Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager and the introduction of Tannin42, our new head of NMM development

Dark0ne

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds to me like you are winning the game here. Whether or not it's a promotion (lead programmer of a small dev team) it's not the kind of leap that someone takes without the internal motivation to chase that thing that makes them tick.

As a programmer myself (node, etc), and a past life where I took the leap from Quake-engine hobbyist to that of "paid professional", I can see that this is an exciting time for you. It's a scary leap to make, but it's invigorating, energizing, ain't it?

Lastly, your mental filter that catches the naysayers, pre-complainers, pre-requesters and haters is going to need a bit more energy now that you have some 10x the people hanging on your every word.

Congratulations, all the way around.

May your unit-tests complete and your compiles be error free.

In response to post #43209810.

christoph392008 wrote: Stunning. Explains a lot on the MO end tho. Being saddled with NMM (lacking a stable MO for FO4) hasn't always been a pleasure.

Excited to see what happens!

Please don't draw the wrong conclusion here: MO2 progress was very slow long before I was offered this position. My previous job was quite tiring and made it hard for me to invest time into MO.
This slow progress on MO was a reason for me to accept the offer, it wasn't the other way around.

Of course there was some progress on MO and now there is none but I'm not sure if I would have had a stable MO2 anytime soon even if I had continued.

Edited by monsto

I'm glad this is happening as work on NMM has gotten progressively worse. I appreciate your honesty about the mess it has become. Earlier this year NMM worked and was stable, but with each update new problems were introduced and old ones never solved. My request is that the new manager have the profile system of MO, but I also want the mod list from NMM. I like to organize all of my downloaded mods into my own categories through renaming them. Just have a mods tab, a load order tab, and a current profile tab showing which mods are installed from your mod list on this profile. Also, in the meantime while you are developing the new NMM, could you put up an older stable version, because the current update is completely broken. Good luck.

In response to post #43210580. #43210750 is also a reply to the same post.

IceBox wrote: Based on the "complaints" coming up already, wouldn't it be a good idea to simply offer two seperate views like "simple" and "advanced".
Simple covers the basics like turning mods on and off, basic load order etc. like NMM currently does while the advanced view offers things like managing data overrides etc.?

People with a low amount of conflicts can just stick to the simple view and be happy and not worry about which file gets overwritten by what, while more advanced users can fiddle with their overrides etc.

Simple might just look like OBMM/FOMM while advanced looks along the lines of NMM/MO?

Just and idea :D
Tannin42 wrote: Basically we plan to build the new mod manager very modular and extensible.
The base application will then be a very simple tool with only the necessary functions. When you need an advanced feature you add the appropriate extensions.
A moddable mod manager basically.
This way you get a smoother learning curve and the UI isn't as cluttered with features you never use.

But that's only the vision, how much of that we can realize remains to be seen.

That's an interesting concept! While I've only ever used NMM and not MO, and with my current interest in the learning and understanding of modding game content, I think this is a fantastic idea if possible to implement successfully. And congratulations on the new position! Glad to see another passionate member of the Nexus come along! :)

Congratulations, Tannin42 of your new position on the NMM Developer Team! I look forward to seeing what you all have in store for us in the coming weeks/months.

If you need someone to pipe-in, Beta test or whatnot, I will gladly donate my time.

In response to post #43220085.

prinyo wrote:

Well, it is obvious the first and probably most important decision they need to make is the hardest - what system for mod install to use.

And there is no correct answer it seems as whatever they do there will be a vocal opposition.

On one hand you have people who want "a clean data directory", "mod isolation" and virtualization. And there are those who want it to work the way NMM used to work before 0.6 was introduced. I guess nobody wants it to work the way NMM works now - with the virtual install and the symlinks.

They can probably do those 2 things with no problems. Make the base manager install mods directly and provide a module that would change that to some sort of virtualization.

If instead they choose one of those paths there will be an outcry. It seems there is simply no correct answer to this except in providing a switch.

I disagree. To a simple user, they are unlikely to want to be diving into the data folder anyway unless they absolutely have to. Which means virtualisation will not impact on them in the slightest. And if someone DOES, all they need to do is go to the folder where the mod manager unpacks its files into and find the folder for the mod they're looking for. All the stuff is there. It's not hard. Virtualisation is better in every single way IMO.