Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager and the introduction of Tannin42, our new head of NMM development

Dark0ne

In response to post #43224730. #43229715, #43231195, #43231225, #43234520, #43237900, #43238095, #43248580, #43248780, #43256345, #43256845, #43258870, #43261500, #43262515, #43262825, #43264055, #43264355, #43265250, #43265975, #43266150, #43268550, #43270650 are all replies on the same post.

fgambler wrote: What will be the name of the new app? NMO (Nexus Mod Organizer)? :D
Tannin42 wrote: Suggestions are welcome... :D
GuardianAngel42 wrote: NNMM: New Nexus Mod Manager.
renthal311 wrote: hahaha Fgambler, I'm with tears in his eyes :D :D
pStyl3 wrote: NexMO = Nexus Mod Organizer
HadToRegister wrote: I like what someone previously suggested but without the 'x'

NeMO = Nexus Mod Organizer
Thallassa wrote: I think NeMO is the best one I've heard, but I'm still partial to "NOMM" (not quite sure how that acronym works out but it's cute).
fgambler wrote: NeMO kinda sounds nice but not so serious, it's a name either attached to a fish or a nintendo 8-bit game :P
HadToRegister wrote: I was thinking of a famous Submarine Captain from a book by Jules Verne ;)
FreeWare wrote: How about NMM v2.0? Or 1.0 could work too. The name doesn't really need to change, it's already as good as it can be.
spartanops101 wrote: NMUMMMO - Nexus Mod's Ultimate Mod Manager and Mod Organiser
}{ellKnight wrote: Voting for NeMO.

Optionally include images of sushi.
Warsadle wrote: NMO = Nexus Mod Organiser is a straight foreword combination of the names, okay.

NNMM = New Nexus Mod Manager, too many repeated letters in the acronym to be used as a short hand name.

NexMO = Nexus Mod Organiser, good name and it rolls of the tong easy.

NeMO = Nexus Mod Organiser, also a good name, and the acronym is good.

NOMM = Up to readers interpretation of how the acronym works, mine would be
Nexus Organising Mod Manager, funny name though!

What I would use?

Mod Library Organiser (MLO (pronunciation: EM-Low))
hex77x wrote: Gaming Extras Tool Designed As Totally Awesome Stuff Stuffer.
KeltecRFB wrote: I like NOMM, NexMO, NMO, or NEXT (no acronym, simply means the NEXT Nexus Mod Manager).
northtreker wrote: Nemo could also reference Ulysses (Odysseus) calling himself Nemo - nobody (Outis) to fool the cyclops and show that the Gods had looked away from him in the Illiad.

It sounds like this new organizer has gone on a long journey to come home.
pedantic wrote: MOLE - Mod organiser legendary edition.

Edit: Avogadro Number, anyone? Not to mention burrowing :D
chrislm wrote: NUMM: Nexus Ultimate Mod Manager
HadToRegister wrote:

pedantic

Edit: Avogadro Number, anyone? Not to mention burrowing

Not to be confused with Avocado's Number which shows the number of atoms in a guacamole
pedantic wrote: @HadToRegister

Lol - yeah. I was simply referring to the " chemistry " of the thing, plus a HUGE number! All encompassing. :D
KensaiTonada wrote: I'm Digging NeMO and NEXMO
wagonborn wrote: Nexus Mod Organizer seems fitting, and it can be read like "en-moe" when abbreviated to NMO, which I think is pretty snazzy

How about MODIT

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if you will read this one, Tannin42, but I have been using MO for years. Thank you for all of the work you have done for years for the community for little or no pay at all. I am thrilled to have you joining the Nexus team full time as a paid developer. I look forward to the next version of a mod manager that is provided for the use of the community. Thank you also for the quick feedback you always provided on your repo. I can't wait to see what the future holds. I have posted in the past as TheGreenDragon on your repo. If I can be of any assistance, I will be glad to help. Edited by Puff3r

Looks good, but you only make me feel more guilty about using adblocker. :(

I really want to support you guys, but I don't have a card which is accepted on your site and the ads are awful (even thought I got hacked once, but it was just the ads).

In response to post #43224730. #43229715, #43231195, #43231225, #43234520, #43237900, #43238095, #43248580, #43248780, #43256345, #43256845, #43258870, #43261500, #43262515, #43262825, #43264055, #43264355, #43265250, #43265975, #43266150, #43268550, #43270650, #43271300 are all replies on the same post.

fgambler wrote: What will be the name of the new app? NMO (Nexus Mod Organizer)? :D
HadToRegister wrote: I like what someone previously suggested but without the 'x'

Thallassa wrote: I think NeMO is the best one I've heard, but I'm still partial to "NOMM" (not quite sure how that acronym works out but it's cute).
fgambler wrote: NeMO kinda sounds nice but not so serious, it's a name either attached to a fish or a nintendo 8-bit game :P
HadToRegister wrote: I was thinking of a famous Submarine Captain from a book by Jules Verne ;)
FreeWare wrote: How about NMM v2.0? Or 1.0 could work too. The name doesn't really need to change, it's already as good as it can be.
spartanops101 wrote: NMUMMMO - Nexus Mod's Ultimate Mod Manager and Mod Organiser

Warsadle wrote: NMO = Nexus Mod Organiser is a straight foreword combination of the names, okay.

NNMM = New Nexus Mod Manager, too many repeated letters in the acronym to be used as a short hand name.

What I would use?

KeltecRFB wrote: I like NOMM, NexMO, NMO, or NEXT (no acronym, simply means the NEXT Nexus Mod Manager).
northtreker wrote: Nemo could also reference Ulysses (Odysseus) calling himself Nemo - nobody (Outis) to fool the cyclops and show that the Gods had looked away from him in the Illiad.

HadToRegister wrote:

pedantic

Not to be confused with Avocado's Number which shows the number of atoms in a guacamole

Lol - yeah. I was simply referring to the " chemistry " of the thing, plus a HUGE number! All encompassing. :D
wagonborn wrote: Nexus Mod Organizer seems fitting, and it can be read like "en-moe" when abbreviated to NMO, which I think is pretty snazzy
Poacher886 wrote: How about MODIT

I'm liking NeMO and NexMO

Quote: "Essentially, we’re going to stop all further major development on the current version of NMM to focus on the new software. We will be releasing bug fixes as and when necessary to keep support for the current games (including Skyrim SE), but the current version available on the site, version 0.63, is going to be the last version with any major functionality additions."

My reaction to this: "Hallelujah!"

First Hi Tannin ... would it be possible to have Merge option for scripts also T5edit . I know I am asking a lot but there are so many times that every thing reports ok when there is a bug that takes forever to track down , may be a log error system .There are some really good mods on Nexus ,.... Papyrus is just one ,.... DCF that fixes that dreaded cursor bug . A save system built directly into NMM , SKSE saves can be bugged so easy . just a few wondering if possible Thanks .

In response to post #43224730. #43229715, #43231195, #43231225, #43234520, #43237900, #43238095, #43248580, #43248780, #43256345, #43256845, #43258870, #43261500, #43262515, #43262825, #43264055, #43264355, #43265250, #43265975, #43266150, #43268550, #43270650, #43271300, #43272015 are all replies on the same post.

What I would use?

HadToRegister wrote:

pedantic

Poacher886 wrote: How about MODIT
CyniclyPink wrote: I'm liking NeMO and NexMO

+NMO

But call it rotten fish, just as long as it's ready to handle what ever comes out on OCT28, as well as MO did!

Also, please please keep the virtual directories, that is a god send.

Good stuff.

I've been avoiding MO since I like to physically see the files in my folder annnnd I was worried I wouldn't be able to edit them in the CK with MO.

I'd love to be able to have the benefits of MO while still keeping my files accessible so I can edit them if I feel like it.

Not to mention my animations are not from one mod either, I've taken single files across several mods to use my favorite animations from each mod since some mods have great combat animations but no sprinting with weapons drawn animations that suit my taste.

I've avoided switching since I feared having a virtual install might get in the way of that and of course because I'd have to reinstall everything.

I hope you really will be able to combine all the features.

I suspect the best way to approach it would be allow the user to possibly turn on and off any and all features as well as during the first installation an option to choose NMM simple interface or MO complex interface as your default.

Although, I'm sure you've already thought of that.

In response to post #43238875. #43242185, #43263035, #43263935 are all replies on the same post.

Clevon wrote: One thing I truly hope you consider is documentation. A powerful tool that's badly documented can be destructive. Additionally, poor documentation causes people to ask the same questions over and over until they "sledgehammer" their way into understanding. In my opinion, documentation should be detailed if not exhaustive, and NOT contain vague and ambiguous references, or slang. English isn't everyone's first language.

I know you are familiar with many accomplished mod authors that have been vocal about their issues with MO, and in some cases intensely so. I would hope that you revisit some of these issues and the author's concerns, regardless of the decided source of the problem. Since your work at this point is foundational, this may be critical input.

Very best regards
steelpanther24 wrote: <main point>
Perhaps a set of users of MO and NMM could be drafted to build a how to library of youtube videos. Will that be something that NM will put on the to do list if they opt for documentation.

<one perspective on the video help>
I understand that a table of contents beats videos by a long shot, but it seems (in my line of work at least) that people learn best when immersed in the thing they are learning. A tabbed video (meaning it has defined breaks and a TOC in the description) would allow a user to rapidly get to the point of the video that they need assistance with.
Clevon wrote: Agree with you on video format. Great examples of these IMHO are the GamerPoets videos.
northtreker wrote: I'm also very confident Gopher will put out tutorial videos when the NMMO goes live.

I would just like to add that not everyone likes video for getting information, and only having a video library that explains things is going to shut a lot of people out. Both text and video have pros and cons. I often prefer reading text and looking at accompanying images, for instance, because text is searchable, and I don't have to potentially listen to someone's (unclear) voice, and have to sit through an overlong presentation that may be of poor quality (audio, video, or both), and has no subtitles. I've seen my share of YouTube videos that take several minutes to explain something that could be conveyed by text in a fraction of the time. A lot of things contribute to this, a popular one being setup in the video (people fiddling with files and programs in their OS, mistakes, etc...).

Not everyone who does video can do it well, and it's unreasonable to expect just anyone to be good at giving a presentation.

I hope that whenever this...thing...comes out, its has text documentation. If it has video too, that's fine.

In response to post #43268200.

OnyxSix wrote: If this doesn't end up having MO's virtual file system(Not a butchered, broken version, the exact vfs that MO has) then this will go unused by me no matter how many bells and whistles you strap to it.

Might be fine for a good chunk of people, and that's ok, but it won't be for me. I'd honestly rather stick to an alpha version of Mod Organizer than use a mod manager without that VFS again, it was just too good of a feature to go back to not using.

Yes I'm aware my opinion isn't worth the dirt on most people's boots but I'm sharing it either way, just to get it out there into the void.

I wish you all the best regardless, hope it turns out well.

And conversely, many people won't touch it if the VFS is a core feature that can't be turned off. Which is why it should be offered as an extension module for those who want it. That keeps everyone happy.