Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager and the introduction of Tannin42, our new head of NMM development

Dark0ne

In response to post #43651370. #43651500, #43651570, #43651760 are all replies on the same post.

Percephere wrote: So will Mod Organizer be worked on at all any more? I really prefer it to NMM.

I'd be much more willing to swap if NMO were made a bit more like MO. Being able to install mods into folders for virtual directory is the selling point for me, but I don't think I can live without the ability to check and uncheck files upon the installation of a mod - at least when lacking a FOMOD setup.

TBH I can't quite make a decision about this project until I see it with my own eyes. I don't want this to turn out bad for the same reasons I hope my favorite games developers don't mess up; they probably won't, but they still manage to do it from time to time.
SkyrimCliff wrote: No, MO is dead. All focus will be on NMO. And I believe just about every single MO user on Earth agrees with you that nobody wants to compromise for less featres, and less flexibility/control. I highly suspect that this will be taken into account because who else better to give us the MO features we want to keep, than the guy who gave us the features to begin with. In the large scope, this is a plus for everyone.
Percephere wrote: This is very sad news for me.

" Don't fix what isn't broken. "
SkyrimCliff wrote: You're missing the point. Nexus Mod Manager, WAS broken, it just wasn't any good for power users like us who use MO. This means that the new MO (NMO) now becomes the official branded Nexus software, built by the guy who gave us MO. He isn;t just going to say screw MO function and throw it out the window, it will be better, because now he's actually being paid to build this new manager. How could you possibly ever be sad about this. MO will come back with a new name, and even more feature rich than ever before. This is a GOOD thing.

I suppose so. The idea of the guy who made MO now to help with the new Nexus manager isn't too bad. But again, this hinges on the quality of the final product. I almost entirely expect NMO to be pretty good, but things like this have gone south before. Edited by Percephere

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm late to reading this but in case this feedback can still be heard: PLEASE CONSULT A UI designer. Both Nexus and Mod Organizer were very ugly and just plain not user-friendly. A good interface would be so much nicer and more intuitive for newcomers and experienced modders alike.

If you need a hand... :)

In response to post #43600675. #43602615, #43640040 are all replies on the same post.

hati39 wrote: Unfortunately I never got an answer to my posting on 19 Oct 2016, and there seem to be more people interested to:

Any idea or perhaps a timeline from the devs about what period we are talking about? Days? Weeks? Months? Years?

Just because the day comes closer when I have to decide whether I start modding manually or wait for a tool.
Kuliator wrote: As a programmer, it's quite difficult to give an approximate release date, even harder if it is something this big from scratch, so wait a month, and probably they would have an idea of how much time this will take so they give us a date.
hati39 wrote: Oh yes, I know, I'm far from asking for a release date. And under normal circumstances I wouldn't ask. But in less than 2 hours my dl is ready and I'm pretty sure that there will be mods I'm desperalety missing.

So if they say, "we can use parts of the code and are sure to have an alpha ready in a few weeks", I would wait for a while.
But if they say, "we are only 2 coders and really create from scratch using new tools we are not familiar with, we may could present a pre-alpha late 2017", I would start the good old manual way, with all it's extra work and disk space and waiting time for copying 20gig to external hds before overwriting half of the games data etc ;)

However, perhaps after 2 weeks they might had one or the other meeting and could at least give a hint if we are talking about 2 weeks or 2 years.

You can continue to use NMM or MO, its not like suddenly today they broke. The new manager likely won't come out for another couple months, but when it does you could spend an hour or two putting your mods back together

Tannin took the logical, and beneficial step.

I personally do not have fears about the upcoming NMM, or whatever name it will have, as long as it will be able to provide the power of MO, and the simplicity of NMM

Maybe a full, and a lite version, or just a switch to advanced mode, or just magically doing both simultaneously.

It will surely be good.

Also, I hope it means Tannin has waaaay less stress in his life now :) That always helps in creating.

New World Order, written upside down, becomes NMO, back-to-front > OWN. MO has been the best imho, and Nexus an excellent site, so this should be excellent news. (And in the meantime, I note x64 Wrye Bash is already out !). Since Skyrim SE is x64, hopefully there will (soon?) be an x64 N/MO, with all the promise of x64 - virtually no memory ceiling (so long as you have the RAM) and better memory management, etc. Waahooooo ! AND better graphics, and better AI, ... hopefully x64 does/will include multi-core (CPU) support as these seem to be the norm for some time now in gaming machines, not just the best bleeding-edge ones. Since I installed FNIS, there's been a very long load-time every time I go through a door/gate, so I'm hoping that, whatever the root of that is, x64 and multicore support will fix it. Of course these things take time, so it'll be good to re-experience vanilla Skyrim again, and later to re-experience the mind-blowingness of some mods (eg, bigger trees, just that alone Skyrim /Oblivion does utterly amazing things to the feel of the game) on top of the mind-blowingness of x64 SSE..... And ABSOLUTELY thanks to Bethesda not only for the game, but also for the attitude in releasing SSE free to SLE users. :D :D :D Edited by JoruneSkyman