Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager and the introduction of Tannin42, our new head of NMM development

Dark0ne

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #43240755. #43241360 is also a reply to the same post.

GamerPoets wrote: One thing that I'm curious about and I didn't seem to find anywhere...

Will there still be (or the potential to retain) the ability (from MO) to view individual files that are being overwritten by others mods so that you can easily skim through them (each mod) and hide particular files from each mod?

ex: 1 texture from this mod (hide), 1 mesh from that mod(hide), so on... ?

One thing that I loved about M.O. was if I installed different texture mods I didn't have to worry about loosing the pieces of one that is already installed when installing new mods that overwrite parts of them. I could click a button and have a file from any mod at any time hidden or activated.
christoph392008 wrote: Seconded. Love that feature.

Thirded.

In response to post #43240430. #43241520, #43241765 are all replies on the same post.

ElRizzo wrote: Sounds good, as long as the virtual filing system from Mod Organizer makes it into the new NMM I'm all for it :), that is the one feature I cannot live without anymore and that I would miss dearly.
NexTextGorilla wrote: +1
TehPikachuHat wrote: +2

They're most likely just going to rebrand and expand upon the Mod Organizer 2 code, it would make no sense to hire Tannin42 only to have him completely scrap it, so it most surely will operate with that same core functionality. Edited by Guest

In response to post #43238875.

Clevon wrote: One thing I truly hope you consider is documentation. A powerful tool that's badly documented can be destructive. Additionally, poor documentation causes people to ask the same questions over and over until they "sledgehammer" their way into understanding. In my opinion, documentation should be detailed if not exhaustive, and NOT contain vague and ambiguous references, or slang. English isn't everyone's first language.

I know you are familiar with many accomplished mod authors that have been vocal about their issues with MO, and in some cases intensely so. I would hope that you revisit some of these issues and the author's concerns, regardless of the decided source of the problem. Since your work at this point is foundational, this may be critical input.

Very best regards

<main point>
Perhaps a set of users of MO and NMM could be drafted to build a how to library of youtube videos. Will that be something that NM will put on the to do list if they opt for documentation.

<one perspective on the video help>
I understand that a table of contents beats videos by a long shot, but it seems (in my line of work at least) that people learn best when immersed in the thing they are learning. A tabbed video (meaning it has defined breaks and a TOC in the description) would allow a user to rapidly get to the point of the video that they need assistance with.

I dont use either MO or NMM so I dont have much to contribute except one question :

Multi-Scripted installers which include a Wizard.txt ( For Wrye Bash users ) in the root of the archive, AND a FOMod folder, and the usual array of xml's within ..

.. Will those still work as they do with NMM and MO - wizard.txt will be ignored and the FOMod scripting would take charge of the installation, to ensure compatability with mods existing out there from authors who may have left the scene

In response to post #43240430. #43241520, #43241765, #43241990 are all replies on the same post.

ElRizzo wrote: Sounds good, as long as the virtual filing system from Mod Organizer makes it into the new NMM I'm all for it :), that is the one feature I cannot live without anymore and that I would miss dearly.
NexTextGorilla wrote: +1
TehPikachuHat wrote: +2
GrimBrunn wrote: They're most likely just going to rebrand and expand upon the Mod Organizer 2 code, it would make no sense to hire Tannin42 only to have him completely scrap it, so it most surely will operate with that same core functionality.

Congratulations Tannin!

I love to see NMM become something closely related to MO2.

NMM has problems supporting larges mods and I hope with Tannin's talent, he can do the same for NMM especially since MO has ended development. Edited by KeltecRFB

In response to post #43221435. #43222990, #43223060 are all replies on the same post.

janishewski wrote: I'm glad this is happening as work on NMM has gotten progressively worse. I appreciate your honesty about the mess it has become. Earlier this year NMM worked and was stable, but with each update new problems were introduced and old ones never solved. My request is that the new manager have the profile system of MO, but I also want the mod list from NMM. I like to organize all of my downloaded mods into my own categories through renaming them. Just have a mods tab, a load order tab, and a current profile tab showing which mods are installed from your mod list on this profile. Also, in the meantime while you are developing the new NMM, could you put up an older stable version, because the current update is completely broken. Good luck.
Onichu wrote: Yes, MO's profile system is an absolute MUST in my book! Plus, I don't know about NMM, but I do know that with MO, you can just manually download mods onto your computer and then copy/paste them into the downloads folder--from what I've read in various mod comment sections, downloading via NMM is generally not as reliable, nor is it always possible to begin with.
Ethreon wrote: Except it is completely possible to download manually or automatic with NMM. So.. nonsense much?

I've had very few problems downloading with NMM. Sometimes that is an issue with the site itself more than any issue with NMM and yes, you can download manually and then add to NMM. It will be interesting to see how this project progresses.

I'm not sure if this is where we should post ideas for the new program, but since one of the struggles stated is finding that balance between ease of use for casual users and access and complexity for advanced users, it might be as simple as a toggle button to hide advanced features, block certain keybinding shortcuts, etc. Just have an icon that switches between B and A when you click on it to give the Basic and Advanced interface. Or it's a stupid idea and I look foolish. Either way it is out there now :).