it for your mod, but I'm not sure anymore. Edited by ousnius

In response to post #41271905. #41273550, #41273750 are all replies on the same post.

stickbow wrote: I agree with Supertin - unless you are seeing a lot of abandon rates when people visit description pages that you think are not related to "I can't use/don't want to use that mod", I'd send people to the description page.

ousnius wrote: I'm surprised so many other people don't like that idea as well. As far as I'm concerned, I've already told Paul about it when he first asked us for feedback, but it didn't sound like it was something they would be willing to change.

I remember something about it being possible to disable it for your mod, but I'm not sure anymore.

Endorsements for mods will drop exponentially as well.
And honestly, this looks too much like the Bethesda.net modding site Edited by HadToRegister

It looks like a good start. I usually don't bother with nexus homepage because I'm modding only one game at the time, two games max, but I guess this could help me not to miss the interesting new mods for games I currently don't play. That said I'm looking forward to the preview of how a single game site/ mod page looks and works.

I'm not sure I like the idea of direct download. From the perspective of the mod user it looks like a timesaver, especially when updating dozens of mods I already know, but it could really annoy the mod authors with the amount of stupid comments why this or that doesn't work while they already explained everything. Maybe let the authors decide whether or not they want this thing active when uploading a mod, while keeping it disabled by default.

Edited by starfis